Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Ultimate student budget shopping list for £15 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    I've just spent the last 3 minutes laughing at this.
    :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas for someone who is a bit active and doesn't weigh less than 10 stone? I would starve if I followed these lists seriously and I'm not overweight at all (5 ft 10 and 11 stone).

ReputationRep:
    Tesco - The barebones budget: £9.47

Breakfast:
    Creamfields milk 4pints = 1.00
    Porridge oats 1kg = 75p

Lunch:
    Value soup (different flavours) = 24p x 3 = 72p
    Bread 800g = 50p
    Jam 454g = 29p
    Sunflower spread 500g = 75p

Dinner:

Pasta 500g = 30p
    Tinned tomatoes 400g = 31p x 2 = 62p
    Brown onions = 19p x 2 = 38p
    Garlic = 30p

Value sausages x 8 = 56p
    Small potatoes 1kg = 69p

Rice 1kg = 1.39
    Value curry sauce 440g = 20p

Dessert:
    Tinned pineapple 540g = 25p
    Tinned peaches 410g = 29p
    Tinned mandarin 298g = 48p

May not be exciting or particularly tasty, but you have everything you need for under a tenner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedd)
    Tesco - The barebones budget: £9.47

Breakfast:
    Creamfields milk 4pints = 1.00
    Porridge oats 1kg = 75p

Lunch:
    Value soup (different flavours) = 24p x 3 = 72p
    Bread 800g = 50p
    Jam 454g = 29p
    Sunflower spread 500g = 75p

Dinner:

Pasta 500g = 30p
    Tinned tomatoes 400g = 31p x 2 = 62p
    Brown onions = 19p x 2 = 38p
    Garlic = 30p

Value sausages x 8 = 56p
    Small potatoes 1kg = 69p

Rice 1kg = 1.39
    Value curry sauce 440g = 20p

Dessert:
    Tinned pineapple 540g = 25p
    Tinned peaches 410g = 29p
    Tinned mandarin 298g = 48p

May not be exciting or particularly tasty, but you have everything you need for under a tenner!
    Except protein. Good effort but that list is making me feel a bit sick.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why people are budgeting £10-£15 on food a week. Where does the rest of your money go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Except protein. Good effort but that list is making me feel a bit sick.
    The sausages are for protein of course! Perhaps I could replace the pasta with lentils to balance it. I agree that I would be miserable eating that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Toilet Roll 4 rolls for 67p, 2L bleach 29p, antibac spray 79p, washing powder £1.75, fabric conditioner 99p, coffee granules 47p, tea bags 27p, orange squash 47p, 2L bottle lemonade 24p, 2L bottle cola 24p, chips 82p, jam 29p, 12 pack crisps 59p, 2 packs of biscuits 66p, sugar 89p, 2 types of cereal £1.69, pickle 24p, ketchup 65p, vinegar 39p, 1KG rice 40p, 500G pasta 29p, spaghetti 20p, gravy 62p, chilli con carne mix 30p, 1KG salt 25p, 4 tins of soup 98p, 3 packs of noodles 60p, 2 bag of mash 40p, tinned carrots 20p, tinned peas 20p, new potatoes (tinned) 20p, 2 tins of beans 45p, loaf of bread 47p, 1 pizza 50p, 3 ready meals £2.85, pack of ham 75p, 8 sausages 66p, chicken coujons £2.00, mince £1.75, 4 yoghurts 33p, grated cheese £1.00, 4 pint milk £1.00, 15 eggs £1.35, butter 89p, grapes £1.25, 5 bananas 61p. Total of £32.92! Thanks to TESCO! Its not £15 but once you've got most of this for the first time you might not have to buy it again for a few weeks, things such as Rice, Pasta and Spaghetti!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    brb shopping at M&S with 15 quid...

With so little money why aint people shopping at Aldi, Lildi and Iceland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    brb shopping at M&S with 15 quid...

With so little money why aint people shopping at Aldi, Lildi and Iceland?
    Where I live has neither Aldi nor Lidl. And Iceland isn't actually that good value.

ReputationRep:
    If you have PCOS, the last thing you want is processed meat packed with crap, fillers, hormones etc. If you look at the ingredients you'll probably find that a lot of the fillers are carb based and there is only a small amount of protein and meat.

