Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Will my University tell me when to do this or do I have to do it myself. How do I do this. When is the deadline. Details please x
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Totally, totally depends on the Uni. You need to check the details for both your firm and your insurance - who may have very different setups. Some institutions want insurance applicants to apply straightaway; others don't let them until later (or at all). Some places do it first come first served; others don't. Some will allocate you a room before exam results come out; others not until after. Some guarantee accommodation for everyone; others don't have enough and you may need to sort your own accommodation out. There is no 'answer' to this question, other than to check it out with the places you may be going to.

    Are you going to be a fresher? In that case you probably mean residential halls. You need to talk to the Student Accommodation Services at your university. They're all a bit different from each other, with their own application process, and they'll be able to tell you the rules and deadlines. Phone them, and make sure you have a pen and paper handy.

    If you want to rent a house outside the campus, most people like to sort house out between Christmas and Easter, so you're right to be thinking about this now. You've got some options:
    1) The University Student Service might have a list of landlords in the area.
    2) You could walk round the town and visit the letting agents you know about there.
    3) You can just do an online search. Type in "Student Houses" and the name of the city into Google, and the first two pages of results should have some good websites where you can look up student houses in that place and give you the details of the letting agent. I'd skip the first two or three results, as they tend to be mammoth companies that are too big to care about you, but after that they should be better.

    In order to manage at university you need to be able to research information yourself. Accommodation information is easily available on most universities websites at a click of a button. As has been said the details vary between universities.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.