Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Doing badly in a 5th AS level - will it affect me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just wondering if any of you have gone through this and can give me some advice.
    Right now I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at AS as well as History of Art as an "extension" although it is a valid AS level.
    My concern is that I'm on track for As in my "core subjects" but am getting marked Us or Es in my history of art practise essays. I'm worried that it'll affect my chances of getting into uni if the course is particularly competitive and they see that I have done badly in an AS, that may make them choose someone else over me.
    Also revising for a fifth, very hard (and not something I'm naturally good at) AS will mean I won't spend as much time preparing for my other exams and consequently may bring my grades down especially if I'm STRESSING about it!
    I gave the subject a try but it's now clear to me that I haven't got a hope in hell.
    I'm gonna try and make sure I don't get entered into the exam, but I need a strong argument as my teacher does not allow people to drop subjects.
    - is an extension, "unnecessary" 5th subject
    - am working at grade E and haven't improved
    - nothing to do with my future options or career choices (chem, bio, maths, wanting to do pharmacology at uni)
    - same day AND same time (?!!) as Maths exam, and is on my first exam day aka stress city
    - might bring my grades down / affect my future

What I really want some help with is either (a) tell me how it may affect me (if I take the exam and do really badly), from what you or someone you know / heard about has experienced so I can use it in my argument or (b) use your experience to reassure me that I'll be ok if I don't manage to drop the subject!

I know this post is long but I'd be so grateful for some help
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware universities really aren't looking for a fifth AS. That doesn't mean doing one isn't a valid use of your time, but it isn't essential.

I've got a friend who dropped down to three AS levels and still has offers from top UK universities. Within reason it really is a case of quality not quantity.

If you think your ability to get A's in the subjects most relevant to your chosen course is impacted upon, you should really fight to be removed from History of Art.

Perhaps you could try contacting universities that you are interested in and seeing what they think about a fifth, less than perfect result?

Don't worry, it'll be ok!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the Good Egg. I took 5 AS's last year as well: bio, chem, maths, economics and english and want to do medicine. I wish somebody had strongly advised me to drop a subject but anyway I carried on with it and ended up with B's and C's. In your case, you are getting A's in the subjects you need them in and many unis clearly don't even look at a 5th subject. It is a load of rubbish when people say that taking a slightly different kind of subject to your career plan shows variety and impresses unis. Unis are really bothered about whether you will be able to make a good career out of the subject you have applied for and whether you will be able to survive that course. They really are not bothered about anything else.

Although the best thing would have been to drop the subject, but if you can't then I suggest not giving any time or as minimal time to it as you can and really really then try and get good grades in the other 4. You will be absolutely fine then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maroosh)
    I agree with the Good Egg.
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Drop it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys! I'll try and convince teacher to let me drop it, but if I can't I'll just keep my main focus on my other subjects I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could drop it, or maybe you could ask your college if you can sit the exam next year, so you take the AS level over two years instead of one so that takes the pressure off if you really have your heart set on doing it

ReputationRep:
    If you don't turn up to the exam it won't turn up on any of your certificates. Keep that in mind just in case your teacher doesn't reason with you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I know that this is isn't much help but by the sounds of things you really need to drop it. No uni course requires 5 (some want 4) but it really won't affect your application, especially if you're doing well in your other subjects. It's just not worth it. Your school is being rather silly if it won't let you drop it. Just plead your case and hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    Personally i'd drop it to ensure that you do well in your other 4.. a common phrase of 'quality not quantity' springs to mind

I did 4 As levels with grades ABBU so basically, i have 3 As levels. My predicted grades are also realistic and nothing flash being AAB. This did not effect me at all for University I recieved all 5 offers from Nottingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffield Hallam for Maths.

Universities will focus mainly upon your 3 subjects taken to A2 and your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Good Egg)
    As far as I'm aware universities really aren't looking for a fifth AS. That doesn't mean doing one isn't a valid use of your time, but it isn't essential.

I've got a friend who dropped down to three AS levels and still has offers from top UK universities. Within reason it really is a case of quality not quantity.

If you think your ability to get A's in the subjects most relevant to your chosen course is impacted upon, you should really fight to be removed from History of Art.

Perhaps you could try contacting universities that you are interested in and seeing what they think about a fifth, less than perfect result?

Don't worry, it'll be ok!
    NEVER LEAVE HISTORY OF ART.

HISTORY OF ART IS GOD.

ooh, look at you, giving such good advice...

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.