The Student Room Group

Do you eat your housemates food?

I do quite regular! Luckily I get on with them well and they laugh it off. I wouldn't eat a main piece like expensive meat...but definitely bread, milk, fruit, salad if I fancy it. Would this bother you? If so why?

I think I am going to get a housemate eventually that will hate me doing it...should be interesting.

btw I am pretty easy going with my food as well.

Scroll to see replies

I think I would kill you in your sleep.

I don't mind sharing if people have the respect to ask. Otherwise it is stealing and stealing from friends is a pretty ****ty thing to do.
Nope, never.

Well almost never, I did once take a squirt of someone else's ketchup when I found I didn't have any, though I think it might have been my ketchup that had ended up on their shelf.
Reply 3
only when i came back drunk lol..i used to just make a random meal out of everything, no-one noticed or gave a sheeettt!!
Reply 4
Original post by FranticMind
I think I would kill you in your sleep.

I don't mind sharing if people have the respect to ask. Otherwise it is stealing and stealing from friends is a pretty ****ty thing to do.

I tell them after I have ate it that I took it...it's not like I do it sneakily.

Also another thing I have noticed with houseshares is that loads of food gets wasted because a whole loaf is generally too much for one person, a bunch of bananas or pack of apples etc...so much food gets wasted. That is why I also do it as well because they generally just chuck it away.

tbh you would get used to it, I always get people to my way of thinking...you'd just be angry because you're socially conditioned to think you should be angry, once I got rid of your social conditioning you would become a more relaxed and sharing person.

The girls I live with will spend £100+ on shoes without a second thought....why would they suddenly cry that I have took a piece of bread from an 80p loaf? Only answer is social conditioning and *******s such as 'it is the principle of the matter'....which is generally an excuse to act like a child without actually any thought about the fact of the matter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Nope, never.

Well almost never, I did once take a squirt of someone else's ketchup when I found I didn't have any, though I think it might have been my ketchup that had ended up on their shelf.

I read that totally different...
Reply 6
I'm not at uni yet but this would really annoy me. If someone asked I'd be more than happy to share but if someone was helping themselves to my food, which I had brought because they fancied it I'd be peeved!
Reply 7
I would eat all your food and then see how you felt!
Me and my 'college wife' who lives in the room next door to me basically eat each other's food all the time, it's become such a share-and-share-alike situation that neither of us really mind, although we do usually ask first :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by sikhtank27
only when i came back drunk lol..i used to just make a random meal out of everything, no-one noticed or gave a sheeettt!!

When I come back drunk I generally drink their booze and eat their food. I will replace the booze but not the food. They do it to me as well, but before I moved in they never would do it at all. Much more relaxed and friendly atmosphere now.
Original post by A5ko
I read that totally different...

I saw on.. but I re-read it.
Reply 11
Original post by Sha_15
I would eat all your food and then see how you felt!

That would be an overreaction though. It generally wouldn't massively bother me if you did that either. All my food is probably worth £30 at best, I waste that amount of money regularly. I would just think you're a pathetic person and treat you as such.
Original post by McHumpy92
I tell them after I have ate it that I took it...it's not like I do it sneakily.

Also another thing I have noticed with houseshares is that loads of food gets wasted because a whole loaf is generally too much for one person, a bunch of bananas or pack of apples etc...so much food gets wasted. That is why I also do it as well because they generally just chuck it away.

tbh you would get used to it, I always get people to my way of thinking...you'd just be angry because you're socially conditioned to think you should be angry, once I got rid of your social conditioning you would become a more relaxed and sharing person.

The girls I live with will spend £100+ on shoes without a second though....why would they suddenly cry that I have too a piece of bread from an 80p loaf? Only answer is social conditioning and *******s such as 'it is the principle of the matter'....which is generally an excuse to act like a child without actually any though about the fact of the matter.

Lol. "I always get people to my way of thinking" erm.. I highly doubt that. I'd be pretty annoyed as I paid for the food myself, and someone thinking they can just take my food without even the courtesy of asking is just plain rude and as another said, it would be considered stealing. I think it is just as bad to take something and only announce it afterwards rather than before... So no maybe you're not doing it sneakily but you're still doing it without asking.

And what are you on about with this social conditioning stuff? I really doubt you can convince me taking other people's food without asking is okay. Really.

The only time I'd be okay with that is if I had come to some sort of agreement with the other person that we gave permission to each other to use bits of each others food if they needed to, and even then it's different to just simply taking others' food as you please.
(edited 11 years ago)
We pretty much have an agreement that we can use a bit of each other's milk/sugar/butter/eggs if we have run out and not got around to getting more that day.

Occasionally I'll nick a bit of seasoning...
Reply 14
Original post by SyOnGuitar
Lol. "I always get people to my way of thinking" erm.. I highly doubt that. I'd be pretty annoyed as I paid for the food myself, and someone thinking they can just take my food without even the courtesy of asking is just plain rude and as another said, it would be considered stealing. I think it is just as bad to take something and only announce it afterwards rather than before... So no maybe you're not doing it sneakily but you're still doing it without asking.

And what are you on about with this social conditioning stuff? I really doubt you can convince me taking other people's food without asking is okay. Really.

The only time I'd be okay with that is if I had come to some sort of agreement with the other person that we gave permission to each other to use bits of each others food if they needed to, and even then it's different to just simply taking others' food as you please.

The agreement is that I live with them, I don't expect them to be socially retarded so I don't expect them to flip their lid if I take a piece of bread. I also walk in their rooms when they're not there as well if I need something. Well apart from the weird ones that lock their door every time they leave.

I am pretty care free though and expect others to be the same....I wear them down to become care free, only person I haven't been able to crack is my dad, everyone else is fairly easy to crack....you make them laugh and breakdown what is happening and explain how they're upset due to social conditioning and after a while they come round to your thinking. Only children are the hardest to crack because they have by far the least social skills.
Reply 15
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
We pretty much have an agreement that we can use a bit of each other's milk/sugar/butter/eggs if we have run out and not got around to getting more that day.

Occasionally I'll nick a bit of seasoning...

Finally another level headed poster....not one that lets their life be dictated by social conditioning.
Reply 16
Sometimes I used my housemate's salt. :creep:
Reply 17
No, it is pretty much stealing. I've used their sugar before when I really wanted a cup of tea and the shops were shut, but they rarely buy washing up liquid/toilet paper etc so tbh I'm still definitely subsidising them :tongue: And I use the sea salt they bought because the box has lasted us since September and it seems a bit silly to buy another one which will be 90% wasted...
Reply 18
Original post by conway!
No, it is pretty much stealing. I've used their sugar before when I really wanted a cup of tea and the shops were shut, but they rarely buy washing up liquid/toilet paper etc so tbh I'm still definitely subsidising them :tongue: And I use the sea salt they bought because the box has lasted us since September and it seems a bit silly to buy another one which will be 90% wasted...

So by your logic...you're allowed to commit a crime because they committed a crime. Good logic there.
I'm fat so if anyone steals my food, its war.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest