The Student Room Group

Basically...have my furture plans failed?

Scroll to see replies

I'm guessing from your name that it's for religious reasons - can't you get Islamic financing?
Original post by Audre
Well that's fine. It's your choice. Academia is not for everyone. People think that everyone should study and that studies will magically improve your life. Well it just creates a surplus of graduates, which is precisely one of the reasons why degree is loosing its value. Unless you get into a good Uni, do lots of internships/volunteering and get the First or at least 2.1, it is risky to study.

It shocks me how people go to some crappy University, don't study for three years, don't gain any relevant work experience, graduate with 2.2 or even 3 and then complain why they need to work in a supermarket after they've spent 3 years at Uni. :eek:

Do people actually do that?

This is the reason why people will only be really considered if they come from on the Russell group universities

Posted from TSR Mobile e
Reply 42
End of the day religion is religion dont act like you are super religios sorry if i offend you but this ten second choice you make now about not taking a loan is going to affect the next ten years.
you musty be nuts to say that though like not taking a loan yeah its haram (against Allahs will) but so is car insurance so is every other thing you do in your daily life haha :P
Reply 43
Yes-think in the rush to get degree, people often don't /find it difficult to reflect on several things:

Do I love my subject enough to study for 3/4years.

Is this useful for. my future? I don't think it has be directly vocational /applied-but does it mean you have much stronger, academic base from which to sell yourself to employers?
Reply 44
Original post by RemiMarcelle
Do people actually do that?

This is the reason why people will only be really considered if they come from on the Russell group universities

Posted from TSR Mobile e

Of course they complain. No one would pay £9000 a year without any expectations. Those who couldn't be bothered to put more effort in or do some extra work, went to Uni for the same reason as everyone else - to get an education and a better life. They simply didn't have a good understanding on how competitive it is and their expectations are too high.

You are right. University's name and prestige is one of the main factors. But not the only factor. I think that out of two candidates, one of whom graduated with 2.2/3rd from Oxbridge and the second one with 1st/ 2.1 from less prestigious institution, the second one would be more attractive. He, unlike the first one, demonstrated he's a hard working person.
Reply 45
Although i am not sure if you are a muslim because it does not sound so from your name. But I would also suggest taking a gap year and getting a good job or taking a few years out to do a job so that you can save money. If you really are against loans or debts, I would suggest leaving this country. There is NOTHING such as a truly islamic loan in this country. It is all rubbish!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending