The Student Room Group

Unsure about chosen sixth form?

There's this college that I'm interested in attending to for my A-Levels, but in their prospectus they mentioned that General Studies and Critical Thinking is compulsory at AS-Level and then Critical Thinking can be dropped as the end of the first year and then replaced with the Extended Project in the second year as this is also compulsory. I'd like to study dentistry in university, and I know that the majority of dental schools don't accept either as A-Levels although I don't think I would be doing them as qualifications. Is it worth studying the two subjects when it is not really needed and excluded from many UK universities? Or should I just go to another sixth form?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by goldenshades
There's this college that I'm interested in attending to for my A-Levels, but in their prospectus they mentioned that General Studies is compulsory at AS-Level which can then be dropped as the end of the first year and then replaced with Critical Thinking in the second year as this is also compulsory. I'd like to study dentistry in university, and I know that the majority of dental schools don't accept either as A-Levels although I don't think I would be doing them as qualifications. Is it worth studying the two subjects when it is not really needed and excluded from many UK universities? Or should I just go to another sixth form?

I go to a college where General Studies is compulsory in the 2nd year. We don't have to attend any lessons for the exam, we just get entered into it and turn up on the day. I wouldn't worry about it, if I'm honest nobody takes those exams that seriously anyway! I wouldn't change your choice just because of that, but it's up to you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CharlieBoardman
I go to a college where General Studies is compulsory in the 2nd year. We don't have to attend any lessons for the exam, we just get entered into it and turn up on the day. I wouldn't worry about it, if I'm honest nobody takes those exams that seriously anyway! I wouldn't change your choice just because of that, but it's up to you :smile:
Thanks, that's made me feel a bit more confident :biggrin:
Reply 3
Anyone else have views of their own?
I go to a sixth form where none of those are compulsory, although at another sixth form I considered General Studies and Critical Thinking were compulsory. According to my friends who go to the other sixth form, General Studies is a pisstake anyway and they basically just turn up to the exam, nobody at all puts any kind of effort in. Critical Thinking is a different kettle of fish, usually people either do really well or not great at all, but universities don't really care all that much so nobody really bothers. EPQ is a pretty nice qualification to have, even if it's just to be all smug about having done your own research and put together a project. It's not necessary from a university point of view but it's interesting and from what I've seen quite enjoyable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Woohay dentistry :biggrin: I have an offer to study dentistry in September. I did AS critical thinking and got a D :tongue: EPQ is worth doing, you can talk about it at your interview and it shows that youre extra interested! xox
Original post by :) emma
Woohay dentistry :biggrin: I have an offer to study dentistry in September. I did AS critical thinking and got a D :tongue: EPQ is worth doing, you can talk about it at your interview and it shows that youre extra interested! xox

I think you quoted the wrong person :wink: but yes, EPQ is definitely worth doing! Good indication of how well you can study independently :redface:
Reply 7
Wow that's great! Just wondering, what uni offered you a place and your A-Level choices? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by goldenshades
Wow that's great! Just wondering, what uni offered you a place and your A-Level choices? :smile:

Plymouth, waiting to hear back from Sheffield. I've had interviews at Leeds, Sheffield, Plymouth, Bristol and Cardiff (Bristol and Cardiff last year). Did Critical thinking and German at AS, Bio, Chem and Maths A Level xox
Reply 9
I think you quoted the wrong person :wink: but yes, EPQ is definitely worth doing! Good indication of how well you can study independently :redface:

Oops yeh :P
Plymouth, waiting to hear back from Sheffield. I've had interviews at Leeds, Sheffield, Plymouth, Bristol and Cardiff (Bristol and Cardiff last year). Did Critical thinking and German at AS, Bio, Chem and Maths A Level xox
Awesome, congrats :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending