Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is 'Love you' different from 'I love you'? Watch

My boyfriend always writes love you to me but i always write love you, i had a go at him for it and he started crying is it different?

bump

ReputationRep:
    Did you really need to bump after 6 minutes?
    Anyway I'm going to assume you meant that you always write 'I love you' to him, no I don't think it's different, well done you made him cry.

(Original post by justanotherposter)
    Did you really need to bump after 6 minutes?
    Anyway I'm going to assume you meant that you always write 'I love you' to him, no I don't think it's different, well done you made him cry.

Please don't be rude this is a serious question

ReputationRep:
    Ask him. It can mean different things to different people.
    I have a big taboo with "I love you". I'll only say it like that to someone when I really mean it, and if I've said it once, I'll maintain that through my relationship with them. With that in mind, I use "love you" really informally, I throw it here there and everywhere, not only to my girlfriend, but friends, co-workers, etc. as a sign of friendship more than anything. However for some people they mean exactly the same thing. Everyone's different. So talk to him and ask him about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend always writes love you to me but i always write love you, i had a go at him for it and he started crying is it different?
    Do you remember who this is?

• PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Depends, if I'm saying bye on the phone or whatever I'll just be like "byee love you talk to you later."

But if I'm feeling all cutsie I'd say " I love you." Either way not enough to yell at my boyfriend at...and make him cry.

ReputationRep:

Personally I think there's a big difference. I've never said 'Love you' It's lazy and makes it seem as if something's wrong. Write the whole thing out if you mean it

ReputationRep:
    nothing rude about that.

ReputationRep:
    I once jokingly moaned at my boyfriend for always saying 'love you' as opposed to 'I love you' and he said that he didn't realise there was a difference, so your boyfriend probably felt the same.

I'm surprised bringing it up made him cry though. Maybe you should tone down your complaints next time.

ReputationRep:
    What age are you ? 14?

ReputationRep:
    You hurt his feelings.

ReputationRep:
    I would say so. I only say "I love you" if I'm serious and tend to say "love you" a lot to my friends & family. It's a more casual way of saying "I love you" I'd say

ReputationRep:
    "Love you" seems more casual, like you're saying goodnight to your parents. But I love you seems more personal, and what you would say to your other half.

ReputationRep:
    why would you have a go at him for it? take it easy, why dictate what he can say? o.o

(Original post by superxo2)
    why would you have a go at him for it? take it easy, why dictate what he can say? o.o

Because I want him and need him to love me

ReputationRep:
    Sorry didn't mean to be rude, no I don't think it makes a difference, removing the 'I' is just making it quicker to type. If you made him cry you were unnecessarily harsh on him over a trivial matter, apologise to him and move on, even if he doesn't mean it making him feel guilty over it isn't going to make him love you, just be nice and let him love you in time.
    Edit: If this is talking rather than texting then he probably doesn't love you, but as said being needy over it won't help, give him time.

ReputationRep:
    Because I want him and need him to love me

He'll say it when he feels he's ready... and it will sound a whole lot better if it is that way. If you keep pushing, it won't be meaningful enough!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a major difference to be honest, I always miss the 'I' off for no reason in particular.

Maybe girls just think too much about these things and boys don't think enough :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.