Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebart)
    Hey I'm a bit confused with the case of velumyl in theft. Part of the definition is 'with the intention of permanently depriving' (s.6 theft act) and then in my notes it says that this includes situations where D appropriates property, even if there is an intention to return it - velumyl.

Surely this is contradictory because if they have an intention to return it, there would not be an intention to permanently deprive? Would reaaally appreciate if someone could explain this to me! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

He returned the money. But not the same physical notes, so the actual notes he's permanently deprived them of

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone confident

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help on why Bowen was guilty? Surely if there were petrol bomb threats to his family he should be allowed duress?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A sheesh)
    Can someone help me.
    bowen was not allowed duress when 2 guys threatened to petrol bomb his family.
    he had a low iq and his characteristics were self induced? Why wasn't he allowed duress
    Court of appeal held that having a low iq does not make someone less courageous than someone with a normal IQ. It's a good ao2 point to raise

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a property offence q2? Would really helphelp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    Court of appeal held that having a low iq does not make someone less courageous than someone with a normal IQ. It's a good ao2 point to raise
    But there were threats to his family?

then why was valderama vega allowed it? Waaah

ReputationRep:
    But there were threats to his family?

then why was valderama vega allowed it? Waaah
    Low IQ was not held to be a mental impairment. He was more susceptible to threats and was easily influenced

ReputationRep:
    This discussion is so overwhelming, how's everyone finding revision? I'm still finding it a struggle to memorise the case names :/ but other than that I'm doing alright! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben1695)
    Low IQ was not held to be a mental impairment. He was more susceptible to threats and was easily influenced
    But how was valderama vega more susceptible

ReputationRep:
    Valderrama Vega just highlights that exposure of homosexuality is not serious enough to grant defence of duress, but threats to family and himself were.

As for why bowen was convicted, I'm not too sure, I'm guessing the ordinary reasonable man would not have done as the defendant did.

ReputationRep:
    He was suffering cumulative duress, the fact they would reveal his homosexuality, kill his family and he was under financial pressure whereas there was just one threat in Bowen to petrol bomb his family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    Valderrama Vega just highlights that exposure of homosexuality is not serious enough to grant defence of duress, but threats to family and himself were.

As for why bowen was convicted, I'm not too sure, I'm guessing the ordinary reasonable man would not have done as the defendant did.

Oh ok, I thought that too, but they made threats to petrol bomb his family which to me seems a fair reason to commit the crime. Ah we'll.

if anyone knows pls quote

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me.
    bowen was not allowed duress when 2 guys threatened to petrol bomb his family.
    he had a low iq and his characteristics were self induced? Why wasn't he allowed duress

i never even heard of that case. i think hasan 2005 would be a good case for that instead, the one about the prostitute. (self induced so not allowed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping)
    i never even heard of that case. i think hasan 2005 would be a good case for that instead, the one about the prostitute. (self induced so not allowed)
    Hasan and Valderrama Vega are completely different legal points. The decision in Valderrama Vega is that there has to be threats of death or serious injury. Lesser threats do no provide a defence. However, provided that there are serious threats, then the cumulative effect of the threats as a whole can be considered.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a intoxication essay and duress which they feel is near full marks or high level five I could read please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakeven)
    Thanks so much! (So happy I didn't do that exam!)
    You're welcome
    I agree, it's not the nicest of exams...hopefully that means ours will be nicer? ...Probably not

ReputationRep:
    I feel like my brain is goin to explode. Il be so glad come thursday 11am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie_w)
    Has anyone got a intoxication essay and duress which they feel is near full marks or high level five I could read please
    That is just a duress by threats essay but is 50 marks. You will have to cut it down and add circumstance and necessity
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Duress Essay.docx (18.7 KB, 141 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imog)
    You're welcome
    I agree, it's not the nicest of exams...hopefully that means ours will be nicer? ...Probably not
    Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism I'm praying for an omissions essay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakeven)
    Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism I'm praying for an omissions essay!
    Do you include much else other than all the exceptions e.g voluntary assumption of care, creating a dangerous situation etc? Apart from statutory duties I'm struggling to think what else you'd put in.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.