Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How I revise for my A-Levels... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suncake)
    I thought the opposite, I always struggled more with chemistry and that's why my results confused me Ah well, as long as we're doing well eh! We're also doing exactly the same subjects :awesome: Are you in year 12 or 13?
    Haha, woo!
    I'm the opposite, always found chemistry quite easy and biology quite a bit harder.
    I'm in year 12, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary)
    This is basically 99% what I do :P

And I know how everyone goes on about just reading your notes/textbook doesn't help and that you have to do mind maps and revisions cards and stuff.... I just think that's total crap and your just wasting time. All I do when revising is read my revision guide and I came out with straight As...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly! Glad it's not just me who feels that way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelocscott)
    Thank you! Right I'm going to get them B's and I WILL get into Cardiff haha!

My exams are
    AS Electronics:
    ELEC1
    ELEC2
    AS Physics:
    PH1(resit)
    PH2
    AS/A2 Psychology:
    PSYA2(resit)
    PSYA3(resit)
    PSYA4
    AS/A2 Chemistry:
    CHEM1(resit)
    CHEM2(resit)
    CHEM4(resit)
    CHEM5

I'm hoping all hope isn't lost haha!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha naah, you've definitely still got time.
    If I were you, I'd start going over past papers for your resit subjects now, so you'll have all that done by the time it comes to do them for your new exams. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas95)
    Thanks this is so helpful and i have five exams in the summer (or maybe 6 havent decided on retaking AS English yet), do you think its too early to start revising/doing past papers i keep telling myself it is
    I think it's still a little early to be doing past papers (unless you're doing resits, in which case, it's probably best to start now). Just keep going over and over your notes so that you won't need to bother revising over subjects when it's closer to the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelocscott)
    Thank you! Right I'm going to get them B's and I WILL get into Cardiff haha!

My exams are
    AS Electronics:
    ELEC1
    ELEC2
    AS Physics:
    PH1(resit)
    PH2
    AS/A2 Psychology:
    PSYA2(resit)
    PSYA3(resit)
    PSYA4
    AS/A2 Chemistry:
    CHEM1(resit)
    CHEM2(resit)
    CHEM4(resit)
    CHEM5

I'm hoping all hope isn't lost haha!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

If you put your mind to it, I am sure you wil get the grades you need. I am in the same kinda position, I have 6 exams and I need all A's to get into my firm uni.

Good luck and i hope you get the grades you want

ReputationRep:
    This is gold. This is what I did this year after not doing so well in my AS's (Got BBCD overall) so I dropped the D and focused on bringing up the BBC, so I used a lot of what you say and came out with AAAAB in my January exams, and now I'm on course for Cardiff, I also use my revision guides a lot, I recommend to everyone to get revision guides, they really helped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    This is gold. This is what I did this year after not doing so well in my AS's (Got BBCD overall) so I dropped the D and focused on bringing up the BBC, so I used a lot of what you say and came out with AAAAB in my January exams, and now I'm on course for Cardiff, I also use my revision guides a lot, I recommend to everyone to get revision guides, they really helped me.
    I got the same in AS and in jan I got ACD which is rubbish for the amount of work i put in. HAve you got any tips to help me ?

ReputationRep:
    You seem like someone who knows his stuff. Please help me?
    My way of revising is:
    - take notes etc in class
    - do homework and make own notes in free periods and when i get home. I spend most of time in the library.
    - when we finish a topic, say in bio, i look over it by making computer notes which are often shorter and more concentrated. this sometimes takes half a day, but i seem to understand it at the time.
    - for maths, do extra questions when there's a difficult topic.

I know i should do extra questions after every lesson in every subject, but have so much time in the day. In the holidays I'm planning to look over all my topics in all subjects, and have quite a few past papers to complete for homework which should help, and also those " extra questions" in the books for physics and biology.

So, what do you think i'm doing wrong? I thought i did so well in january exams, and well.. didn't.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackroses19)
    I got the same in AS and in jan I got ACD which is rubbish for the amount of work i put in. HAve you got any tips to help me ?
    All the stuff the original poster I found I do it as well so take a look at that. Also, the Phillip Allan revision guides were really helpful, they condensed all the knowledge for my subjects into an easy to read guide. Past papers are also useful for learning how to structure your essays and stuff properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igloo1)
    You seem like someone who knows his stuff. Please help me?
    My way of revising is:
    - take notes etc in class
    - do homework and make own notes in free periods and when i get home. I spend most of time in the library.
    - when we finish a topic, say in bio, i look over it by making computer notes which are often shorter and more concentrated. this sometimes takes half a day, but i seem to understand it at the time.
    - for maths, do extra questions when there's a difficult topic.

I know i should do extra questions after every lesson in every subject, but have so much time in the day. In the holidays I'm planning to look over all my topics in all subjects, and have quite a few past papers to complete for homework which should help, and also those " extra questions" in the books for physics and biology.