ReputationRep:
    Tesco value items aldi and lidl special offers sometimes some cheap veg and oranges to prevent scurvy :P

ReputationRep:
    I think this thread is a great idea, but a few pieces of advice to help make money go further:

~ Make meals in bulk, and then freeze portions. There is much less waste, and it then means you have to cook less often.
    ~ Do your food shop with a friend. Lots of items are meant for 2 people, or on BOGOF's so you end up with twice as much as you need for the same price. This way, you get a portion for one, at less of the cost.
    ~ Make the most of the freezer!! Freeze portions, freeze bread, fruit and veg to avoid it going off.
    ~ Find out when you're local shops reductions go out. Lots of items will get reduced around 8pm.
    ~ Asian food markets are great for cheap spices
    ~ Buy cheap veg and freeze it, then add this to meals to help bulk them out.
    ~ It's cheaper to buy a 6 pack of crisps, and take them to uni as you need, than buying bags occasionally out of vending machines.
    ~ Always keep some dried fruit/nuts/cereal bar/chocolate bar etc in your bag. That way you have something to snack on, rather than spending out on vending machines, or a piece of cake with a coffee.

Ideas of cheap meals to make in bulk. All are very easy to make 6-8 portions of.
    ~ Lasagne
    ~ Chilli con carne
    ~ Spaghetti Bolognese
    ~ Curry
    ~ Pasta sauce
    ~ Soup
    ~ Stews

All of the above can be served with veg, or have veg cooked into it to make the sauces go further.

I'll have to find some of my old shopping lists.
    I would buy 2 weeks worth of food in one go, at a cost of approx £35. And then spend about £3 a week on salad. I'd buy my salad fresh as I needed it.

I NEVER scrimped on meat quality. I'd much rather go without, than eat bad meat! And would almost certainly eat meat at least once a day. So I learnt to economise by having half a chicken breast in a curry sauce portion (so 2 breasts would make 4 portions) and then bulking it out with cheaper peppers, broccoli, carrots, sweet potato etc. Whatever veg was reduced that week.

I'm allergic to mushrooms, so switching to Quorn was never an option for me. However, turkey is a good, healthier and cheaper, substitute for chicken. If it's in a sauce like curry, then you can barely taste the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Now if I could only convert this to dollars, this is genius...

Stealing roommates frozen pizza = $0.00 :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    Any ideas for someone who is a bit active and doesn't weigh less than 10 stone? I would starve if I followed these lists seriously and I'm not overweight at all (5 ft 10 and 11 stone).
    Jesus, this 100x. How are you all still alive living off cardboard? If you can sell 4 chicken breasts for a pound, that chicken can only have been found on the roadside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Cat)
    auberjeans of course
    I'm only just reading this now, but oh my God hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    To further my above post:

Here is an example menu and shopping list, for 2 weeks worth of food.
    The only thing that would need to be bought in addition to this would be fresh salad and milk as required (approx £3 per week).
    This does presume you have some spices and herbs in to make sauces. I have presumed you still have some rice left over from the previous shop, but you need to buy pasta this week. This week you need to buy more squash, but didn't need to buy onions as the pack of 12 small onions you bought (£1) from the previous shop are still ok. Etc.
    I have deliberately not selected smart price brands. Just to show you that you do not need to scrimp on the food quality, to still eat well for cheap.
    You could obviously then swop onto cheaper brands, to allow for more treats at the same total, or just an overall cheaper shop.
    Total for 2 weels: £37.08

If anyone wants full recipes, then let me know

Within the menu, I've put fractions. This is to show how many portions you have used throughout the 2 weeks.

E.g. Sausage sandwich 1/6
    means that making a sausage sandwich uses 1 out of the 6 sausages you have bought.

Jacket potato 2/4
    Means you are using the 2nd potato, out of 4 you have purchased.

Bacon:
    4/12 means you have now used 4 of the 12 rashers of bacon purchased,

Week 1:
    Monday
    Breakfast: Coco Pops
    Lunch: Ham and salad sandwich, apple 1/6
    Dinner: Lasagne and veg. 1/6 portions

Tuesday
    Lunch: Philadelphia on toast, banana 1/5
    Dinner: Chilli con carne 1/6 and jacket potato (1/4)

Wednesday
    Lunch: Sausage sandwich. 1/6. grapes
    Dinner: Vegetable curry 1/6 portions

Thursday
    Lunch: Philadelphia on toast, grapes.
    Dinner: Chicken (1/2) and bacon (2/12) salad.

