Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What makes Tobacco or Alcohol better than other drugs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Whenever I used to here people say cannabis was addictive I used to reply with something very similar, but cannabis can be very mentally addictive. Since new year I've smoked heavily every day, didn't intent to but I live with people who smoke a lot and it just sort of happened. I can't go a day without it at the moment, can't sleep without it, can't eat without it. It's not a physically addictive substance though so a few weeks at home over easter and I will be able to sort my head out and kick it fairly easily.

Anything can be mentally addicted if you abuse it. I know a girl who was addicted to masturbating and no ones suggesting we ban that.
    Yeah I'm like that too with MDMA and alcohol.

If I was living with the people I intended to last year I'd be a weedhead. Just seemed like everyone in uni at a house likes their spliffs.

I think masturbation is physically addictive tbh. It's so readily available compared to weed. You just have to be in your room locked for masturbation when with weed you have to go out of your way to get the stuff(unless you have a dealer on the go but I have to go to theirs for it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah I'm like that too with MDMA and alcohol.

If I was living with the people I intended to last year I'd be a weedhead. Just seemed like everyone in uni at a house likes their spliffs.

I think masturbation is physically addictive tbh. It's so readily available compared to weed. You just have to be in your room locked for masturbation when with weed you have to go out of your way to get the stuff(unless you have a dealer on the go but I have to go to theirs for it)
    Yeah, its just that I like being high, I can function perfectly normally and still do things when im high, and I have constant access to weed as someone in my house will pretty much always have it or we can get 10 bags delivered in two minutes so its just too hard to say no to. Seriously cutting down
    next term though as beng high 24/7 can't be good for your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Legalise all the drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Yeah, its just that I like being high, I can function perfectly normally and still do things when im high, and I have constant access to weed as someone in my house will pretty much always have it or we can get 10 bags delivered in two minutes so its just too hard to say no to. Seriously cutting down
    next term though as beng high 24/7 can't be good for your mind.
    It's gonna be bad next year. Since my friend has so much of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    Media, propaganda, advertising, in short society's perception of them which then infiltrates into individual's minds.
    I suppose scientifically we know that if you smoke one cigarette, you'll likely have no effects from it but if you take a dodgy pill your body can react badly and it can be fatal.
    If you drink a glass of wine a day, again likely no effect-but if you have a bad trip on acid and react badly to it, you can end up dead.
    In short, drug use and drug ABUSE are too different things altogether, and all drugs are harmful when abused.
    *Disclaimer, I'm no expert-I drink far too much alcohol and have smoked in the past, but I've never taken anything else.
    MDMA (ecstasy) itself is a very safe drug, the government chief scientist and advisor on drugs was fired for saying that it was less dangerous than horse riding. It's the filler chemicals that pills are mixed with which cause problems. I think it would be sensible to regulate and control the market for MDMA. A vast number of people take it already these substances every weekend all over the UK... it would make more sense for them to do it in a manner where everyone knew the real risks and benefits, and was able to take it safely without having to buy something in club having no real idea what the purity of the pill/mdma is.

With regards to acid, the lethal dose is estimated to be ~10mg, which is more than 100 times a standard dose. Generally, it's considered to have a very low risk of death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJoshwha)
    I think I may just have a bad experience with drugs. I have never done them myself, but majority of people I know that have, it has ended badly for (but that isn't all, and majority probably don't have problems). The issue is mostly in the culture of it. Theoretically, I understand that the whole thing should go away if legalised, I just feel like it wouldn't. Where would the dealers go next, and the people in charge of the operations?
    Consider how many people you know who smoke or drink.. probably quite a number. And how many of them buy their tobacco or alcohol illegally, on the street or off some shady guy in a club..?

Probably zero.

