The Student Room Group

How long to get xray results

I was sent for xrays by my gp and the hospital said it would take about 2 weeks for a report to be sent back to my gp. It'll have been 4 weeks on Thursday since I had the xray and the gp still hasn't got my results so was just wondering how long it took other people to get xray results back? Bit worried that they've been lost in the system somewhere.

It was xrays of my knees in the central lancashire area if that helps.
Reply 1
I had a chest x-ray and the results came back in about half an hour. Though having a scheduled appointment might be different to an 'emergency', which is what I had. (I wouldn't have called it an emergency, but it certainly wasn't scheduled)
You could ask you GP to chase it up as it's been quite a while?
Reply 2
After 2 weeks, I rang my GP and they had them. So ask your GP to find out where they are.
Original post by Manitude
I had a chest x-ray and the results came back in about half an hour. Though having a scheduled appointment might be different to an 'emergency', which is what I had. (I wouldn't have called it an emergency, but it certainly wasn't scheduled)
You could ask you GP to chase it up as it's been quite a while?

I think that's just at in-house ordered x-rays though. When I went to A&E I got my X-Ray results back pretty fast, but I think its different when GPs send patients for one.
Thanks everyone, I saw my gp on Tuesday and he didn't have them so he said he'd call when they came in. Think I'll give it another week and then ask them to find out where they are.
Original post by ThatPerson
I think that's just at in-house ordered x-rays though. When I went to A&E I got my X-Ray results back pretty fast, but I think its different when GPs send patients for one.

Thats because A&E doctors can read an x-ray. GPs can't they have to wait for a radiologist to do it for them.
When I have my spinal X-rays taken, they appear instantly and are sent to my consultant's computer so he can see them... Even when I used to have the actual screens shown to the consultant it was almost straight away. (However, this is at great ormond street hospital so it may be different as the X-rays are taken in the same place as the appointment). Hope this was helpful :redface:
Reply 7
I've been x-rayed 5 times in this calendar year alone and 4 of those times were non-emergency (I do live in a small town, so the hospital isn't usually busy) and I got the x-rays back the same day. From what I've found, if a doctor tells youhe will call you if somethings wrong, they usually call within a day or so. I wouldn't worry too much.
[h="3"]
Went in yesterday and asked the receptionist if they were back and she looked through some letters and found the results but wouldn't tell me them so I made a docs appointment for today and they've suddenly gone walkabout :frown: Apparently they're off somewhere getting scanned into the system.. fuming :mad:
I had a x-Ray today and the results were there tonight, but I had to wait for my GP to look at them. Is this right to get the results so quick.
I have had noth hips xrayed this morning they told me to contact my gp in a weeks time NSUH STAFFORDSHIRE
Reply 11
My Dr ordered a cortisone shot, pain meds and a X-ray to my shoulder because of extreme pain, not due to trama. I never heard back from her and ended up in the ER 24 hrs later. I had a very bad septic bacteria infection and would have died in hours if I had not gotten treatment. It was a life threatening infection and was visible on the X-ray but nobody called me. When things like this appear on a X-ray is your Dr notified right away?

Quick Reply

Latest