Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Arraned Marriage Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would you ever marry someone you had never, but your parents have arranged you to marry? I have a friend who this happened to, I was shocked. She has seen him on skype and thats all. But they are only allowed to talk to in the presence of family members.

I meant arranged marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    Would you ever marry someone you had never, but your parents have arranged you to marry? I have a friend who this happened to, I was shocked. She has seen him on skype and thats all.
    yes i would be happy to oblige to my parents order and get arranged married.....i dont mind getting married on skype either...heck we can marry on a walkie talkie !

ReputationRep:
    I have the feeling that more men will say yes to arranged marriage than women, because women are more picky by nature.

It scares me to think about what kind of person my parents would pick for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I have the feeling that more men will say yes to arranged marriage than women, because women are more picky by nature.
    i say no to arranged marriage

ReputationRep:
    I politely declined this offer from my parents... Thank God I did, otherwise I wouldn't have met my husband.

ReputationRep:
    Would you ever marry someone you had never, but your parents have arranged you to marry? I have a friend who this happened to, I was shocked. She has seen him on skype and thats all. But they are only allowed to talk to in the presence of family members.

oh god no, I will never get into an arranged marriage and I made that clear to my parents

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do not understand it, she is from Pakistan. They got engaged after talking for 2 weeks on Skype. Its funny as on Facebook, it says she is engaged but does not say to who. She is engaged to a man from Sweden. Odd.

ReputationRep:

stop hating on her engagement..if shes happy, she is happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia-Babe)
    I am not hating, it does not make sense. It sounds like forced marriage not arranged. The family members agreed for them to marry first before she had the option.

ReputationRep:
    No I would not.

ReputationRep:
    I am not hating, it does not make sense. It sounds like forced marriage not arranged. The family members agreed for them to marry first before she had the option.
    Too many people make the mistake of confusing arranged marriage with forced marriage. That is so NOT true! If my parents liked someone for me I would trust their decision because I know my parents would choose the best for me. If they were able to bring me up and make decisions from me ever since I was born which turned out to be right for me, how can I know any better than them. Unless it was someone who I knew just was not right for me. But I would not say no to my parents just for the sake of saying no and having my own will.

P.S. My parents would never decide for me without even asking me. And if I agree then I don't see how it can be called forced marriage. And as another person said, please just be happy for your friend and wish that she leads a happy life whoever she is with.

ReputationRep:

Do they actually have to live with each other? Or is it simply part of a land deal - since marriage is officially a financial contract they may get tax advantages from it and it may be a valid means to prevent a hostile purchase of certain landholdings (in some cases, ownership of a piece of land is only valid if one of the owners/owners' nominees are actually resident on the land for a minimum amount of time per year - e.g. in South Africa).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    presumably just for money, and on condition they don't actually have to live with the woman.

ReputationRep:
    HELL NO.

ReputationRep:
    as long as shes hot like kelly brooks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelia-Babe)
    well we can only find out about that after shes married

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He has never met her. It sounds like a business deal, he was going on how she was rich, and his family liked that.

ReputationRep:
    He has never met her. It sounds like a business deal, he was going on how she was rich, and his family liked that.
    Well then - there you go. I doubt they actually need to live together, fancy each other etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Well then - there you go. I doubt they actually need to live together, fancy each other etc.
    Well she is in Sweden and he wants to go to the middle east after university this year. So I doubt they will even live together.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.