Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evolutionism)
    I can tell you feel really distressed about this. I can only tell you that when Voluntary Manslaughter last came up from Section A or B (June 2011, Section B) the mark scheme offered the choice for answering using the Homicide Act 1957 (hence the old definition) or the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 (the new definition). Since this question was two years ago i cannot guarantee that they would give the choice again.
    You should also note that for this specific question in that year you also had to discuss Loss of Control but if you mentioned Diminished Responsibilities under the Homicide Act 1957 then you were expected to talk about Provocation instead.
    thank you, i guess i need to take the risk:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    Literally forgotten the names to ALL of the cases, **** me I'm bricking this.
    Can't do much to help, but just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat and I'm SO nervous. I revised literally the whole thing, thought I'd retained it, retained none of it, so for the past day or so I've been revising like a headless chicken and only on certain topics. Not gonna like going into the exam tomorrow knowing I have blind spots that I'm screwed if questioned on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    Literally forgotten the names to ALL of the cases, **** me I'm bricking this.
    If you're really struggling describe the case or call it something recognisable e.g Pittwood, the gatekeeper case. That's what I'd do

ReputationRep:
    for duress - what a02 points would people write in regards to the Graham test? the subjective element can be talked about in regards to bowen but is there anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SN3920)
    If you're really struggling describe the case or call it something recognisable e.g Pittwood, the gatekeeper case. That's what I'd do
    Oh, yeah - and I've found visualization helps. Like, find a really strong image to attribute that case to. I can't really give examples of my own as a lot of them are innapropriate to write down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qr95)
    Insanity example
    Accurate or inaccurate
    Disease of mind?
    Is it internal?
    Does it cause defect of reason?....affects memory reasoning understanding
    Does the d know the nature and quality and what they are doing is legally wrong?
    Conclude

Remember to apply these questions to the scenario as these are AO2 marks
    this is perfect thank you mate! any chance you or someone could write us a similar list for an automatism 5 marker!

ReputationRep:
    Martin- wasn't allowed his personality disorder to be a reason for him to fear immediate serious violence or death which is bad as surely he is more easily influenced to do things because of this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, how important is robbery and burglary? My teacher said they're really important to revise but it doesn't seem like many people have them revised (or maybe I've misread).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping)
    thank you, i guess i need to take the risk:/
    Honestly I think that your law teacher and the chief examiner are going to be more reliable sources than anyone on here. Don't panic too much about this as the night before the exam is definitely the wrong time to start re learning a topic (especially one with a long definition and medical knowledge!) trust what they have told you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carehow)
    Also, how important is robbery and burglary? My teacher said they're really important to revise but it doesn't seem like many people have them revised (or maybe I've misread).
    I thought everyone seemed to revise Robbery and Burglary
    Personally i hate these topics so i revised Murder, Voluntary Manslaughter, Involuntary Manslaughter and Non-fatal Offences in their place. Apart from those, Omissions, Causation, Attempts, Duress, Intoxication, Insanity/Automatism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SN3920)
    If we got a non fatal essay do you think they'd ask us for just the offences under OAPA or all five?
    (Original post by qr95)
    you will talk about assault battery abh gbh wounding and s.18 and 20 for both
    The only thing to watch out for is if the question specifically says something like '...crimes under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861'. If the question simply refers to non fatal offences though, go wild.

ReputationRep:
    If only this exam was in the afternoon...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought everyone seemed to revise Robbery and Burglary
    Personally i hate these topics so i revised Murder, Voluntary Manslaughter, Involuntary Manslaughter and Non-fatal Offences in their place. Apart from those, Omissions, Causation, Attempts, Duress, Intoxication, Insanity/Automatism.
    For insanity/automatism, is this level of detail sufficient? Considering they will could only be in the 5 markers...

Insanity:

1) Defect of reason
    2) Caused by a disease of the mind
    3) So that deft did not know nature and quality of his acts or that it was legally wrong
    Must be an internal cause

Automatism:

"An act done by the muscles without any control by the mind"
    Must be an external cause e.g blow to the head
    Self induced automatism only a defence for specific intent crimes

Anything else?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys!

All I wanted to say really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsenalWenger)
    If only this exam was in the afternoon...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Getting up tomorrow is going to be a real struggle - I hate early mornings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    For insanity/automatism, is this level of detail sufficient? Considering they will could only be in the 5 markers...

Insanity:

1) Defect of reason
    2) Caused by a disease of the mind
    3) So that deft did not know nature and quality of his acts or that it was legally wrong
    Must be an internal cause

Automatism:

"An act done by the muscles without any control by the mind"
    Must be an external cause e.g blow to the head
    Self induced automatism only a defence for specific intent crimes

Anything else?
    I'm not really great at Section C questions but it seems fine. Though you must never forget to say whether the statement is accurate or not!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really great at Section C questions but it seems fine. Though you must never forget to say whether the statement is accurate or not!
    Oh yeah pal, I was just checking I wasn't missing anything blatantly obvious or important. Ta!

Just don't over complicate Section C. I've managed 20 marks just from very simple bullet points. Just make sure you read whether the statement is 'WILL be guilty of' or 'WILL NOT be guilty of'.

They often have a couple using 'will be' and then one or two that are 'will not be'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke070)
    Good luck guys!

All I wanted to say really.
    You too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIO14)
    this is perfect thank you mate! any chance you or someone could write us a similar list for an automatism 5 marker!
    Automatism
    Accurate/inaccurate
    Was it Involuntary action? (reflex/spasm)
    Was it caused by external factor?
    Did the D lose control?
    (Sneezing/swarn of bees)
    Was it self induced?
    Was the D reckless?
    Full acquittal / or no defence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A broken nose would be GBH, right? Sometimes I've doubted myself in exams with stuff like this.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.