The Student Room Group

Dad is dragging me down about uni.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cape Verde
Your dad sounds very narrow minded.

This is most likely. Add ignorant as well. He is surprisingly racist for a guy who was involved in producing mixed race children.
Reply 21
Original post by CRIKEY12
You get more maintenance grant money in London if you are eligible. Student Finance for details.

Eligibility is my concern. I could not get EMA due to my dad earning too much for a single parent despite being riddled in debt and can barely afford to fix his car or pay for food.
Sounds a little like my dad. I just use the things he sometimes says to drive me to prove him, and others, wrong.

As for living in London, student finance give you more money than if you were outside of London. Be sensible with your money and I'm sure you'll manage fine!

EDIT: I just had a look on the student finance website and if your household income is under £25,000, you can get around £9000 per year (loan and grant total).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by grape monster
Sounds a little like my dad. I just use the things he sometimes says to drive me to prove him, and others, wrong.

As for living in London, student finance give you more money than if you were outside of London. Be sensible with your money and I'm sure you'll manage fine!

EDIT: I just had a look on the student finance website and if your household income is under £25,000, you can get around £9000 per year (loan and grant total).

He earns over but due to the debt he has, he can barely give me money.
Original post by Willbean
My dad is being his miserable pessimistic self again, normally I'll ignore it but this time it's got to me.

He keeps asking about what if I fail, how will I survive, how expensive London is etc and saying that only rich people only go to London uni.

Is this true? Rich people whose parents pay for them go to a London uni?

the reason why he is pessimistic is because he has low self esteem
Reply 25
Original post by Dukeofwembley
the reason why he is pessimistic is because he has low self esteem

I'm not surprised but it's dragging me down and cost me my self esteem. But I'm not a pessimist.
I certainly wouldn't recommend going to a London uni personally because I don't think it's worth it unless you get into UCL or LSE or somewhere like that. Have you thought about going somewhere outside of London?
My parents are against me going to uni. They think I won't cope, because of the difficulties I had. My mum keeps pointing out that I struggled with some of my work on my BTEC. But in all honestly at time, I wasn't aiming for uni. So didn't try as hard as I could and I did alright but could of done better. As course was coursework based, I could have improved my grades if I had worked harder. I wasted time, and blamed part of that on my part time job. When I had plenty of time, I just didn't realise it. It had made me realise what I need to do, when it comes uni. That I most try and work each day on my uni work. I intend not to get a part time job, unless I really need too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by lozzielizzie
My parents are against me going to uni. They think I won't cope, because of the difficulties I had. My mum keeps pointing out that I struggled with some of my work on my BTEC. But in all honestly at time, I wasn't aiming for uni. So didn't try as hard as I could and I did alright but could of done better. As course was coursework based, I could have improved my grades if I had worked harder. I wasted time, and blamed part of that on my part time job. When I had plenty of time, I just didn't realise it. It had made me realise what I need to do, when it comes uni. That I most try and work each day on my uni work. I intend not to get a part time job, unless I really need too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish you good luck!
You too, my parents may not think it the right thing. But I think they kind of accepted it now. Going to uni my chance to make something of myself. As currently going no where, in a low paid, long hours dead end job. My intention is to train as a physical education teacher. A career with a decent salary and something I will really enjoy. Having worked as a sports coach and taught pe in primary schools

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest