The Student Room Group

Anyone studied Hamlet for Higher English? Specific Question help

Basically I have to write a critical essay on Hamlet for Friday using the question:

"Choose a play in which a main character has to deal with uncertainty. Discuss to what extent the character's handling of the emotion sheds light on one or more central concern of the play."

I have got absolutely no idea how to start - due to a mix of awful teaching and my general inability to understand Higher English!:biggrin:

I was thinking starting paragraph one with the very first ghost scene and how it shows how Hamlet is indecisive and uncertain almost immediately but what do I write for other paragraphs?!

Surely i can't just write four paragraphs showing he was uncertain at 4 different points throughout the play...:s-smilie:

Thanks!
Reply 1
Ok basically the key words of the question are
DEAL WITH UNCERTAINTY (so when he does deal with it)
, TO WHAT EXTENT (so does he?)
and CENTRAL CONCERNS (think about what they are.)

When I wrote Hamlet essays, I used to always pick out the 4 main parts to write about in a question. However, they would be lenghty paragraphs mentioning other things too.

The difficult thing about English is that all teachers teach it differently and Hamlet is one of those plays which can be taught in numerous ways with different teachers focusing in on different strands of the play.

I think you're along the right lines for your first paragraph (the ghost scene)

Other things you could mention...
- when he meets his fathers ghost (this is uncertain as we as a reader don't know whether or not he is actually there)
- the eery and ambigious beginning to the play
- he doesn't know what to do with Ophelia (ends up with her insanity)
- Claudius in the church (he doesn't know what to do, he wants to kil him but can't)
- there are other things too

Also remember to address the second part of the question throughout. The "shed light..." which is about the character of Hamlet and how he is so undecisive that he does not get his revenge until the very end, where as he could have done it earlier and saved a lot of lives.

Just keep referring back to the question to make sure that you are answering it.
Reply 2
Original post by scottish19
Ok basically the key words of the question are
DEAL WITH UNCERTAINTY (so when he does deal with it)
, TO WHAT EXTENT (so does he?)
and CENTRAL CONCERNS (think about what they are.)

When I wrote Hamlet essays, I used to always pick out the 4 main parts to write about in a question. However, they would be lenghty paragraphs mentioning other things too.

The difficult thing about English is that all teachers teach it differently and Hamlet is one of those plays which can be taught in numerous ways with different teachers focusing in on different strands of the play.

I think you're along the right lines for your first paragraph (the ghost scene)

Other things you could mention...
- when he meets his fathers ghost (this is uncertain as we as a reader don't know whether or not he is actually there)
- the eery and ambigious beginning to the play
- he doesn't know what to do with Ophelia (ends up with her insanity)
- Claudius in the church (he doesn't know what to do, he wants to kil him but can't)
- there are other things too

Also remember to address the second part of the question throughout. The "shed light..." which is about the character of Hamlet and how he is so undecisive that he does not get his revenge until the very end, where as he could have done it earlier and saved a lot of lives.

Just keep referring back to the question to make sure that you are answering it.

Thanks!:smile: I didn't write this essay in time so now I have to do it over the holidays...
Does this sound any good?
Paragraph 1 - the ghost scene and how Hamlet is already backing out of taking action by the end of that scene.
Paragraph 2 - His relationship with Gertrude focussing on the closet scene and murder of Polonius - Shows how he can take action when emotional / worked up.
Paragraph 3 - Scene with Claudius at prayer. Suggests he doesn't really want revenge for the death of his Father.
Paragraph 4 - Something to do with the last act.. not really too sure about this :s-smilie:

What would the central concern be? Also, is there any chance you could suggest some good quotes for me to use in this?
I am really, really struggling with the whole play at the moment:frown:

Apologies if I'm asking too much - I know its no good for someone to just to all the work for me!
Reply 3
Original post by skier16
Thanks!:smile: I didn't write this essay in time so now I have to do it over the holidays...
Does this sound any good?
Paragraph 1 - the ghost scene and how Hamlet is already backing out of taking action by the end of that scene.
Paragraph 2 - His relationship with Gertrude focussing on the closet scene and murder of Polonius - Shows how he can take action when emotional / worked up.
Paragraph 3 - Scene with Claudius at prayer. Suggests he doesn't really want revenge for the death of his Father.
Paragraph 4 - Something to do with the last act.. not really too sure about this :s-smilie:

What would the central concern be? Also, is there any chance you could suggest some good quotes for me to use in this?
I am really, really struggling with the whole play at the moment:frown:

Apologies if I'm asking too much - I know its no good for someone to just to all the work for me!

