Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I drew this sketch recently but I want to know what can be improved. Please can someone give me feedback?

Name:  528065_375673052471173_1982962671_n.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  76.7 KB

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It's well sketched but you should add some detail in the flower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodbye)
    It's well sketched but you should add some detail in the flower.
    More shading to emphasise colour?

ReputationRep:
    It looks too 2D. Use tone and line to create shape on the flower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodbye)
    Yes
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    agreed (looks great though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    It looks too 2D. Use tone and line to create shape on the flower.
    How could I make it more 3D? Sorry, I'm trying to teach myself how to sketch plants at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BC95)
    agreed (looks great though)
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Your lines need a variety of weight to them. Also try to be more confident with your linework, a good exercise to achieve confident linework is never let the pencil leave the paper, try and do all linework in one line. Again and again and again.

The shading is weak. The whole thing looks very grey and dull. Use a selection of different pencils (this will help with linework aswell). Practice, practice and practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DankJ)
    Your lines need a variety of weight to them. Also try to be more confident with your linework, a good exercise to achieve confident linework is never let the pencil leave the paper, try and do all linework in one line. Again and again and again.

The shading is weak. The whole thing looks very grey and dull. Use a selection of different pencils (this will help with linework aswell). Practice, practice and practice.
    Thanks. I'll note that down! I didn't have art pencils at the time so I was stuck with just an HB pencil. My fault really, have only just started taking sketching seriously.

Thanks again!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To be honest the shades in and around the flower could be darker a little to increase the emphasis between light and darkness.

ReputationRep:
    I drew this sketch recently but I want to know what can be improved. Please can someone give me feedback?

Name:  528065_375673052471173_1982962671_n.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  76.7 KB

Thanks.
    It could use a few more petals and details. Look for the imperfections - ensure you're putting in different tones and confident marks. Below is a flower I sketched in about 20 minutes two years ago. Apologies for it being old, but I've not done plants for a while.

Spoiler:
    Show

Really try and take notice of where the lightest and darkest points are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighcakes)
    It could use a few more petals and details. Look for the imperfections - ensure you're putting in different tones and confident marks. Below is a flower I sketched in about 20 minutes two years ago. Apologies for it being old, but I've not done plants for a while.

Spoiler:
    Show

Really try and take notice of where the lightest and darkest points are.
    Cor, that looks amazing!

ReputationRep:
    i would add an insect to make it more interesting ?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.