Friday
    Lunch: Ham sandwich, apple (2/6)
    Dinner: Pasta carbonara (philadelphia, 1/6 eggs, cheese, 2 rashers of bacon 4/12). Chocolate piece.

Saturday
    Breakfast: 2 rashers of bacon, 6/12, 1 sausage 2/6, 1 egg, 2/6, beans, toast.
    Lunch: No lunch as you got up at 11am and are full from breakfast Grapes, banana 2/5, yogurt, chocolate piece.
    Dinner: Lasagne and veg 2/6

Sunday
    Breakfast: Toast and marmite (left over from previous shop)
    Lunch: Ham salad, apple 3/6, chocolate piece
    Dinner: 2 x sausage (4/6), roast or mash potatoes (2/4 jacket potatoes), veg.

Week 2:
    Monday
    Breakfast: Coco pops
    Lunch: Spanish omelette (2 eggs (3/6), half a potato (2.5 potatoes), pepper)
    Dinner: Veg Curry (2/6) + 1 chicken breast (2/2).

Tuesday
    Lunch: Chunky cheese salad
    Dinner: Chilli con carne (2/6) and rice. Apple 4/6

Wednesday
    Lunch: Toast
    Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese (last of the mince/ 1/6 portions)

Thursday
    Lunch: Ham and cheese toasted sandwich, grapes, 3/5 bananas
    Dinner: Sausage casserole for one: 1 sausage (5/6), remaining half potato (3/4 potatoes), veg. Can add bacon rashers for extra flavour (6/12)

Friday
    Lunch: Chunky cheese salad, apple 4/6, grapes
    Dinner: Lasagne and veg (2/6)

Saturday
    Breakfast: 1 x sausage (6/6), 2 rashers of bacon (8/12), 1 x egg (4/6), toast
    Lunch: Same as last weekend! Yogurt, chocolate pieces, apple 5/6
    Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese (2/6)

Sunday
    Breakfast: Toast
    Lunch: Chunky cheese salad. Apple 6/6. Banana 4/5
    Dinner: Curry (3/6). Yogurt. Chocolate piece.

Hopefully I've done all my portions right. Apologies if I've miscounted something, it began to get complicated!!

You should still be left with portions of Spaghetti bolognese, curry, chilli con carne, and lasagne. So you main meals actually do 3 weeks. It's just the shopping for lunch and breakfast that necessitates bi-weekly shopping. If you were the sort who ate noodles or tinned soup for lunch, which would be the same cost, then your weekly shop could be the same price for 3 weeks worth, rather than the 2 weeks demonstrated here.

It's possibly not the heaviest on fruit and veg, although it should work out as 3 portions per day. Which is still better than most students!

Kingsmill 50/50 Medium 50p
    ASDA Chopped Tomatoes 4x390g £1.50
    ASDA Conchiglie 500g 50p
    ASDA Egg Lasagne 375g 50p
    Heinz Baked Beans 415g 50p
    Kelloggs Coco Pops 295g £1.98
    Dolmio Lasagne White Sauce 470g £1.94
    ASDA Toffee Low Fat Yogurt 4x125g £1.00
    Cathedral City Cheddar Mature Lighter 200g £2.00
    Philadelphia Soft Cheese Light Garlic & Herbs £1.00
    The Happy Egg Co Eggs Medium Free Range 6pk £1.75
    ASDA Apples Red Dessert x 6 £1.00
    ASDA Baking Potatoes x 4 £1.15
    ASDA Bananas x 5 £1.00
    ASDA Broccoli Florets £1.10
    ASDA Courgettes 3pk £1.00
    ASDA Garlic 30p
    ASDA Grapes Seedless Red 500g £1.50
    ASDA Leeks Trimmed 500g £1.00
    ASDA Mixed Peppers 3pk £1.00
    ASDA Smartprice Carrots British 2kg £1.18
    ASDA Bavarian Ham £1.00
    ASDA Extra Special Cumberland Sausages £2.50
    Butchers Selection Breast Fillets x 2 £2.20
    Butchers Selection Streaky Bacon Smoked x 12 rashers £1.98
    ASDA Lean Minced Beef Steak 454g £3.00
    ASDA Apple & Blackcurrant Double Strength Squash £1.00
    ASDA Bubbly Treat x 15 chocolate pieces £1.00

Shopping total* :£37.08

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.