So, what do you think i'm doing wrong? I thought i did so well in january exams, and well.. didn't.
    Thanks!
    Computer notes don't actually work at all for me, for some reason. I just find that it takes too long and it's pointless. A few of my friends type up all their notes though, so I suppose it depends on the person. Doing extra questions for difficult topics in maths is definitely the way to go.

I really have no idea what could have happened, perhaps it was even just a bad day or something. If you're doing any resits, make a start on those past papers now so you have a lot less to do when the exams get closer, so you'll be able to concentrate properly on your current exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swords N Thorns)
    Computer notes don't actually work at all for me, for some reason. I just find that it takes too long and it's pointless. A few of my friends type up all their notes though, so I suppose it depends on the person. Doing extra questions for difficult topics in maths is definitely the way to go.

I really have no idea what could have happened, perhaps it was even just a bad day or something. If you're doing any resits, make a start on those past papers now so you have a lot less to do when the exams get closer, so you'll be able to concentrate properly on your current exams.
    thanks! glad to have some reassurance im not wasting my time with revising this way.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2185709

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's still a little early to be doing past papers (unless you're doing resits, in which case, it's probably best to start now). Just keep going over and over your notes so that you won't need to bother revising over subjects when it's closer to the time.
    Thanks i'll definatley be starting on my resits pretty soon.. Any chance you study english? when it comes to revision I find it the hardest subject to revise for and have no idea where to start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas95)
    Thanks i'll definatley be starting on my resits pretty soon.. Any chance you study english? when it comes to revision I find it the hardest subject to revise for and have no idea where to start
    Yup, I study English lit.
    English is the only subject I actually keep my notes for. I keep them in a file over the year. A month or so before the exam, I'll read over them a few times and re-annotate all of my poems using the internet. I doubt I'll bother reading my books again, I'll probably just use my notes.
    Also, look at the assessment objectives! This is the most important thing of all. We do loads of exam questions in lessons, but if you don't get to do this, definitely do them in your free time and get your teacher to mark them.

I can't really comment on English lang.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I study English lit.
    English is the only subject I actually keep my notes for. I keep them in a file over the year. A month or so before the exam, I'll read over them a few times and re-annotate all of my poems using the internet. I doubt I'll bother reading my books again, I'll probably just use my notes.
    Also, look at the assessment objectives! This is the most important thing of all. We do loads of exam questions in lessons, but if you don't get to do this, definitely do them in your free time and get your teacher to mark them.

I can't really comment on English lang.
    Does re-annoting the texts actually help? By the time it comes to revising for the exam my folders so full and unorganised. I'm doing English Joint and have no idea how I'm going to remember Shakespeare's king lear inside out. I use York notes to help me with the play but its not that helpful at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yas95)
    Does re-annoting the texts actually help? By the time it comes to revising for the exam my folders so full and unorganised. I'm doing English Joint and have no idea how I'm going to remember Shakespeare's king lear inside out. I use York notes to help me with the play but its not that helpful at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only do lit, so I'm not too sure, but I keep a ringbinder and separate it by author. I'm doing 4 authors/poets this year, so I have a section for each, then a coursework section, and a section where I put all of my marked essays.
    I find that re-annotating helps quite a bit, but I find that doing practise essays helps a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the tips op
    can you please help me out
    i have 8 AS exams this summer: c1, c2, s1, chem1, chem2, bio2, econ2 & citizenship and the first one is on the 13th of may (c1)

c1 and f321 are resits and i don't know whether i should learn everything from my textbooks or do some past papers and see what areas i need to concentrate on and revise properly. I got a d in c1 and a b in f321. I thought the chem exam went really well but i don't know what went wrong, what should i do to ensure that ill get an a for chem?
    and how should i revise for c1, should i start past papers now?

thanks to anyone who answers

ReputationRep:
    QFA
    Do you think that it is worthwhile at all to make any form of brief notes? So, for instance, I was planning to make very brief notes on, say, AQA History in the form of perhaps:

- 12 mark questions --> we are told to argue three factors (questions in the form of 'Explain why..', so I was thinking of just noting the three factors and some supporting evidence for areas which might arise as these types of questions.

Sorry that's written so poorly, I'm not really thinking straight at this hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa05)
    thanks for the tips op
    can you please help me out
    i have 8 AS exams this summer: c1, c2, s1, chem1, chem2, bio2, econ2 & citizenship and the first one is on the 13th of may (c1)

c1 and f321 are resits and i don't know whether i should learn everything from my textbooks or do some past papers and see what areas i need to concentrate on and revise properly. I got a d in c1 and a b in f321. I thought the chem exam went really well but i don't know what went wrong, what should i do to ensure that ill get an a for chem?
    and how should i revise for c1, should i start past papers now?

thanks to anyone who answers
    Okay, here are my tips.
    Start your resit past papers now! Revise your resits at WEEKENDS only, and revise your other subjects as you would normally - leave weekends for resits. Don't bother going through the book again...just jump straight into past papers. Whatever you get wrong, make sure you correct the mistakes, using mark schemes/notes/your book etc.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How do u go about studying economics? I find it a lot to swallow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.