The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IlDottore
I'm not even mentioning it unless it comes up as Q2 and the scenario forces me to, but thats just because all i was told was it doesn't count and it the whole "can you attempt the factually impossible?" line of thought in attempts. No worries, good luck tomorrow!

It'll probably be the point I remember the second the examiner takes the paper away. :tongue:

Original post by Imog
If I go into the exam hall tomorrow, open my paper, and see these:

Section A - Duress
Section B - NFOs
Section C - Insanity/Automatism

I might actually have a chance of getting an A* :biggrin:

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Agreed with A and B, although I'd opt for something like theft on C. I'm going to go and brush up on manslaughter and insanity/automatism now, I feel those are my weak points. I think Duress and NFOs are both pretty much dream essays. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 921
Original post by Converse Rocker
It'll probably be the point I remember the second the examiner takes the paper away. :tongue:

Agreed with A and B, although I'd opt for something like theft on C. I'm going to go and brush up on manslaughter and insanity/automatism now, I feel those are my weak points. I think Duress and NFOs are both pretty much dream essays. Good luck! :smile:

If we got a non fatal essay do you think they'd ask us for just the offences under OAPA or all five?
Reply 922
Original post by Fward
Whereas I think I would give up before I started - I hate defences , NFOs are ok though.

Similar to my dream paper but causation as q1
Reply 923
Original post by SN3920
If we got a non fatal essay do you think they'd ask us for just the offences under OAPA or all five?

Firstly it unlikely it will come up as an essay as it normally features in problem question and has come up as an essay recently but you will talk about assault battery abh gbh wounding and s.18 and 20 for both
Reply 924
Original post by qr95
Firstly it unlikely it will come up as an essay as it normally features in problem question abd has come up as an essay recently but you will talk about assault battery abh gbh wounding and s.18 and 20 for both

Okay, great thanks!
Reply 925
What will is everyones final predictions!?
Reply 926
hi guys, im asking one more time. during class, we only learned the old law on voluntary manslaughter. if in any case, this appears on the exam, would it be ok, if i just write about the old law, and just state how its changed in croners and justice act 2009? our teacher said she spoke to the chief examiner, and they said we wont be penalized for it. what do you guys think? my brain doesnt take anything else, so theres no point of me going and learning it.

ive left out murder. attepmts, strict liability, and mens rea. so if one of these come up as a question, as opposed to voluntary manslaughter, i have no choice but to answer voluntary.
Reply 927
Worrying how unpopular my ideal paper is! :eek:

Q1 Omissions (possibly causation)
Q2 Property (possibly attempted murder or attempted property offence)
Q3 Not to worried about these as they're my favourite questions to do!

Just want this exam done with!!
Reply 928
Right what does everyone think?
Q1. Duress/causation
Q2. Theft/Loc or DM
Q3. Insanity and automatism?
Reply 929
Original post by amyhelen
Right what does everyone think?
Q1. Duress/causation
Q2. Theft/Loc or DM
Q3. Insanity and automatism?

Q1 and Q3 sound good. But hopefully non fatal on Q2. Insanity and automatism would be great for Q3. However I bet many people will have neglected to revise it after the special study.
Reply 930
Original post by SN3920
Q1 and Q3 sound good. But hopefully non fatal on Q2. Insanity and automatism would be great for Q3. However I bet many people will have neglected to revise it after the special study.

What do you reckon will most likely come up:smile:?
Reply 931
I'm so, so screwed for this. Anyone have an idea on what's likely to come up (just in-case I've neglected a topic that people are almost sure will appear)?

I just can't retain all the topics, so I've got none-fatals, duress, consent, attempts, theft, robbery, burglary, causation and omissions down.
Q1 attempts/causation/duress/
Q2 causation/OAP/Theft/robbery/burglary
Q3 insanity,automatism/OAP/Theft/robbery/burglary

That's all I'm covering before the exam. Will that be too risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 933
with the overwhelming majority of people saying insanity/automatism will come up as q3, im about to start refreshing my memory of it now - how indepth do i need to revise this in?
Reply 934
Original post by amyhelen
What do you reckon will most likely come up:smile:?

It's difficult to predict. I know one of the question ones is usually a defence so I think either duress or intox. Other that that your guess is as good as mine! What do people think about a scenario that only asks what defences the D can use? That has only been done once before I think.
with the overwhelming majority of people saying insanity/automatism will come up as q3, im about to start refreshing my memory of it now - how indepth do i need to revise this in?
I would say the basics for q3. No need for cases :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 935
Confused about Duress, so does the threat have to imminent or immediate?
And what are the possible problems with Duress
Original post by hoping
hi guys, im asking one more time. during class, we only learned the old law on voluntary manslaughter. if in any case, this appears on the exam, would it be ok, if i just write about the old law, and just state how its changed in croners and justice act 2009? our teacher said she spoke to the chief examiner, and they said we wont be penalized for it. what do you guys think? my brain doesnt take anything else, so theres no point of me going and learning it.

ive left out murder. attepmts, strict liability, and mens rea. so if one of these come up as a question, as opposed to voluntary manslaughter, i have no choice but to answer voluntary.

I can tell you feel really distressed about this. I can only tell you that when Voluntary Manslaughter last came up from Section A or B (June 2011, Section B) the mark scheme offered the choice for answering using the Homicide Act 1957 (hence the old definition) or the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 (the new definition). Since this question was two years ago i cannot guarantee that they would give the choice again.
You should also note that for this specific question in that year you also had to discuss Loss of Control but if you mentioned Diminished Responsibilities under the Homicide Act 1957 then you were expected to talk about Provocation instead.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 937
Duress need be immediate but not imminent - Hudson and Taylor. And not available to murder. Does not make concessions to human frailty. Low iq can't be taken into account nor age (Bowen and Wilson) mandatory life sentence so no discretion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coolmimz
Confused about Duress, so does the threat have to imminent or immediate?
And what are the possible problems with Duress

Immediate in that you don't have time to go to the police.

Duress isn't available for murder is the biggest problem. Mandatory life sentence. Vulnerable people like Gotts and Wilson who were forced into attempting/committing murder cannot use defence. Unfair.
Also, not available for anyone who voluntarily associates with criminal. Not fair on vulnerable people forced into crime e.g. women forced into prostitution
Reply 939
By the way, what does everyone mean by Question 1, 2 and 3? I know there's an essay, problem Q and dilemma Q, which one is 1, 2 and 3?

Also, do we get a choice in what to answer? Thank-you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest