Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Okay, last year i received a D grade in economics. Now this is far from what im capable of, i just let my work slack, and did not revise at all, which i understand now was very stupid of me.

I'm retaking the AS exams in may/june as well the A2 section. All im looking for is some help, maybe some experience if its going as well. I have a whole set of revision guide notes for AS economics and i hope i can buff my grade up to a B grade.

My main problems with economics is the multiple choices.

Also, if anyone has any a whole set of revision notes for A2 CIE it would be the biggest help in the world. As for AS they have helped me considerably.

So any expertise help, would absolutely amazing, as i want to push my grade up to a C minimum, and even hopefully a B.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I'm constantly telling people this haha, but I'll be nice and rewrite it I suppose...

In my first year of college, I got 58/100 in econ module 2 (a D). I resat it, and got 58/100 (a D!) again!

Then I realised my problem. I wasn't using the correct writing frame. My teacher banged on and on about it every day, but I thought he meant to loosely base your essays on it. That obviously wasn't working. So I decided I'd resit it (third time lucky!) and take him LITERALLY. I use the writing frame as if there was no tomorrow. And guess what I got?

95/100 (an A!).

So here it is. Use this until it's all you know, and do every past paper you can possibly get your hands on. Once you do a load of past papers, you'll also notice how it's always the same questions coming up again and again, so by the end of it you'll be able to be given any exam and completely smash it.

This is the the 25 marker (if you do AQA, if not then this may fit for the biggest essay you have):

Point/quote (from the source)...
    Definition...
    This is because...
    This means that...
    Therefore...
    However...
    This means that...

That's it! I'll give you a basic example.

One way of reducing inflation is to increase interest rates. (or if you're doing a source quote, it could be "Increasing interest rates may lead to a reduction in the rate of inflation [source 1 lines 12-14])
    Inflation is the year on year increase in the general level of prices, as measured by the CPI. Interest rates are the price of money.
    This is because increasing interest rates acts as an incentive for people to save.
    This means that people may spend less into the economy.
    Therefore this may lead to an increase in inflation.
    However, (give a reason why increasing interest rates might not lead to a reduction in inflation)...and say 'this is because'...

AND DON'T FORGET EVERY PARAGRAPH NEEDS A DIAGRAM!!! It can be Keynesian, Classical, or even the business cycle diagram.

If you're doing macro, then you'll need 4 paragraphs. They're almost always going to be one paragraph for each of these:

Supply side,
    Keynesian,
    Fiscal,
    Fiscal-supply.

OR

Effect on inflation,
    effect on balance of payments,
    effect on unemployment,
    effect on gdp.

If you're doing AQA, then question 3 (I think it is? with the two paragraphs?) you do:

Point/ quote,
    Definition,
    This is because,
    This means that,
    Therefore.

As for the multiple choice, all you can do is 500000 past papers. Do every single one on the website. I used to be rubbish at them, but I did a zillion of them and I'm pretty sure I got almost full marks in my exam.

I can't be bothered re-reading this, so I hope it made sense aha.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if you want revision notes, use http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/rev...tes/index.html

It's what I used! and if you do AQA obviously you'll need the AQA book (which I didn't even get in class!).

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much! im doing Cambridge, its a very hard exam board, but nevertheless ill strive for gold! thank you,

ReputationRep:
    also, i have always wondered, like for CIE you have two 25 mark essays at the end to do. How many points do you believe should be used and expanded upon?

ReputationRep:
    Another thing i struggle with Turty is using diagrams,

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.