Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Would appreciate any opinions on whether or not I’m entitled to a refund, and if so, how much.

My watch stopped so I got the battery replaced. Within a few hours, it stopped again so I took it back to the jewellers to get the battery checked; they suggested it wasn’t pushed in right. The next day, the same thing happened so I took it to an independent watch repair place. The man had a look at it, said he’d order new parts for it but that it would take a week or two for them to arrive, and charged £35- I agreed to pay as whilst it’s not an expensive watch, it is of sentimental value.

He rang the next day to say he found the parts in his workshop so it was ready to be collected. I picked it up and hour or two later, it had stopped again so I took it back to ask for a refund- he refused, was really rude and sarcastic about it and put a new battery in it claiming that was all that was wrong (so unsurprisingly, it stopped again shortly after I left the shop). Surely I’m entitled to some sort of refund, having paid so much for the watch to be returned in its original state?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if I was you I would've taken it back to the jewellers instead of an independent watch repair, because now they won't give you a refund for the watch because it's been tampered with by another company.

I know how stressful it is to be on the receiving end of unhelpful, arrogant customer service. Try taking the watch back to him and explaining how much trouble you're having with it, he may be more understanding. Explain that you've already paid a lot of money to try and get it repaired in the first place, and that you're not willing to pay anymore.

I don't think you'll get a refund, despite the fact you probably should get one. However, he might be willing to help you fix your watch.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you should be entitled to a refund, but if the guy was sarcastic and rude, its a question of whether or not he'll actually give you a refund :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura-parker)
    To be honest, if I was you I would've taken it back to the jewellers instead of an independent watch repair, because now they won't give you a refund for the watch because it's been tampered with by another company.

I know how stressful it is to be on the receiving end of unhelpful, arrogant customer service. Try taking the watch back to him and explaining how much trouble you're having with it, he may be more understanding. Explain that you've already paid a lot of money to try and get it repaired in the first place, and that you're not willing to pay anymore.

I don't think you'll get a refund, despite the fact you probably should get one. However, he might be willing to help you fix your watch.
    Thanks for the reply. I probably should have explained better in the original post; the watch was from a gift shop which has since closed down- the jewellers I'd taken it to is just one in my local area. I'm going to go back to the watch repair this afternoon to chance my luck again- hopefully I can get him to at least refund the price of the new parts.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be asking what parts he fitted and how long he spent fitting them. Given they didn't fix the problem then you shouldn't really be expected to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    What is actually wrong with the watch? Let's say he charged you that money for replacing the battery, but it turns out something else is causing the problem, then surely you're technically not entitled to a refund as he has given you what you paid for.

If he has fixed/put in faulty parts or something similar, then I would say you are entitled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    What is actually wrong with the watch? Let's say he charged you that money for replacing the battery, but it turns out something else is causing the problem, then surely you're technically not entitled to a refund as he has given you what you paid for.

If he has fixed/put in faulty parts or something similar, then I would say you are entitled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I get what you mean. He's not sure what's wrong with it- he charged the money for putting in new parts as he thought that they would fix it, but they haven't made any difference. He then tried to say it was just stopping due to a faulty battery and that's why I couldn't get refunded, even though the battery had been replaced twice within the last week, so it was unlikely to be the problem. The shop was closed today, but I'll go back later in the week.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.