Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Need advice about what to do?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been doing a group project with 5 other people, and we have to make a video as part of it, which is due first thing tomorrow. Now the project has all been going fine, until the memory stick with the only copy of the video on it was broken earlier this morning.

The person in charge of making the video has done absolutely nothing to try and remake the video despite having all the afternoon, and is now watching match of the day. Most frustratingly is the fact that he didn't even contribute to the project at all really...

The video is due tomorrow morning, and we cannot make that deadline due to their laziness (heck id make the video myself if they gave me the materials I need to make it). They all want to make up some awful excuses such as dentist etc. This is not going to work for a group of 6, when its a formal hand in 15% of the module, late penalties will apply.

Do I talk to my lecturers tomorrow morning in the hand in session and risk making 5 enemies on my course, but have the possibility of getting some kind of extension, or leave it and accept the penalty... could be low depending when they get their act together...

What are the odds of getting some kind of extension do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Just say the memory stick broke and show it to the lecturer. Then go berserk on your colleagues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    Just say the memory stick broke and show it to the lecturer. Then go berserk on your colleagues.
    ive already gone mad at them.. and they have the memory stick.. electronic failure excuses don't work though...

I think im going with the every man/woman for himself/herself approach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemissmidget123)
    ive already gone mad at them.. and they have the memory stick.. electronic failure excuses don't work though...

I think im going with the every man/woman for himself/herself approach
    Well... live and learn. I recommend using a cloud service to back up your files. Quite frankly, hard drives and memory sticks are far too unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    Well... live and learn. I recommend using a cloud service to back up your files. Quite frankly, hard drives and memory sticks are far too unreliable.
    that's what I do, but the same cant be said about my group! I learnt from having my laptop stolen over new year.. I now back my data up in at least 3 places for important work!

they came through in the end and worked through the night to get it done... else heads would have fallen!

ReputationRep:
    Learn young that you cannot rely on other people.

ReputationRep:
    that's what I do, but the same cant be said about my group! I learnt from having my laptop stolen over new year.. I now back my data up in at least 3 places for important work!

they came through in the end and worked through the night to get it done... else heads would have fallen!
    Ooft, how did you get it stolen?

ReputationRep:
    Ooft, how did you get it stolen?
    went to Holland via Brussels with the Eurostar for new year to visit a friend.. got as far as Brussels and was waiting for the train to Holland put my bag down.. and before I knew it it was gone along with my purse, laptop, xmas presents, passport, many bank details as I had to take them home for dad.. all I had was my suitcase with clothes and my dslr camera which wasn't stolen at least, and my phone as luckily it was in my pocket.. so at least I could phone for help! spent the last day of 2012 in the british consulate in Amsterdam getting a temporary passport! certainly not a trip ill forget in a hurry.. but otherwise it was great.. im just happy that by chance I had friends from in Brussels on the day I arrived, and my dutch friend came to get me from Brussels.. before we all met up a couple of times after that as previously planned

ADVICE TO ALL.. DON'T PUT YOUR BAGS DOWN IN BRUSSELS MIDI STATION.. EVER!

ReputationRep:
    went to Holland via Brussels with the Eurostar for new year to visit a friend.. got as far as Brussels and was waiting for the train to Holland put my bag down.. and before I knew it it was gone along with my purse, laptop, xmas presents, passport, many bank details as I had to take them home for dad.. all I had was my suitcase with clothes and my dslr camera which wasn't stolen at least, and my phone as luckily it was in my pocket.. so at least I could phone for help! spent the last day of 2012 in the british consulate in Amsterdam getting a temporary passport! certainly not a trip ill forget in a hurry.. but otherwise it was great.. im just happy that by chance I had friends from in Brussels on the day I arrived, and my dutch friend came to get me from Brussels.. before we all met up a couple of times after that as previously planned

Or indeed anywhere nowadays.

ReputationRep:

Must be something with that station, I was interrailing with friends and one of them got her bag with passport, money etc stolen when she just put it down for a minute there when we were waiting for a train to Paris!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemiss-sunshine)
    Must be something with that station, I was interrailing with friends and one of them got her bag with passport, money etc stolen when she just put it down for a minute there when we were waiting for a train to Paris!

the police told me its mostly eastern Europeans so they cant send them home as they will just return again overnight, and it happens 40 times a day

ReputationRep:
    the police told me its mostly eastern Europeans so they cant send them home as they will just return again overnight, and it happens 40 times a day
    Isn't it legal for eastern europeans to emigrate to the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it legal for eastern europeans to emigrate to the UK?
    yeah, but this is Belgium were talking about, and that's just what the police there told me

id love to know whereabouts my mac is right now!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but this is Belgium were talking about, and that's just what the police there told me

id love to know whereabouts my mac is right now!
    Did you try and investigate cctv footage, if there was any?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.