Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I need advice- Id really like to study veterinary medicine at uni but im not sure exactly which A-levels to chose. I have already definitely decided on Biology ,Chemistry and Geography i was going to do English as my forth as ive always achieved very highly in this however id really like to get into a top veterinary uni! My first concern is that my maths isnt strong enough, im now at a B/A grade but not massively confident. However i like all my gsce subjects including physic in the past two modules ive achieved 90% and 89%. Ive spoken to my teacher and she thinks i could do it id just need to work the my maths more.I also got a scholarship in to a great private school so ill probably get more support. Will three science be to much? Is it pointless just to take three sciences even though i only need three for cambridge and glasgow and probably wont get in there anyway? HELP!!

ReputationRep:
    Physics! Personally, I think you should have a mathematical subject as you are applying for a science degree. So physics seems the obvious choice

ReputationRep:
    Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Im worried the maths is going to be extremly hard!!

ReputationRep:
    There are only 7 places, i think, that do veterinary science as a course, so really they're all top, since VetMed is just as competitive as medicine etc.
    Bio and chem are a must-have, and maths I've heard is quite desired, considering you have to do quick calculations about medicine and stuff like that, my vet applicant friend tells me. The fourth could be anything, so pick something you enjoy and feel might enhance your application, you need to get everything possible in your arsenal for applying.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go to Cambridge or poss Edinburgh, then you will need either maths or physics a level. If you want to apply to the rvc, Nottingham, Bristol, Liverpool or Glasgow then you don't need physics or maths and anyone who does those subjects will not have any advantage. It's up to you, but physics is quite mathsy and if maths isn't your strong point at gcse then you may struggle a bit with physics. I do physics and don't do maths and I do struggle with some aspects of maths in physics.
    If you are not planning on applying to Edinburgh or Cambridge then or would say do english, its far better to get an A in English than struggle all the way through physics not enjoying it and end up with a B. As far as I remember, for Liverpool you need an B in a 4th AS subject, just something to bear in mind and make sure you can a achieve
    Good luck!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere except Cambridge will allow any third academic subject at A2 alongside Biology and Chemistry. It is no longer the case that Edinburgh wants Physics or Maths. Applicants with a non-science third subject will not be treated any differently to applicants with a science/maths third subject.

My advice would be to go with the subject that you can get the highest grade in, since it's more about the grades and not the choice of the third subject. You'll need AAA to stand a chance at most vet schools, the only exceptions being Nottingham (AAB) and of course Surrey (AAB).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with Cetacea, that unless you want to go to Cambridge, you are best doing a subject where can get a higher grade in. You will not be treated any differently if you do English vs Physics. If you want, email the admissions tutors to ask if you will be considered equal or not. However, I can assure you that's not the case for all bar Cambridge, and have plenty of friends who did not do 3 sciences!

(Original post by savethegoldfish)
    maths I've heard is quite desired, considering you have to do quick calculations about medicine and stuff like that, my vet applicant friend tells me.
    I disagree that A level would help you become a vet in itself. Yes, you do use basic maths in practice, but at A level you mainly do calculus, trigonometry etc. and not mental arithmetic.

ReputationRep:
    English in my personal opinion. I took physics at AS and hated it, which ultimately led to a very poor gradr, but what ever you feel happier with is what's best for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I also want to do vet med, and am doing AS. I started by doing all three sciences, and did physics for about 3 weeks and absolutely hated it, so I dropped it for psychology instead. I found it boring and the maths is definitely a step up from gcse. My school said that physics is best accompanied with maths, and they weren't wrong there!

Go for physics if you really feel you're going to enjoy it, I do English a level too and I love it! I'm so glad I changed as well. Unless you're aiming for Cambridge and really want to do physics I'd stick with English, but it's your choice at the end of the day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do Physics, it's awsooooooommmmeeeee :nutcase:

Poll
Do you prefer hot dogs or burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.