Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to invest student loan Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have got a maintenence loan of 2000. However I have not touched this as I have a part time job which just about covers all of my expenditure.
    What would be the best way to invest this to make more from it?
    I have looked at matched betting/arbs can anyone link me to a free website that automates arb betting? If there is one?
    Or any other ways I could make money with it?

ReputationRep:
    Send it to me...I'll double your money

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try the Stock market, although read up on it a lot first and just put down money you can afford to lose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob10170249)
    Hi,
    I have got a maintenence loan of 2000. However I have not touched this as I have a part time job which just about covers all of my expenditure.
    I have looked at matched betting/arbs can anyone link me to a free website that automates arb betting? If there is one?
    Go to Moneysavingexpert for MBing

Otherwise lend it out on zopa, or funding circle, 8% is nothing to laugh at, its like 160 quid a year(pretty much free internet)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Put it into an ISA account and let it rot in case you need it for an emergency?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noma5)
    Put it into an ISA account and let it rot in case you need it for an emergency?
    I have my own savings for that. Its in an ISA but honestly the returns are pathetic. So im looking for something that will make a good bit extra from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dukeofwembley)
    Otherwise lend it out on zopa, or funding circle, 8% is nothing to laugh at, its like 160 quid a year(pretty much free internet)
    How risky are these, i.e. that borrowers default etc?

ReputationRep:
    Do a bit of trading on ebay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Do a bit of trading on ebay.
    any tips?

ReputationRep:
    any tips?
    Only one - sell for more than you buy!

ReputationRep:
    Can't go wrong with prostitutes. Vagina is what helps you survive, my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    put it towards a deposit for a house? or use it to repay your maintenence loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Only one - sell for more than you buy!
    ok then, please dont spam the forum

ReputationRep:
    ok then, please dont spam the forum
    Poke it up your arse sunshine.
    The only one spamming here is you.

ReputationRep:
    Stock market.
    I doubled my money in about two months.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    stocks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrnicholls)
    Stock market.
    I doubled my money in about two months.

how? If you don't mind saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    how? If you don't mind saying.
    Picked the right share and it rocketed!

ReputationRep:
    Generally with investments, the greater the potential returns, the greater the risk of losing it.

If you really want to dabble with stocks and shares, open up a share self select ISA where you can buy and sell your own shares within a tax efficient vehicle i.e. no capital gains. Safer still if you invest in mixed funds such as investment trusts and exchange traded funds that cover multiple companies, markets and countries.

Or if you are entrepreneurial, use it to fund your own website.

If you have older relatives, buy them a few presents; pictures for their lounge, ornaments, music DVD's. All of your older relatives will remember your kindness.

ReputationRep:
    if you dont understand stocks, dont trade. make sure you know your stuff before you end up throwing money away.. also the return for stocks can be disappointing

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.