Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have aspergers and I need some help.
    I went to sixth form at 16 and then went to college at 18 for a year to do more a levels after deciding I wasn't ready for university. This was pre-diagnosis. Fast forward a year, a diagnosis (finally!) and a failed apprenticeship (they told me I wasn't "bubbly enough" even though they had be doing a completely different job to what I had originally applied for. I only lasted a week there). I'm now back at college doing a 2-year btec in ict (my original a-level was in double applied ict with another in French)
    I just don't know what to do next. All school ever talked about, and college do too, is university. I kinda want to go, but I don't know I could cope. I don't like these coursework-based subjects, that's pretty much the only thing I'm learning from my current btec. However, I'm not smart enough for academic courses - I only got Ds at alevel and am pretty much only on for a pass at btec. I just don't know what to do, I feel like I'm wasting my life. The only thing I love doing is writing but whenever I mention it people put me down and try to get me to do something 'real'. I wanted to study english or performing arts but my parents forbid me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fc4197)
    Hi, I have aspergers and I need some help.
    I went to sixth form at 16 and then went to college at 18 for a year to do more a levels after deciding I wasn't ready for university. This was pre-diagnosis. Fast forward a year, a diagnosis (finally!) and a failed apprenticeship (they told me I wasn't "bubbly enough" even though they had be doing a completely different job to what I had originally applied for. I only lasted a week there). I'm now back at college doing a 2-year btec in ict (my original a-level was in double applied ict with another in French)
    I just don't know what to do next. All school ever talked about, and college do too, is university. I kinda want to go, but I don't know I could cope. I don't like these coursework-based subjects, that's pretty much the only thing I'm learning from my current btec. However, I'm not smart enough for academic courses - I only got Ds at alevel and am pretty much only on for a pass at btec. I just don't know what to do, I feel like I'm wasting my life. The only thing I love doing is writing but whenever I mention it people put me down and try to get me to do something 'real'. I wanted to study english or performing arts but my parents forbid me.
    Hi,

Do you specifically want to go to university? If you do then I don't know too much about what qualifications you need for Drama (I know however that English is more academic and has higher demands).

You could always join a drama club or course where you gain experience and a qualification, perhaps which will enable you to get to university. I'm sure that there are places out there that you can go to with the grades that you have, but it's just your parents I suppose...

Writing is very 'real' and if it's your passion, you should definitely continue with it, even if it is something that you do in your spare time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Why do your parents forbid you to do English or Drama? You'll be the one studying it for the next 3 years; not them.

I personally wouldn't go to uni unless I knew for certain what I wanted to do.

I could have written most of what you wrote. Except, my parents aren't overly fussed what I do and I'm not keen on English or Drama.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.