Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what else to revise?!
    Ive done duress, intoxication, causation, omissions and going to do attempts for essay question.
    Done a lot on theft, robbery, burglary and offences against the person for question 2
    I have not much idea about dilemma boards, think il look over defences but not sure which one?

Any one know whats most probably come up for each question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A sheesh)
    What was 1 and 2?
    Hi, I've got a copy of the Jan 2013 paper so here are the topics:

Section A: (1) self-defence (2) involuntary manslaughter (3) strict liability

Section B: (4) non-fatal offences and defences (5) murder, attempted murder (causation) and defences (6) offences under the Theft Act 1968

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danjones22)
    I don't know what else to revise?!
    Ive done duress, intoxication, causation, omissions and going to do attempts for essay question.
    Done a lot on theft, robbery, burglary and offences against the person for question 2
    I have not much idea about dilemma boards, think il look over defences but not sure which one?

Any one know whats most probably come up for each question?
    I am doing duress and attempts for part A
    Voluntary manslaughter and OAPA for section B
    insanity and automatism for question C
    I've left revision far too late so I am just having risk only learning 4/7 booklets haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imog)
    Hi, I've got a copy of the Jan 2013 paper so here are the topics:

Section A: (1) self-defence (2) involuntary manslaughter (3) strict liability

Section B: (4) non-fatal offences and defences (5) murder, attempted murder and defences (6) offences under the Theft Act 1968
    Attempts came up in section B? How much was there to be said on it?
    Also, do you have a copy of January's paper on your computer that you could share?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayleLP)
    Attempts came up in section B? How much was there to be said on it?
    Also, do you have a copy of January's paper on your computer that you could share?

Thanks.
    The question is more about causation than the general AO1 of attempts - the scenario was hinting at the case of White (1910..I think) so I think it wants people to talk about factual causation, although it could also be about attempting the impossible...I realise this probably doesn't make much sense without the paper, sorry. I'm pretty sure it's more about causation though, I'll edit my other post.

At the moment I only have a paper copy of the exam but I can e-mail my teacher and ask if he has a digital copy, if he has one I might be able to share it tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imog)

At the moment I only have a paper copy of the exam but I can e-mail my teacher and ask if he has a digital copy, if he has one I might be able to share it tomorrow.
    That'd be brilliant - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have like revision notes and ao2 on duress? I'm really struggling on that

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any advice on how to write the section A essay questions for g153 criminal law, like a structure? Or any A grade examples

ReputationRep:
    Question for people who have the markscheme for Jan 13 (on the insanity+automatism Q3):
    Is the spider on the steering wheel classed as an external cause? Or is it not enough to amount to automatism since the person still has control over their vehicle by swerving? If anyone could quickly type up the markscheme for this statement of whether she was guilty/an automaton I'll be really grateful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mills7)
    Anyone have any advice on how to write the section A essay questions for g153 criminal law, like a structure? Or any A grade examples
    For essay questions we were given this as a structure,

Intro- preliminary judgement. Define the law and state the act or if common law the leading case.
    Describe (A01) - the principles with case examples. Mix in a little A02 as well.
    Analysis (A02)- this will be criticisms and reforms. Its a discussion so points for and against
    Conclude- final judgement and your views

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Think I'm okay to miss out AO2 for consent and self-defence? I probably wouldn't do an essay on either, it's the only AO2 I'm going to be missing out, just want to get non-fatal offences over with.

ReputationRep:
    Structures for each type of answer
    Essay
    Intro-
    preliminary judgement. Define the law and state the act or if common law the leading case.
    Describe (A01) - the principles with case examples. Mix in a little A02 as well.
    Analysis (A02)- this will be criticisms and reforms. Its a discussion so points for and against
    Conclude- final judgement and your views

Problem Question

Intro- is there liability or a potential defence?
    Describe (A01)-what is the law? case examples and principles (just A01, not A02)
    Apply- apply it to the scenario, what is D guilty under? and what defence can be used? No need to mention A02.
    Conclude- Final judgement
    Dilemma boards
    For each question you can really on just 5 bullet points, but written as sentences.
    Identify and Define- if its theft define theft under section 1 of the theft act.
    Apply to scenario- has D fulfilled any part of the law? (eg in theft has D appropriated property?)
    Issues-Identify any problems (eg appropriation isnt always dishonest, shoppers do it everyday)
    Answer- D is/is not liable for....
    Conclude- The statement is therefore true/false

The last 2 bullet points are always the same layout, its the content of the first 3 that changes.
    Hope I help!

ReputationRep:
    im so stressed, i cant remember word to word the definitions. for instance, insanity is ' a defect of reason, from the disease of the mind, where D didnt know the nature and quality of his acts, or did, but didnt know it was wrong'. if i write this, will i still get points? or does it need to be word to word?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping)
    im so stressed, i cant remember word to word the definitions. for instance, insanity is ' a defect of reason, from the disease of the mind, where D didnt know the nature and quality of his acts, or did, but didnt know it was wrong'. if i write this, will i still get points? or does it need to be word to word?
    You'd still get the marks, As long as it looks like you understand the law to the person marking it, there should be no reason why you can't get all the marks. But I try and get it as close to word for word as possible and try and relax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A sheesh)
    Non fatal and theft are my strongest topics so if they're q1 and 2 A here I come hopefully.

ive done all bar murder and involuntary mmanslaughter and only crim liability briefly.

automatism won't be a 50 marker will be q3 if anything so revise basic principles

for murder, did you revise the mens rea of it?

it doesnt seem to go into my head!

ReputationRep:
    You'd still get the marks, As long as it looks like you understand the law to the person marking it, there should be no reason why you can't get all the marks. But I try and get it as close to word for word as possible and try and relax
    thank you for that
    ive left revision too late, when have you started revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping)
    thank you for that
    ive left revision too late, when have you started revising?
    For about a month but been 'hardcore' revising for the past week, done about 8 hours today -_- haha

ReputationRep:
    For about a month but been 'hardcore' revising for the past week, done about 8 hours today -_- haha

ah your so lucky!

im scared i wont be able to identify what content the scenario's are talking about. for example, involuntary, or voluntary, if there will be any.

i cant even put together sentences right now, because im so stressed, hope you will understand what im talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jool)
    Think I'm okay to miss out AO2 for consent and self-defence? I probably wouldn't do an essay on either, it's the only AO2 I'm going to be missing out, just want to get non-fatal offences over with.
    You will be fine to miss out self defence A02, it was an essay in Jan 13, consent is one of my favourites but duress and intoxication is far more likely for an essay.

I'm missing out strict liability (essay for Jan 13), self defence A02, invol manslaughter A02 (Again, an essay in Jan 13) and theft A02. I am not sure about Murder A02 yet, may spend 20 minutes on it at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eihpoms)
    I am doing duress and attempts for part A
    Voluntary manslaughter and OAPA for section B
    insanity and automatism for question C
    I've left revision far too late so I am just having risk only learning 4/7 booklets haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds way too risky! At least do intoxication as well for Q1 as its most likely that or duress. Also you should try to do theft as it may come up in Q2 instead of OAPA. Also what about all of the defences, they usually always come up with OAPA in a scenario?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.