Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I recently recieved offers for Wimbledon- Technical Arts and Special Effects and London College of Fashion- 3D effects for performance and Fashion and have to make a decision on which to take up by next Monday! I realise that I am very lucky to have this decision to make but would really appreciate some help/ feeback/ advice from people who know anything from experience of this course? I have been to UAL before so sort of know the layout of colleges etc. but don't know anything about LCF really. I would love to know how the courses are taught/ design/ making element, how much freedom there is and how confident people felt in their own learning really!

I've read no end of prospectuses/websites but it would be great to get some info from people.
    I hope that feedback will help other people who are looking into it too.

Good luck with whatever you are doing!! Thanks for ya time

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am concerned 3D effects for performance and fashion are far much more valuable when it is about your future. I mean, it is a lot easier to find a self-satisfying job after London college of fashion. It is the most prestigious one and it is in the city centre. Location is a big advantage too. I do not know anything about the course when it comes to my personal studying in here, but I know, that I would give everything to study there. Unfortunately, they have already declined me. I am not sure if I will go anywhere else or I will just try again next year.

ReputationRep:
    heeeey, that’s funny because I had exactly the same problem last year!
    Srsly, it was one of the hardest decisions I had ever made and I thought I will have been struggling with a lot of questions by now, you know… like… what if I could have chosen better?
    but right now I know I couldn’t! I have chosen 3d effects for performance and fashion and it was the best decision I could made, simply because:
    - the course itself is so inspiring and I have learned so many things, I pushed my boundaries and improved my creativity, imagination and my ability to engage projects - now I am more conscious of a practical side of bringing my ideas into life and that was my biggest problem before choosing this course... it made my life so much easier
    - people in here are so nice and helpful. I mean, I have always been introverted person, but the people in here are so wonderful that being shy is simply impossible. Oh, and the tutors are amazing and I rly mean it. I am not afraid of showing my ideas because I know that they will do they best to help me. The student-tutor relationship is really friendly and they do not look at you from above, as they do in some univeristies, probably... well, at least i was a problem back in high school.
    So I think that if you are into fashion and technical arts and pretty much everything that this course is about it is the best option for you. Oh, and location is the best. The best classes so far in my opinion are 3d effects and technical arts and modified human forms. I am not sure if I can decide what is better. Good luck with your decision let us know in this thread what was you final decsion, cuz I am really curious about it

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much for getting back to me

Knipke, sorry to hear of them not accepting you. I know how it feels though, and I don't think it means that you are not good enough, just that at this time the course maybe isn't suited to your needs. I was rejected two years ago from where I thought I wanted to go and since then have studied, taken a year out, worked and ended up in a completely new direction. I really dont wanna sound patronising, I just know that the time since then has been so so valuable to me progressing to this course. I don't know anything about you but if you are into theatre/tech arts then working in theatres has been great, keep sending emails to anyone (artists, theatres, designers) anywhere that interests you and eventually someone will reply and want to meet you! Good luck.

Jonc93, Hello! thankyou for your help, It's nice to hear some real stuff about the course and I'm really glad youre enjoying it. What kind of thing are you into? Like theatre/fashion/ Film? or all of it! And what did you do prior to this?
    I feel as though the outcomes (on showtime) are more varied from the LCF course. I myself am very into fine art and the art/theatre cross over. So installation and design for sight specific theatre, dont know too much about fashion but know what I like and am open minded! How much of the course is design and how much making? ALSO, do you get your own sort of studio space? Would you be able to give me like a couple of examples of the sort of thing you do? Sorry to ask so much!!

Its gonna feel really weird whichever one I turn down, I really didn't expect an offer from either!

Thanks again guys

ReputationRep:
    Weeell, I’ve always been interested in every kind of art and technical arts. Even though I’ve always liked fashion, I really didn’t think that I will get in, cuz it was more as an observational hobby. You know, the things that they’re doing in this area can be so amazing. I thought that I would end up in theatre and film to be honest. When I was applying, theatre&screen was my first choice, but when I got in for the LCF course too I was so curious about this course that I finally decided to give it a try.
    I think that things that we are doing are really varied, as you said. And I don’t think that after this course you will be restrained to the area of fashion. I mean, you can as well end up in the theatre industry and as far as I know the most important thing in such industry is diversity. I think you will be able to bring more into industry if you learn more techniques and I can promise that this course can provide you that. I’m open-minded too, that’s why I’ve decided to go here and I think that’s the best option if you really want to broaden your horizons and you’re not scared of it.
    The first year is mostly about getting to know techniques and experimenting with it. It’s about fun and exploring in 3d. So we are mostly focused on as you said “making” this year on practical classes. It’s amazing how much you can learn on thit kind of course. We’ve started designing more in the second semester on modified human forms lessons. It’s amazing, really. It’s not only about design and research, but experimenting too, you can’t be sure what will come out of it and that’s the fun. Of course we have theory too, but it’s on different classes. On practical classes we have our own studio space, I can’t imagine if we didn’t. Space is needed for artistic tasks.
    I’m sorry cuz I don’t have any photos of works on this computer, because my boyfriend has left for two weeks and he took my laptop. I will try to contact him, if you want to, but I’m not sure if he’ll be able to send me some photos, cuz he wasn’t sure if he will have wi-fi on his trip.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds gooooood!
    How many people on the course? I'm so torn between the two! Is the work you do mainly based on the human body and sort of extended costumes? or do you make and design what you are interested in like: props, stage, environments and installation? In the past I've been really used to having LOTs of freedom and doing whatever I want really.. and I guess I'm a little nervous to go onto a really guided course, but its a change I'd like to make i think. At the moment my ambition is to just work freelance with different people using varied skills, not tied down to anything.
    I know that the first few terms at Wimbledon are scaling up (10x Objects) Puppetry and lots of collaboration with the design students, is that similar?

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I’ve just read the whole thread and I think that if you want to focus on varied set of skills, the fashion course is way better.

as jonc93 said you won’t be stuck in fashion. my cusin’s finished this course and she works as a freelancer rightnow. she’s very happy with her job, she’s a lot of freedom while doing it and she works with many artists Of course it taakes time and work to be more… how to call it… red-hotted, but this fashion course is quite good start. i think that finishing it is very valuble in the art society, so if you wanna be a freelancer it’s a very good option

eh, I wish I would hear from my courses, as for now I have one conditional and one unsuccessful.
    I am hoping to hear from visual illustration and media, it’s been a while since I had my interview

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
University of the Arts London resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.