Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Be honest, would you go out with someone with no legs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think I would struggle to approach someone with no legs to be honest and therefore the chances of building a relationship with them are slim to none. If an able person lost their legs that is different because you knew the person before they had no legs and you would love them just the same as you did when they had legs.

ReputationRep:
    People don't like to be honest and realistic if they think it makes them look like a bad person, I would just say no.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if I found them attractive. And I've found amputees/people in wheelchairs attractive before, so I know that's a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Below the knee then yeah, above the knee (no legs at all) then I would give it a try but it's quite unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest, can you really tell if someone has no legs these days if they are fully clothed?
    I guess its more of an issue with a woman because of dresses etc but you wouldn't be able to tell unless you were really paying attention on a guy

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, yes (and I'm not just saying that to be pc or whatever). I'm quite surprised reading some of the answers people have put, but there you go..
    I think that personality is what's most important and what difference does having no legs have?
    I don't think a physical disability would stop me talking to someone, and if youdon't talk to someone because of something like that, you're never even gonna know what they're like as a person..
    I guess it shows how many people judge and make assumptions based on looks, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yea i think i would, however, i would have to think about what kind of care he needed if i was going to be with him long term. i dont think i could handle someone being fully dependent on me

ReputationRep:
    Depends what type of amputee they are. With the advanced prosthetics nowadays, a below the knee amputee probably wouldn't be recognised as such and wouldn't require extra care like an above the knee. Because of this, I think with a below the knee amputee it wouldn't matter, but above the knee may be a bit more iffy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    All I can imagine is spinning the person around on my penis during sexual intercourse. Could work out.
    You mean like this?

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...0turntable.gif

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it would make a difference initially, even if you're just worried it might make things difficult or something, but I would definitely give that person a chance at least.

I don't see why they would have to be perfect in every other way either like has been said. Would an able bodied person have to be perfect in every way for you to see them? If not, why hold an amputee to higher standards than a person with intact limbs?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I don't know. I wouldn't until I was in that situation. Of course I could say of course I would, only the personality matters!' but that would be a lie. It's not just about looks or 'not caring about disability' - think about what it'd be like. It might be difficult. You can't prepare yourself for that, and I could only make a decision when faced with that. Would love be enough? I'd like to think so but I can't be 100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against going out with someone with no legs but I have this weird phobia of mannequins and stuff so those prosthetic limbs scare me a bit...maybe I'd be fine if they had those metal ones

ReputationRep:
    Oscar Pistorius (not taking into the account the fact that he's been charged with murder since that rules him out as boyfriend material straight away) has only lost his lower legs and apart from that "disability", is a model of health and fitness. Just because someone has lost their legs it doesn't mean that they can't live as actively as a "normal" person.

I realise it's an exaggeration, but imagine it was a choice between this...Name:  Oscar Pistorius.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  21.0 KB

and this...Name:  unhealthy_180.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  12.6 KB

In my opinion, there are many more important factors in determining how attractive someone is than whether or not they have legs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel1215)
    I think I would, disabilities don't really bother me I've grown up around people with different disabilities and I think I could see past it especially if I really liked him.
    This legalistic loophole is everywhere on these threads. The catch is that, chances are, most people wouldn't give them a chance to be likeable because what initially attracts us to a person romantically is their aesthetics. People often say personality is the most important factor but there has to be some filter in who to approach/accept courting from in this way and who not to and its natural for people to use physical desirability as this filter. Unless you were forced into contact with him over a long period, chances are you would never like him because you wouldn't give him a chance to be likeable as not having legs would probably catch him very firmly in the filter of physical desirability. Not a judgement on you personally.

Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    This legalistic loophole is everywhere on these threads. The catch is that, chances are, most people wouldn't give them a chance to be likeable because what initially attracts us to a person romantically is their aesthetics. People often say personality is the most important factor but there has to be some filter in who to approach/accept courting from in this way and who not to and its natural for people to use physical desirability as this filter. Unless you were forced into contact with him over a long period, chances are you would never like him because you wouldn't give him a chance to be likeable as not having legs would probably catch him very firmly in the filter of physical desirability. Not a judgement on you personally.
    But with prosthetics like Oscar Pistorious, you can go years without realising they're wearing them unless you get intimate very quickly. You could easily get to know them before they mention their leg.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah!

although I would be worried that they would have a napolean complex or something.

Lol, now i cant stop thinking of an abusive guy dating a legless girl and threatening her for talking to other guys.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't really bother me to be truthfully honest.

ReputationRep:
    of course??
    I don't think I would give a damn if ryan gosling had no legs... with more severe disabilities (no arms/ deaf/ paralysis) it might make a relationship difficult, but legs? so what, you need prosthetics, you need a wheelchair... meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    assumption that legs are the key to attraction... brad pitt with prosthetic legs is still brad pitt, no? how many women do you know who say "god, brad pitt is so fit, I mean have you seen his knees?!?!" ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.