Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have clearing statistics for medicine

i know a couple of yrs ago (getting into medschool book) GKT had 30+ places through clearing and s'ton had a few too,
    are there any other unis that enter clearing for these subjects too?

also i've heard that unis have a few spare offers but dont "advertise" them via clearing but keep it kinda secret, i know someone who rang sheffield and got in that way after she got aaa at a2 after being rejected at first..is that v.v.v.v.v.v.v rare? or is it quite possible if someone gets 3a's?

im asking as i have been rejected for my choices to read medicine and really dont want to have to take a yr out and re-apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation as you for law, do you know about UCAS extra?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucas.com/getting/after/extra.html

Start tomorrow... I think... is loving UCAS extra.

Saved ma bacon!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    For 2003 entry 172 students got a place on a medicine course (A100) through clearing. Another 10 got a place through UCAS Extra.

Although it's worth considering that this is out of 5539 students so it's only 3.3% of places (compared to say Law were 17.6% of places were filled through clearing or Extra)

Soton usually has a few places (10 in 2003) filled through clearing but they tend to be offered privately to applicants who were either rejected but did better than expected or who have otherwise been through our application process. However it's worth noting that the %age of places filled through clearing at soton has been dropping dramatically over the last few yrs (in 2000 just under 20% of our medicine places were filled through clearing, down to 4% in 2003 and likely to be 0% this yr (considering that for 2004 entry we've had the highest applications/place ratio of any university in the country for medicine)).

On the other hand places for medicine have been increasing - mainly in the new medical schools which don't attract quite so many applications because they don't have a proven track record (daft if you ask me because you still end up a doctor at the end of the course - it's not like you do a medicine degree to get a job with a city firm who's main priority is which uni you studied at). I'd recommend getting in touch with these new schools now (peninsular, brighton/sussex, east anglia, hull/york) and expressing your interest in entry through clearing/extra....do your homework and have a good look through the different schools websites and see what they're looking for, and if possible contact the medical school which have rejected you for some feedback about why you were rejected (if they send you a generic "other candidates were better" letter then contact them again asking for more specifics and explain you aren't looking to sue them just to improve your application for next time).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info ! really appreciate it.

also i was wondering if you knew whether being rejected after interview would make a difference:

for example , i was rejected by sheffield after interview, would that rule me out altogether? and would unis rather give the places left over to someone who passed the interview even if they didn't make the grades? or would they rather give the place to someone who made the grades..but didnt pass the interview :confused:
    thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by phillip04)
    thanks for the info ! really appreciate it.

also i was wondering if you knew whether being rejected after interview would make a difference:

for example , i was rejected by sheffield after interview, would that rule me out altogether? and would unis rather give the places left over to someone who passed the interview even if they didn't make the grades? or would they rather give the place to someone who made the grades..but didnt pass the interview :confused:
    thanks.
    It depends on the uni really....and also the exact reason why they rejected you at interview - if it was because of something fairly superficial like nerves or the way you expressed yourself I would imagine they'd be willing to reconsider you over someone who dropped a few grades, if it was because they didn't believe you really understood what being a doctor would be like or that they didn't think you'd make a good doctor then it's a different situation altogether.

The best thing to do is to ask the ones that rejected you (especially if you went to interview) for full and frank feedback (like I said explain that it's because you want to improve your application for next time). If need be you're entitled through the data protection act to request a copy of your interview notes (you have to contact them in writing and they may charge you up to £10) - however I doubt it would come to that. Contact them by phone initially and be patient and offer to phone back at another time if need be...you have a few months to get everything sorted so there's no real rush. And always be polite and very keen and enthusiastic (even though they rejected you) as it will look very good (even if it's simply a case of the admissions secretary getting to associate your name with someone friendly and polite that can be the difference between getting a place or not).

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    For 2003 entry 172 students got a place on a medicine course (A100) through clearing. Another 10 got a place through UCAS Extra.
    Out of interest - where did you get these figures from??? My friend works at UCAS and those aren't the ones they have for 2003 - agree with the 10 places in Extra, are you including people with offers accepted with lower grades (than their original offer) in clearing figures, else they are wrong.

???

Fxx
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Out of interest - where did you get these figures from??? My friend works at UCAS and those aren't the ones they have for 2003 - agree with the 10 places in Extra, are you including people with offers accepted with lower grades (than their original offer) in clearing figures, else they are wrong.

???

