Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Be honest, would you go out with someone with no legs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Yes I agree that people may pursue someone who they find attractive. I can not conclude that everyone feels that no legs = undesirable.
    Are you saying that not having legs doesn't necessarily make someone completely undesirable (which I never said) or that not having legs can actually be desirable (a negligible fraction of society)?

Most people find no legs undesirable, and the aesthetic falldown and practical implications of being romantically involved with someone without legs makes in reality the chances of a legless person being in a relationship comparatively tiny to the average person.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I would but probably not. On the other hand, if my girlfriend lost her legs, I don't think i'd break up with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophmay)
    If he had no legs; I would love him and stay with him but it would take a while to get used to. I would probably be inclined to ask him to keep prosthetics on for a while at least until I got used to it.
    Ironically, it is easier to get used to than you might think? My boyfriend has had to have both of his legs amputated recently. Aesthetics don't come into question as much as a 'thank god you're still alive' does.

And just so you know, you'd be getting used to him without before you got used to him having prosthetics as he wouldn't get prosthetics for a good few months

I genuinely hope it never happens to you though, to anyone.. <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The other day I was talking to a group of people about the whole Oscar Pistorius situation, and one guy said 'I'm surprised that model went out with someone with no legs'. Almost everyone in the conversation was shocked and acted like they were disgusted at the comment. They all started saying 'why would it make a different to anyone', 'I would never consider not going out with someone because they have no legs' etc. Now, I was actually very surprised by their reaction. I know what they guy said wasn't politically correct, but I have to admit I assumed it was something most people would secretly be thinking (by the way I know celebrities are different as they have women attracted to them because of their fame, money etc.). The fact that everyone was implying that having no legs would give someone no disadvantage whatsoever when it comes to attracting the opposite sex really surprised me.

Now I'm thinking, were all these people just saying that to seem like they're not shallow? Or do you think the majority of people would genuinely not see having no legs as less attractive than having legs?

Would you date someone with no legs? And I don't mean 'would you stay with your girlfriend/boyfriend if they lost their legs in an accident'. I mean, would you start dating someone you had just met, if they had no legs?
    sure.. why the heck should it matter? If he had one leg, two legs or no legs.
    Doesn't mean they are less of a person for it..

I hate this **** about disabled people being less attractive or less wanted.. for **** sake we're humans too.

ReputationRep:
    Love cumz in all shapes nd sizes so what if they hv no legs aint the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophmay)
    Weeeird! I asked my fiancé this yesterday! (maybe we are telepathically connected :P) And I had a dream two days ago that I had no legs, only prosthetics. He said he would stay with me if I lost my legs. I asked what would we do about sex; would I keep my prosthetic legs on or off? He said it would be weird both ways. I think he would stay with me out of duty but he would look elsewhere for the physical side; I honestly don't think he would be sexually attracted to me if I had no legs.
    If he had no legs; I would love him and stay with him but it would take a while to get used to. I would probably be inclined to ask him to keep prosthetics on for a while at least until I got used to it.

I've not really considered the situation without prosthetics since it was a conversation that arised because I had a dream I had them.
    Why? If he liked you before.. why can't he like you even without legs?

I can understand sex might be difficult but that doesn't mean he can't find you attractive simply because now your legs disappeared.

ReputationRep:
    Im not saying i never would, but i probably wouldnt choose to date someone who had no legs. however i wouldnt let it stop me, should i fall in love with them.
    if my current partner had to have his legs amputated, i would still stay with him without a doubt. id juat learn to adapt.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I am lazy and I get my boyfriend to get stuff for me when I'm laying in bed and I can't be bothered getting out. He would be useless for that with no legs...

No, but seriously, it would be undesirable. It doesn't mean I would completely rule it out though. And if my boyfriend was to become, umm, legless? (hahaha) I wouldn't be like, right that's it, you don't have legs, you're out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c3rys)
    Personally, I am lazy and I get my boyfriend to get stuff for me when I'm laying in bed and I can't be bothered getting out. He would be useless for that with no legs...

No, but seriously, it would be undesirable. It doesn't mean I would completely rule it out though. And if my boyfriend was to become, umm, legless? (hahaha) I wouldn't be like, right that's it, you don't have legs, you're out.
    So you're boyfriend is dating a cabbage?

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about this before lol

Of course, having no legs is a disadvantage. No point of pretending the relationship will be the same as every other.

I don't think I would rule it out. I would do it only if we got along, and they would have to compensate through other ways like having an awesome personality etc

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty very unlikely. I definitely wouldn't if it we hadn't known each other that long, and she would have to be very pretty and she would have to be uncommonly nice, likable and kind as a person. But maybe if we had time to grow very close then I could see that happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    How many men do you know who look like Brad Pitt? It's not so much about the presence of legs being a plus as their absence being a negative. We look for traits we want to pass on; the ugly truth is that this includes being attracted to a full set of working limbs and repelled by otherwise. You use Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling as examples of how being legless is irrelevant because only their level of physical attraction would be enough to compensate for not having legs. Most men are far below their aesthetic level and I'm not sure you'd commit quite so willingly to courting with a legless average Joe.

I didn't assume that legs are the key to attraction. I implied that someone's attractiveness is seriously undermined in most people's eyes when they are missing half their body. It's not just aesthetic; the practical implications of having a partner without legs are very great. When you encounter someone with these problems but, not having known them, have no emotional investment in their life beyond general human sympathy it's extremely unlikely you'd be inclined to building a relationship with them of any kind, let alone romantic.
    I'm not suggesting it doesn't affect attractiveness/ dateability in a lot of people's eyes, I'm just saying in mine it doesn't. I only use the brad Pitt analogy for people that say they wouldn't date ANYONE with no legs - I find that hard to believe. If I would happily date a person with legs, I would date them without. Buts that's not everyone, that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)

I hate this **** about disabled people being less attractive or less wanted.. for **** sake we're humans too.
    I couldn't agree more! I can't believe how judgemental people are.
    Yes, having no legs is gonna have it's disadvantages but at the end of the day people with limbs missing are humans, just like everyone else.
    I'd like to know how the people saying they hands down wouldn't even give anyone with no legs a chance would feel if they were the ones in this sort of position:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    If I found them attractive and liked their personality, then yes. The real question is: Can I find a woman with no legs attractive? I would wager that I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JagSan)
    Wow you completely missed the point. It's talking about general appearance, not just legs.

The point was would you date them. I say yes. Legs contribute very little to GENERAL attractiveness.

ReputationRep:
    If I fell in love with them then yes. Why would it matter? However I wouldn't choose to go out with a legless person just like I wouldn't choose to go out with anybody.

ReputationRep:
    i have sick and immoral desires so yes i would

ReputationRep:
    I would. Especially is they looked like Oscar Pistorius.
    I probably wouldn't date someone in a wheelchair though, not trying to be mean, just honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    The point was would you date them. I say yes. Legs contribute very little to GENERAL attractiveness.
    Once again, it's not so much that having legs is a positive as not having them is a massive negative. Not just aesthetically but sexually and in broader practicalities. Most are not nearly so lucky to have the advanced prosthetics that Pistorious boasts and I suspect you don't quite understand just how hindering they can be.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.