Are you doing hamlet for the exam if so wanna discuss how to go about studying it like what key areas to focus on? Cos I've been putting it off for weeks and don't know where to start with something as long as hamlet...
Reply 4
Original post by Aay
Are you doing hamlet for the exam if so wanna discuss how to go about studying it like what key areas to focus on? Cos I've been putting it off for weeks and don't know where to start with something as long as hamlet...

Yeah sure:smile: I know what you mean, it's far too long...
I've been looking at key scenes really - The appearance of the ghost at the beginning, when the ghost tells Hamlet to avenge his Father, Claudius at prayer, the killing of Polonius, the final scene etc - and trying to find quotes that link to revenge / procrastination.
I am really behind though... not done enough on Hamlet yet :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by skier16
Yeah sure:smile: I know what you mean, it's far too long...
I've been looking at key scenes really - The appearance of the ghost at the beginning, when the ghost tells Hamlet to avenge his Father, Claudius at prayer, the killing of Polonius, the final scene etc - and trying to find quotes that link to revenge / procrastination.
I am really behind though... not done enough on Hamlet yet :s-smilie:

I've literally spent an hour on the net and found loads of ready made quotes from schools and classes that have done them and analysed them- try it. I'm now going to go through and get quotes for each of the main parts like you've mentioned above... Then basically analyse and remember them,

I am ok with my other 3 texts, just not this one, i have four days after my bio exam though to deal with english which is plenty, right?
Reply 6
Original post by Aay
I've literally spent an hour on the net and found loads of ready made quotes from schools and classes that have done them and analysed them- try it. I'm now going to go through and get quotes for each of the main parts like you've mentioned above... Then basically analyse and remember them,

I am ok with my other 3 texts, just not this one, i have four days after my bio exam though to deal with english which is plenty, right?

Any chance you could link me to some of those quotes / analysis? I can't seem to find any!

I've got a week and a bit between modern studies and english - but Maths, English and German are all in the same week so I'm having a bit of a panic attack! :colondollar:

I'm also planning on going through all the past-paper questions and writing plans for every question that could apply to Hamlet.
Reply 7
Original post by skier16
Any chance you could link me to some of those quotes / analysis? I can't seem to find any!

I've got a week and a bit between modern studies and english - but Maths, English and German are all in the same week so I'm having a bit of a panic attack! :colondollar:

I'm also planning on going through all the past-paper questions and writing plans for every question that could apply to Hamlet.

If i get a chance to i will, type in google higher english hamlet and its perth high school which has loads of files.

I might leave it today since ive been studying since 1ish. Plus i did an all nighter last night for lord of the flies. I'll do hamlet tomorrow :tongue:

Aw you're chilling then for english haha!

I've been told not to look at essay questions like that because there are loads of different essays that could come up
Reply 8
Original post by Aay
If i get a chance to i will, type in google higher english hamlet and its perth high school which has loads of files.

I might leave it today since ive been studying since 1ish. Plus i did an all nighter last night for lord of the flies. I'll do hamlet tomorrow :tongue:

Aw you're chilling then for english haha!

I've been told not to look at essay questions like that because there are loads of different essays that could come up

Ah right don't worry about a link, I found it, there is so much! Thankyou!

An all nighter? haha that's dedication:biggrin:

I see what you mean about how the questions are always different but my essays always seem to be pretty similar so hopefully if i've done lots of different plans I'll have at least an idea in my head of what to write
The most obvious uncertainty would be how Hamlet is indecisive. He constantly sways between things, "to be or not to be" he's over-analytical and struggles to make his mind up. Probably the most prominent example of this would be in his reluctance to get revenge on Claudius. When the ghost asked him to avenge him, he was so determined to do so, yet when he has his opportunity to do so when Claudius is in the chapel, he holds back; so that Claudius will too end up in purgatory. Hamlet went from despising Claudius even further because he put his father in Purgatory; in the context of the play, not being able to pray before death was an even more horrifying act than the murder itself; yet Hamlet completely changes his mind and sinks to Claudius' level. You could probably touch on the topic of his madness there too. Other examples of uncertainty could be how Hamlet is usually so careful and analytical (he wants to make sure Claudius is guilty before he gets revenge; so he puts on the re-enactment) to killing without a second thought, without even checking to see how it was (Polonius). Hamlet's uncertainty really raises the topics of possible madness and the morality surrounding revenge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending