The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances?

Does having parents that haven't gone to university or even finished school count? I'm on 5 A*'s at A level (Geog, Econ, EPQ, Biol, H&S), but my GCSEs are fairly average, even with quite a few resits (A*AABBBBBCC), plus I've done an extra year of Sixth Form (took H&S and Biol in year one, picked up Geog and Econ in year 2, and third year will be Geog and Econ A2, plus EPQ).

I was wondering if the fact that my household isn't very academic can therefore justify why my GCSE grades are lower than the average person wanting to go to uni's like UCL, Durham, etc.? I remember reading something about it, but I can't quite remember. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Some unis have special access schemes, and you can read about those here, but just having parents that didn't go to uni isn't enough to qualify.
Original post by Juno
Some unis have special access schemes, and you can read about those here, but just having parents that didn't go to uni isn't enough to qualify.

Ok, thanks for the reply :smile:. Out of interest, are they the only uni's that consider applicants with mitigating circumstances? For example, if you were a carer for your mum or something, could you mention that to any uni in an attempt to boost your application? My friend was a full time carer for his dad, and achieved average grades, but wants to go to a really good uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Enthusiastic A
Ok, thanks for the reply :smile:. Out of interest, are they the only uni's that consider applicants with mitigating circumstances? For example, if you were a carer for your mum or something, could you mention that to any uni in an attempt to boost your application? My friend was a full time carer for his dad, and achieved average grades, but wants to go to a really good uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other unis will consider mitigating circumstances although they don't have an official scheme for it. These things should be mentioned in your UCAS reference. However, being a full time carer is a very different situation to not having parents that went to uni - one is a reason for being more lenient and the other isn't.
Reply 4
I dont think itll count as mitigating circumstances as these are usually things running up to the exam e.g. death, illness, but you may be eligble for access schemes where there is a lower offer set :smile: with your A2 predictions/grades you don't need to worry tbh!
Original post by Libby18
I dont think itll count as mitigating circumstances as these are usually things running up to the exam e.g. death, illness, but you may be eligble for access schemes where there is a lower offer set :smile: with your A2 predictions/grades you don't need to worry tbh!

I know, but Bristol wouldn't even consider me because I didn't do 3 A2's in the same year, despite them only wanting AAA for Law, and I'll hopefully have A*A*A*A*A*. Oh well. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Other unis will consider mitigating circumstances although they don't have an official scheme for it. These things should be mentioned in your UCAS reference. However, being a full time carer is a very different situation to not having parents that went to uni - one is a reason for being more lenient and the other isn't.

Who exactly do you mention in your UCAS references?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending