Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfinitePi)
    Why would I troll about a topic like this? I made a thread about Warwick because I have some other friends thinking of firming there, and we just wanted to gain some more information about it. You don't know anything about me to be able to say that I'm not comfortable with who I am. I simply asked a question, and you are reading too much into it.
    You can find the statistics on student ethnicity here:
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/spa/s...ll/122-10a.pdf

Asides from that, any questions you ask here can only really be answered with peoples' own experiences, which can really vary a lot, and likely won't be representative of what you'll find if you come here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astarplease01)
    lol

Why do you find this funny?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awoodrow2)

Asides from that, any questions you ask here can only really be answered with peoples' own experiences, which can really vary a lot, and likely won't be representative of what you'll find if you come here.

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of worried about being the only brown person! Do you often feel uncomfortable there? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything but one does tend to feel a bit lonely if there isn't someone of the same colour/ethnicity to converse with about life if you know what I mean

Ahaha, I feel you girl. Hopefully it won't be as bad as some people make it out to be. At the end of the day, you will meet some amazing people from a variety of backgrounds

ReputationRep:
    Why do you find this funny?!
    just find it funny no reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnob204)
    Fair enough, I stand corrected.

If I were to complain about a lack of white people in a particular area would you see it as a legitimate concern or would you dismiss my opinion as that of a racist? There can't be different rules for different people chum.
    I'm not going to lie, you probably would. Personally, I think you are exaggerating a little bit as it's only a bus and I'm sure the amount of white people in Birmingham still outnumber the amount of ethnic minorities around. Though, it is a legitimate concern that you may feel uncomfortable. But I don't think that is relevant to helping the OP. If she has concerns then let her express them; to be fair, what she is pointing out is the sole reason I didn't apply to Durham.

OP, If you don't feel comfortable going, don't bother. You're going to be hours from home and you'll be living there for 3 years+, so choose carefully and you should probably visit too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awoodrow2)

Thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    I'm not going to lie, you probably would. Personally, I think you are exaggerating a little bit as it's only a bus and I'm sure the amount of white people in Birmingham still outnumber the amount of ethnic minorities around. Though, it is a legitimate concern that you may feel uncomfortable. But I don't think that is relevant to helping the OP. If she has concerns then let her express them; to be fair, what she is pointing out is the sole reason I didn't apply to Durham.

OP, If you don't feel comfortable going, don't bother. You're going to be hours from home and you'll be living there for 3 years+, so choose carefully and you should probably visit too.

Thank you! That post was totally irrelevant. So did you visit Durham and that's how you decided that it wasn't for you?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That post was totally irrelevant. So did you visit Durham and that's how you decided that it wasn't for you?
    Nope, I had looked at the statistics awoodrow2 provided and knew immediately it wasn't for me. I come from such a diverse working class area and so it was just a simple decision of whether I would feel comfortable with the lack of diversity. I didn't so I didn't apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of worried about being the only brown person! Do you often feel uncomfortable there? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything but one does tend to feel a bit lonely if there isn't someone of the same colour/ethnicity to converse with about life if you know what I mean

As a white person I never feel this way when surrounded by people of other ethnicities.

Great that so many people are still incapable of seeing people just as ****ing people.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was quite concerned about Durham's diversity, not in terms of race or ethnicity but in terms of lgbt and gender diversity. Obviously with it being a traditional university in a northern town I'm not expecting the London scene haha, but I was just concerned about other people's views more than anything. What did you make of the open days?! I loved it!!! Hatfield were so friendly and made me feel right at home so all my worries are gone! I hope you enjoyed it

ReputationRep:
    Durham is not very diverse - period. I find this makes the place a little dull. The LGBT scene is quite small, for instance, and there isn't a great wealth of multiculturalism. I don't come from the most crazily diverse place in the world, but was a little thrown to come here from living three minutes from a Sikh temple, and having lots more ethnic diversity at my school, for instance.

Durham is pretty white, Durham is pretty affluent. But Durham is also pretty nice.

Come join us, we don't bite.

(Plus things like MUN / other societies tend to be quite diverse. Some subjects, like International Relations, for instance, seem far more diverse than, say, German lit.)

ReputationRep:
    If you think the Durham city campus isn't diverse, Queen's campus is less diverse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielcain-reed)
    Hey I was quite concerned about Durham's diversity, not in terms of race or ethnicity but in terms of lgbt and gender diversity. Obviously with it being a traditional university in a northern town I'm not expecting the London scene haha, but I was just concerned about other people's views more than anything. What did you make of the open days?! I loved it!!! Hatfield were so friendly and made me feel right at home so all my worries are gone! I hope you enjoyed it
    I had a fantastic time! I was a bit nervous, but the student reps made me feel right at home too. I was worrying for nothing! It wasn't that diverse, but there was a good balance of Asian/Oriental people at my college.

ReputationRep:
    I've got to say I think the LGBT scene has improved since I joined Durham - we actually have a regular LGBT club night now! That seems to be going pretty strongly.

The LGBT Association also seems to be doing well - their website has a lot of information on it, and it'd be worth getting in contact with the exec if you want to ask about anything.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too fussed about a massive gay scene (Newcastle's only down the road) I don't really enjoy that thing, I'm more worried that people won't be accepting and that it will stop me from making friends. Obviously there are bound to be some people wherever you go who aren't accepting, but do you find that it ever stops you making friends??

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too fussed about a massive gay scene (Newcastle's only down the road) I don't really enjoy that thing, I'm more worried that people won't be accepting and that it will stop me from making friends. Obviously there are bound to be some people wherever you go who aren't accepting, but do you find that it ever stops you making friends??
    In my experience, while people may not be understanding of LGBT people and issues and such, people are usually totally accepting, and really don't care much. :P I've heard of very very few issues around.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I currently hold an offer from Durham University, and I am worried about there being a lack of diversity there. I live in London, and I am constantly surrounded by people from different backgrounds. How would you describe the diversity at Durham?
    I don't know much about the University myself but I have visited. I am from Southern Europe and maybe I am also a minority there but I really couldn't care less?

IMO you should be thinking about what you are going to get out of your course and not ethnicity, albeit that is huge here in the UK.

If you want a good degree from a good University, the rest is minor. At the end of the day is the degree that matters not the diversity.

Also if diversity worries you so much you should pick a diverse place such as UCL or any of the London universities and stay in London. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Your post is a bit extreme. It doesn't bother me at all, I simply asked because I wanted to know what the diversity was like at Durham. I had been warned by teachers that there are no mixed race/asian/black people so I thought I would ask on here to get a true opinion. I'm comfortable with who I am.
    As mentioned, that's a bit of a generalisation on there part. There's a University of Teikyo campus in Durham, and a significant number of Durham's international postgrads are Chinese. You can't get away from them :p:

South Asian (Indian subcontinent) is lacking, however.

Basically seeing anyone in Durham who isn't White, East Asian, or possibly Hispanic, is a fairly rare occurrence.

I was going to say, I like how people immediately see "diversity" and think purely in terms of ethnicity, and sometimes social class. What about disability? LGBT?

I'd just echo what's been said. The LGBT was very poor during my time there (especially 04 - 07). However, it seems to have grown the last couple of years and there are now regular nights out, as well as more information.

As for how other people are like, ultimately you're surrounded by thousands of young people and, although Durham is a little more conservative than some other universities (with a very, very small Evangelical Christian contingent) it's still a relatively liberal student body. People are generally accepting/indifferent and I've never known any substantial homophobia or incidents either from students or locals.

Anyone interested in disability then just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Small evangelical Christian continent who stand up in lectures and ask you to go to lunchtime talks on why you're missing out without Jesus, and who say they're not anti-gay, and being gay is fine, but a lot of gay people have found that, with Jesus' help they don't need to act on those 'urges'... And who, luckily, after finding Jesus, have often got married to Christian women, having realised that Christianity helped them to understand that they were wrong about their sexuality...)

Caveat: They are a laughing stock, though. And a very small group. Just don't get lured in by them offering you a free dinner. It does come with indoctrination.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.