Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm only in year 12 but I'm starting to get really nervous about going to uni, everyone seems to be really excited because they can go out and party or whatever it is they do but I'm not really into that. I think I might be too awkward and antisocial to make friends Argh I don't even know if I eve want to go anymore. I'd planned on applying to Durham or Cambridge for physics or maths... From personal experience has any with a similar situation found it easy to fit in at University despite not being extremely sociable?

ReputationRep:
    I hate going out to clubs. I don't mind going for a few drinks in a bar or a pub (MUST be able to have a conversation, thus MUST NOT have loud music), but I'm no party animal. I'm not sure when I was last drunk. Now I tell you I'm a 23 year old student in final year of uni, whose friends pretty much all go out and get drunk at least once a week. But I still have those friends.

University is a truly wonderful place. So many different kinds of people go there, and you mix and meet through so many things. The first thing, in the immortal words of Douglas Adams, is DON'T PANIC. The second thing, is go to Fresher's Fair and sign up to the societies and clubs that interest you. The best way to meet like-minded people is to do this, and you'll make friends the first week. I've made friends with people I'd never imagined even knowing (because we dress and act so differently that we wouldn't approach each other in a bar) simply by knowing that as we are both in the same society, we have common interests.

You have nothing to fear, you will meet and make friends at uni no matter who or how you are. And for now, quit worrying, you're in year 12! Go have some fun (And work hard on your A-Levels of course!)

ReputationRep:
    I have the same worry! I'm moving to a new city and if I don't make any friends then I'll be lonely for the whole time in uni :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.