The Student Room Group

Needs Assessment

Hi Folks. I have got my needs assessment booked for Friday. I had to fill out a wee form about which was about my difficulties in education, and a copy of the psychological assessment from when I was diagnosed with Dyslexia, and emailed it back to them. I'm just wondering if anyone has recently been to one of these assessments, as I'm wondering what to expect as I have not got the foggiest :rolleyes:.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's just a talk about what equipment and recommendations (such as extra time in exams) may benefit you.
Reply 2
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Hi Folks. I have got my needs assessment booked for Friday. I had to fill out a wee form about which was about my difficulties in education, and a copy of the psychological assessment from when I was diagnosed with Dyslexia, and emailed it back to them. I'm just wondering if anyone has recently been to one of these assessments, as I'm wondering what to expect as I have not got the foggiest :rolleyes:.

Hello!

I have mine booked for Friday too funnily enough :smile:
From what I've read it's just a talk with someone about how your disability affects your studies and what they can do to help you etc.

I'm quite nervous for mine though, so if anyone could post a bit of a more detailed sum up of what happens, I'd also be very appreciative!

Good luck with your needs assessment!
Reply 3
Original post by Alejandro
Hello!

I have mine booked for Friday too funnily enough :smile:
From what I've read it's just a talk with someone about how your disability affects your studies and what they can do to help you etc.

I'm quite nervous for mine though, so if anyone could post a bit of a more detailed sum up of what happens, I'd also be very appreciative!

Good luck with your needs assessment!

I am not Dyslexic; but I don't think my experience would be that different.

We just talked about what would benefit me and I was able to try out equipment before saying yes or no. They may talk about what you had at school and whether that was useful.
Reply 4
Do you mind me asking any of you how long it took for you to get an invitation to a needs assessment after you applied? I sent my application with all the evidence off about a week and a half ago and I'm just wondering how long this could take, as I don't think I can apply for accommodation at the university I've firmed until I've had my needs assessment. Thanks. :smile:
It took them two weeks to send me a email saying I'm entitled to DSA from the day I sent my DSA application form to Darlington. Once you get that email or the notice through the post, you can book your needs appointment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
It took them two weeks to send me a email saying I'm entitled to DSA from the day I sent my DSA application form to Darlington. Once you get that email or the notice through the post, you can book your needs appointment.

Thanks! Hopefully I won't be waiting too long then. Hope your needs assessment goes well on Friday.
Thanks a lot. I will report what they say on here on Friday evening. Hopefully your approval will be through soon :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ahnn
Do you mind me asking any of you how long it took for you to get an invitation to a needs assessment after you applied?

Just to be clear- when you apply for DSA your funding body will let you know when you can go ahead with the needs assessment. You then need to contact a centre to book an appointment. Centres are not allowed to contact students.
Reply 9
Original post by NJones
Just to be clear- when you apply for DSA your funding body will let you know when you can go ahead with the needs assessment. You then need to contact a centre to book an appointment. Centres are not allowed to contact students.

Oh ok thanks. :smile: So if I understand it correctly, at this stage they're just deciding whether I'm eligible for DSA? I've looked up where my nearest centre is and it's pretty close, so I'll make sure to book an appointment as soon as I hear back.
Original post by ahnn
Oh ok thanks. :smile: So if I understand it correctly, at this stage they're just deciding whether I'm eligible for DSA? I've looked up where my nearest centre is and it's pretty close, so I'll make sure to book an appointment as soon as I hear back.
Yes, they are deciding at the moment whether you are eligible for DSA. If they decide that you are, you will get a email confirming you are entitled to it, only then are you allowed to book a Needs Assessment. One piece of advice, it may say that there is a needs assessment centre near you, but that may not be the case. I thought I was going to have my needs assessment in Preston, but the nearest place doing Needs Assessments near me at the moment is in Manchester, on the Oxford Road.
I just had a casual chat with someone who asked how my OCD/Anxiety/BPD affected my day to day life at the University and my ability to study - the woman doing it was experienced and was really helpful. I got emailed a copy of my needs assessment report and it was really thorough. I got everything she requested :smile:
Original post by imidorotheah
I just had a casual chat with someone who asked how my OCD/Anxiety/BPD affected my day to day life at the University and my ability to study - the woman doing it was experienced and was really helpful. I got emailed a copy of my needs assessment report and it was really thorough. I got everything she requested :smile:

I'm glad to hear that you have got the items which have been requested on you're behalf. A lot of people have said similar to what you have written down, that the meeting was quite relaxed and very useful. I'm due to set off there in 30 minutes. I had a horrible feeling it was going to be postponed due to the snow, but they have just confirmed that it is on as scheduled.
Reply 13
I'm glad to hear that you have got the items which have been requested on you're behalf. A lot of people have said similar to what you have written down, that the meeting was quite relaxed and very useful. I'm due to set off there in 30 minutes. I had a horrible feeling it was going to be postponed due to the snow, but they have just confirmed that it is on as scheduled.

How did yours go?

I had mine this morning, was quite nice and relaxed :smile:
Original post by Alejandro
How did yours go?

I had mine this morning, was quite nice and relaxed :smile:

Same as you. It was a nice chat about how the DSA can improve my chances of success in Higher Education. I was shown a few pieces of software like mind mapping and the like. I was also recommended for a laptop, scanner, printer, Dictaphone, other forms of software and two hours a week one-to-one tuition. It was great to get some advice and guidance about how they can help us, with disabilities, get the best out of Higher Education.
Reply 15
Same as you. It was a nice chat about how the DSA can improve my chances of success in Higher Education. I was shown a few pieces of software like mind mapping and the like. I was also recommended for a laptop, scanner, printer, Dictaphone, other forms of software and two hours a week one-to-one tuition. It was great to get some advice and guidance about how they can help us, with disabilities, get the best out of Higher Education.

Yeah I agree, very nice people!

Glad yours went good :smile:
Cheers bud. Glad yours went well too :smile:
Reply 17
Ahh reading this really helped me guys thanks for that. I've just recently send mine off and filled it in with my care nurse. Its my first time applying for it but I was unsure what was going to happen after but now I know. Doesn't sound too scary at all. :smile:

I got recommended for the same stuff, from what you've said - the printer is amazing <3
Original post by Zizi11
Ahh reading this really helped me guys thanks for that. I've just recently send mine off and filled it in with my care nurse. Its my first time applying for it but I was unsure what was going to happen after but now I know. Doesn't sound too scary at all. :smile:
It is not scary or awkward at all. I have been very impressed with the way you apply for DSA and get helped through the application. Twelve years ago, you were given some money for a computer and that was it. You did not get an other sort of help for your disability. Thankfully things have changed a lot for the better.

Quick Reply

Latest