Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolmimz)
    Confused about Duress, so does the threat have to imminent or immediate?
    And what are the possible problems with Duress
    current state of law is with hasan which states it must be 'near immediate' - however you would talk about hudson/taylor and abdul hussain developments for possible a01/a02 marks

biggest problem -
    the fact it isnt avaliable to murder / reforms by law commision have repeatedly championed for the change
    the seeking police protection bit which has been brought into disrepute by hasan once again
    duress of circumstances and necessity have been blurred into one (shayler)

ReputationRep:
    Also, a lot of people seem to be bringing up insanity and automatism - I totally skipped that out as it was on the special study. Is that likely to come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curtisblackham)
    Q1 attempts/causation/duress/
    Q2 causation/OAP/Theft/robbery/burglary
    Q3 insanity,automatism/OAP/Theft/robbery/burglary

That's all I'm covering before the exam. Will that be too risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're taking a risk but those topics were all recommended by my teacher as likely to come up. As far as risks go it's not the biggest.
    Only problem is if we get a curve ball in one of the essays :/
    Tbh though those topics are where I've focused the main of my revision. I'd have a look over attempted crimes and intoxication if I were you. Not loads, just have a glance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carehow)
    Also, a lot of people seem to be bringing up insanity and automatism - I totally skipped that out as it was on the special study. Is that likely to come up?
    Could come up on dilemma boards/problem Q

Ya don't need to know the detail. Just be able to recognise it, know how it's used and the main cases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfhurley)
    Could come up on dilemma boards/problem Q

Ya don't need to know the detail. Just be able to recognise it, know how it's used and the main cases
    Thank you so much. I know that, I just need to give it a quick look over to remind myself - I am SO glad I found this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have been alerted to this.

ReputationRep:
    You're taking a risk but those topics were all recommended by my teacher as likely to come up. As far as risks go it's not the biggest.
    Only problem is if we get a curve ball in one of the essays :/
    Tbh though those topics are where I've focused the main of my revision. I'd have a look over attempted crimes and intoxication if I were you. Not loads, just have a glance
    Thanks I'm hoping this will be enough for 60/120 UMS so I should be okay fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIO14)
    with the overwhelming majority of people saying insanity/automatism will come up as q3, im about to start refreshing my memory of it now - how indepth do i need to revise this in?
    Insanity example
    Accurate or inaccurate
    Disease of mind?
    Is it internal?
    Does it cause defect of reason?....affects memory reasoning understanding
    Does the d know the nature and quality and what they are doing is legally wrong?
    Conclude

Remember to apply these questions to the scenario as these are AO2 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaf)
    Duress need be immediate but not imminent - Hudson and Taylor. And not available to murder. Does not make concessions to human frailty. Low iq can't be taken into account nor age (Bowen and Wilson) mandatory life sentence so no discretion

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Duress needs to be imminent not immediate (Abdul-Hussain 1999)

ReputationRep:
    By the way, what does everyone mean by Question 1, 2 and 3? I know there's an essay, problem Q and dilemma Q, which one is 1, 2 and 3?

Also, do we get a choice in what to answer? Thank-you!

Q1 – Essay – Choice of 3
    Q2 – Scenario – Choice of 3
    Q3 – Dilemma – Choice of 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SN3920)
    Q1 – Essay – Choice of 3
    Q2 – Scenario – Choice of 3
    Q3 – Dilemma – Choice of 2
    Thank-you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Also, how many people have revised voluntary manslaughter and intoxication? They're not a topics I've really revised, but if it's likely to come up I can refresh myself. (Sorry for all the questions, and many thank-you to those who've answered them!)

ReputationRep:
    Immediate in that you don't have time to go to the police.

Duress isn't available for murder is the biggest problem. Mandatory life sentence. Vulnerable people like Gotts and Wilson who were forced into attempting/committing murder cannot use defence. Unfair.
    Also, not available for anyone who voluntarily associates with criminal. Not fair on vulnerable people forced into crime e.g. women forced into prostitution
    Ok, thanks. Immediate so there is no avenue of escape?

ReputationRep:
    Also, how many people have revised voluntary manslaughter and intoxication? They're not a topics I've really revised, but if it's likely to come up I can refresh myself. (Sorry for all the questions, and many thank-you to those who've answered them!)
    I've not revised vol. manslaughter because I hate it (I know that's not a good enough reason but oh well haha!) I've done intoxication as I'm thinking it could come up as an essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIO14)
    current state of law is with hasan which states it must be 'near immediate' - however you would talk about hudson/taylor and abdul hussain developments for possible a01/a02 marks

biggest problem -
    the fact it isnt avaliable to murder / reforms by law commision have repeatedly championed for the change
    the seeking police protection bit which has been brought into disrepute by hasan once again
    duress of circumstances and necessity have been blurred into one (shayler)
    Alright thank you
    Confused about duress of circumstances and necessity. So did Duress of Circumstances derived from Necessity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolmimz)
    Alright thank you
    Confused about duress of circumstances and necessity. So did Duress of Circumstances derived from Necessity?
    Yes, DOC was developed from the lack of availability of necessity

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone recommend writing a plan for the 50 markers? Or is the time constraint such that it would be a waste of valuable essay writing time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SN3920)
    Yes, DOC was developed from the lack of availability of necessity
    Thanks Struggling with Duress..

ReputationRep:
    Anyway got an Essay on Duress or notes they wouldn't mind me having a look at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAhmed95)
    Would anyone recommend writing a plan for the 50 markers? Or is the time constraint such that it would be a waste of valuable essay writing time?
    I would write a 2 min plan personally with just case names

ReputationRep:
    Literally forgotten the names to ALL of the cases, **** me I'm bricking this.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.