Fxx
    They're only for entry onto medicine courses coded as A100 - excluding graduate entry medicine and the various year 0 entry med courses, if your friends stats include these courses then that would explain the difference (I figured someone who's looking to go for undergraduate entry medicine and who is hoping to achieve As is unlikely to be interested in the A101 and yr 0 entry numbers).

They're from the stats that UCAS sent to us at Southampton uni last week (management stats package) so I would hope that they match what UCAS holds centrally.

ReputationRep:
    PQ you are a god send for us mere mortals.

ReputationRep:
    They're only for entry onto medicine courses coded as A100 - excluding graduate entry medicine and the various year 0 entry med courses, if your friends stats include these courses then that would explain the difference (I figured someone who's looking to go for undergraduate entry medicine and who is hoping to achieve As is unlikely to be interested in the A101 and yr 0 entry numbers).

They're from the stats that UCAS sent to us at Southampton uni last week (management stats package) so I would hope that they match what UCAS holds centrally.
    Nope just 5 year courses and 6 year courses that include intercallation (Notts, Oxford, Imperial, etc...) I got the numbers for 'pure' clearing though - i.e at a Uni not offer or insurance. The 172 figure sounds like it includes missed grades offers - is there an annex to the figures that explains how they are derived?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The (slightly higher level - ie it goes down to A1 pre-clin medicing level not A100 normal entry pre-clin medicine, A101 graduate entry pre-clin medicine level) data is available on the UCAS website http://www.ucas.com/figures/ads.html#subject anyone who can handle a pivot table should be able to get something meaningful out of it - anyone else with any specific queries let me know
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Nope just 5 year courses and 6 year courses that include intercallation (Notts, Oxford, Imperial, etc...) I got the numbers for 'pure' clearing though - i.e at a Uni not offer or insurance. The 172 figure sounds like it includes missed grades offers - is there an annex to the figures that explains how they are derived?
    that's very odd - and it is solely for A100 course codes (the figures I'm using are aggregated figures which UCAS says includes all UK applications/acceptances for the courses we have applciations for (which is why I don't have the data for A101 (historically it's not one of our courses) and the various foundation yr courses (as they tend to have a different JACS code based on whatever mood someone at UCAs was in on the day :rolleyes: ).

The Clearing numbers are simply entrants through Clearing (ie entrants who entered through sending off a Clearing Entry Form to a Uni - missed grades etc wouldn't have to do this as we would simply lower our offer electronically and confert them to a UF to transmit back to UCAS).

I don't suppose you could PM me your friends name so I can try to clear this up (I don't like it when my stats turn out to be wrong through someone elses fault :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    Not at all - will check with her first though - data protection and all that! I have a med admissions aquaintance too - I'll see which of the numbers levies up.

I know that there were no clearing places for med in London at all for 2003 (with the exception of Kings and Overseas students - they had 2 places).

At least 3/5 'traditional' courses in London ended up taking on more peeps than they had funding for :|
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks (btw re-reading the last paragraph of my last post sounds like I'm accusing your friend of being responsible when it's almost certain she isn't involved in distributing the management stats cds to institutions...AFAIK it's done electronically almost all the way through)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks (btw re-reading the last paragraph of my last post sounds like I'm accusing your friend of being responsible when it's almost certain she isn't involved in distributing the management stats cds to institutions...AFAIK it's done electronically almost all the way through)

lol! i didn't take it that way at all!!! Have sent her an e-mail so should get a reply tomorrow!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    lol! i didn't take it that way at all!!! Have sent her an e-mail so should get a reply tomorrow!
    thanks

also - being a sad muppet I was thinking about this last night in bed (foolishly ate pasta so couldn't sleep :rolleyes: ) and wondered if maybe your friend works on the Clearing website/advertising side of things. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that next to no places were advertised during clearing...even though we filled 10 places through clearing last yr here at Soton not one was advertised (through the UCAS website or in the Independant's suppliment) they were filled through contacts with rejected students and students contacting the uni outside of the clearing hotline. In fact the students manning the clearing hotline were told to inform callers that we had no places available in medicine - only people who contacted the med admissions office directly were considered.

Sorry to keep on about this - I can't resist puzzles

ReputationRep:
    I applied through clearing this year. And not throught and advertised place, just to the course I wanted, I had been emailing Marjons to ask about the course anyway.

The only prob was that the link to confirm it was down for about 12hours.... not a happy bunny!

It's fixed not though yay!
    Eva

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.