That's what I'm saying. The dealers would have to turn to other crime to get money. I'd rather see a bunch of drug dealers than someone try to steal my stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EwanHarvey)
    MDMA (ecstasy) itself is a very safe drug, the government chief scientist and advisor on drugs was fired for saying that it was less dangerous than horse riding. It's the filler chemicals that pills are mixed with which cause problems. I think it would be sensible to regulate and control the market for MDMA. A vast number of people take it already these substances every weekend all over the UK... it would make more sense for them to do it in a manner where everyone knew the real risks and benefits, and was able to take it safely without having to buy something in club having no real idea what the purity of the pill/mdma is.

With regards to acid, the lethal dose is estimated to be ~10mg, which is more than 100 times a standard dose. Generally, it's considered to have a very low risk of death.
    I agree-I was meaning that because it's POSSIBLE for these things to be fatal from one dose (not likely but possible) this is why society jumps on them as mega bad-nobody knows enough about them.
    And yes in a controlled manner they'd be much safer anyway.

I just think-humans have 'needed' mind-altering substances for thousands of years.. Them being illegal is daft particularly when alcohol and smoking cigarettes is legal and so dangerous anyway, it just doesn't make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    I agree-I was meaning that because it's POSSIBLE for these things to be fatal from one dose (not likely but possible) this is why society jumps on them as mega bad-nobody knows enough about them.
    And yes in a controlled manner they'd be much safer anyway.

I just think-humans have 'needed' mind-altering substances for thousands of years.. Them being illegal is daft particularly when alcohol and smoking cigarettes is legal and so dangerous anyway, it just doesn't make sense to me.
    ah right, I misunderstood. apologies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EwanHarvey)
    ah right, I misunderstood. apologies
    No problem It's an interesting topic-I admit I don't know a lot about drugs but I don't think their being illegal is beneficial for anybody, it just sends the problems they cause underground, makes them easier to be tainted with more unsavoury substances and people are always going to take them.
    Also-if people do take them and have a bad reaction, the medical care would surely be better if there was not such a stigma there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DankJ)
    I'm sure if you pop 50 oxys you would die but no one uses that kind of dose recreationally or medicinally. Unless you are intentionally having really really high doses there isnt much to worry about.

I experiment with plenty of drugs and opiates are pretty powerful. I've never come across something that was advertised as a painkiller that came close to opiates. But then again I'm no doctor.
    Codeine is a very mild opiate and its available over the counter (combined with paracetomal etc).

Its a brilliant painkiller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorafdfs)
    Enough people are addicted to light stimulants like nicotine and caffeine and get jittery, annoying and hyper from them. That says enough that heavy stimulants like cocaine and meth shouldn't be legalised.
    Some would argue that nicotine and caffeine are not enough for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronki23)

How is it marijuana is legal in some states in the USA but banned federally? I thought federal law supercedes state?
    It does, and the FBI can go and raid and close down any cannabis dispensary in America if they choose, in fact there have been over 100 official raids since Obama came into power (despite him saying "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue")

ReputationRep:
    The main reason that Cigarettes and Alcohol are legal is Tax. That's why they're so expensive now and why the government wont take them away. And I think they should legalise marijuana because it can be used effectively for medical uses (because it's been scientificially discovered that it can help in certain cases), and should only be used by doctors for patients in these circumstances, and not for personal use (My opinion) because then it's being used most effectively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swann)
    It does, and the FBI can go and raid and close down any cannabis dispensary in America if they choose, in fact there have been over 100 official raids since Obama came into power (despite him saying "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue")

Then legalisation could not have happened in the first place. If federal law said no then it should not be up for vote or debate.

Anyway, this thread just showed us that you could legalise other drugs too if they have benefits- heroin,LSD,E and maybe even cocaine (i'm using cocaine a lot as it's natural [cola nut] and it's popular in culture).
    What makes old Mary so special? Cocaine is just as popular- could that not be legalised as a stimulant?

There was also a valid point- if stimulants like nicotine or caffeine cause problems, stronger stimulants should not be allowed but you could argue that some people need stronger stimulants.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.