The Student Room Group

2013 Malaysia Grand Prix

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Solid.Snake
Does anyone know if Pirelli are going to change their tyre compounds for Malaysia?
As if we had 3 stops in Australia we might have 4 or even 5 stops in Malaysia with the same tyres.
There should be higher track temperatures and the circuit has a lot of medium-high speed corners which is going to be hard on the tyres.

Pirelli brought super soft and medium tyre to Australia.

For Malaysia it's medium and hard I believe. Will probably be the same amount of pit stops if not more, despite the harder compounds, because Malaysia degradation is on the extreme side.
Reply 81
Original post by Marc Fiorano
For Malaysia it's medium and hard I believe. Will probably be the same amount of pit stops if not more, despite the harder compounds, because Malaysia degradation is on the extreme side.

Correct. They've changed the colour of the hard sidewall to orange to distinguish it from the white wall of the medium too, supposedly.
Reply 82
Original post by Feathers1997
Is it right that a driver can win a race by more than ten seconds simply because his car is the least punishing to its tyres? Why can't we go back to the F1 of old where the cars are designed to go as fast as possible, not be gentle on tyres that last for about forty miles at most?

My main concern is the real world implications, we don't need cars which won't be so hard on their tyres - modern cars already do that! But an aerodynamic or mechanical design which enables a car go even faster, the world wants and needs. (Think smaller engines for the same speeds, ergo increased efficiency)

The article that suggested Kimi won by strategy also alluded to the fact that there was evidence to suggest the Lotus was no going full pelt and so would likely have won anyway given the difference over the race was 0.1 seconds per lap on strategy.
If Mclaren have another terrible week would it be too early to say that Hamilton jumped a sinking ship? Perhaps, but one things for sure, if Hamilton had stayed at Mclaren he'd definitely be kicking himself. The whole situation is quite embarrassing really...
Original post by Rakas21
The article that suggested Kimi won by strategy also alluded to the fact that there was evidence to suggest the Lotus was no going full pelt and so would likely have won anyway given the difference over the race was 0.1 seconds per lap on strategy.

Exactly, the difference was in strategy not necessarily in outright pace in the car
Reply 85
Exactly, the difference was in strategy not necessarily in outright pace in the car

Which has often been the case in Formula 1.
Original post by Birdman1234567
If Mclaren have another terrible week would it be too early to say that Hamilton jumped a sinking ship? Perhaps, but one things for sure, if Hamilton had stayed at Mclaren he'd definitely be kicking himself. The whole situation is quite embarrassing really...

Macca have a strong reputation of building a fast car as the season progresses.

09 springs to mind.

My main concern is the real world implications, we don't need cars which won't be so hard on their tyres - modern cars already do that! But an aerodynamic or mechanical design which enables a car go even faster, the world wants and needs. (Think smaller engines for the same speeds, ergo increased efficiency)

That's what they did when they changed from V10s a few years ago and will be doing again next year when they reduce engine size again to the small turbo engines...
Reply 88
Original post by Motorbiker
That's what they did when they changed from V10s a few years ago and will be doing again next year when they reduce engine size again to the small turbo engines...

Wonder what they will do in a few years time, they're not going to get engines much smaller with a turbo stil capable of F1 speeds/performance are they?
Original post by Motorbiker

And that is progress in the right direction as it is making the most out of smaller and smaller engines. But pray tell, what is the point in developing cars that run on tyres with such a short life?
And that is progress in the right direction as it is making the most out of smaller and smaller engines. But pray tell, what is the point in developing cars that run on tyres with such a short life?

Entertainment.

It's easy to make tyres that last a whole race. Bridgestone and Michelin could both do it.

Making cars that use their tyres efficeintly is surely good for everyone anyway.
Reply 91

Yes at the race however because Kimi did his fastest lap 10 laps after Alonso that is evidence that the Lotus is not only faster but better on its tyres than the Ferrari. Basically, whilst Alonso was pushing, Kimi was simply cruising.
Out of curiosity - do you guys watch F1 with friends and/or family?

There's usually 3 or 4 of us on race day (hence I seldom post on these threads during the race) which I think is fantastic. I love watching F1 with my mates!
Reply 93
Original post by mikeyd85

There's usually 3 or 4 of us on race day (hence I seldom post on these threads during the race) which I think is fantastic. I love watching F1 with my mates!

I watch with my younger brother - and sometimes my 86 year-old grandmother.

Friends? No. They give you the "F1 isn't even a sport man". But I would like it if more of my friends did watch F1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
Wonder what they will do in a few years time, they're not going to get engines much smaller with a turbo stil capable of F1 speeds/performance are they?

That's the challenge that the teams will have to overcome and if they succeed then it will be better for the automotive industry as a whole
In 2014, a good chunk of the power delivered by the engine will come from energy recovery systems.
Reply 96

On my own. None of my friends or family here like F1. Watched with friends at uni though which was great.
Original post by Sufistic
I watch with my younger brother - and sometimes my 86 year-old grandmother.

Friends? No. They give you the "F1 isn't even a sport man". But I would like it if more of my friends did watch F1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! Watching F1 with my gran is one of my earliest memories. It was of Senna... :sad:

You're friends need to be bitch-slapped for such heresy!

Original post by dhr90
On my own. None of my friends or family here like F1. Watched with friends at uni though which was great.

:sad:

I watch it with the girlfriend usually when they're morning races anyway.
In afternoon races i have it on PC with skype open to my brother. So that kind of counts as watching it with him...

Always grew up watching it with family.
Reply 99
Started watching 1996 with my parents because of Hill (but my sister hates F1, so clearly she's adopted...). Early races I've just been watching with the boyf but the rest of the time we usually have cross-team 'youngling' get togethers with either pizza or BBQ.

Quick Reply

Latest