Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why do good relationships go badly wrong? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why relationships which have been exciting, passionate, caring etc. more often than not degenerate in to acrimony. Doesn't seem right and I think there should be a rule that you must remain friends with anyone who's private parts you have seen and with whom you have shared good times..

ReputationRep:
    Love and Hate are pretty close together, brah. Pretty close.

ReputationRep:
    - People fall out of love
    - People fake their feelings to get what they want (companionship or sex)
    - People change and grow up
    - People meet someone they like more
    - Other circumstances (moving away etc.)

Under no circumstances would I recommend anyone to remain friends with an ex. Usually these "friendships" are either one-sided or imbalanced (one will have more feelings left than the other). Almost always will they prevent one or both from completely moving on, or at the very least slow down the process.

Or you can read this:
    http://www.therulesrevisited.com/201...t-friends.html

ReputationRep:
    what if you were very good friends beforehand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    - People fall out of love
    - People fake their feelings to get what they want (companionship or sex)
    - People change and grow up
    - People meet someone they like more
    - Other circumstances (moving away etc.)

Under no circumstances would I recommend anyone to remain friends with an ex. Usually these "friendships" are either one-sided or imbalanced (one will have more feelings left than the other). Almost always will they prevent one or both from completely moving on, or at the very least slow down the process.

Or you can read this:
    http://www.therulesrevisited.com/201...t-friends.html
    Probably mostly good advice, but a shame. Have seen just a couple of balanced post break up friendship.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people just be friends?! Seriously, if you are friends with a boy and you go out with them under the age of eighteen,you're obviously not gonna marry em so you are just turning your friendship to crapola

Madzilintronzillamantramaniac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Probably mostly good advice, but a shame. Have seen just a couple of balanced post break up friendship.
    Yeah well, there are a lot of people on the planet, and it is just as normal to fall out with childhood friends. Friendships with exes do more harm than good - you have (hopefully) other close (male) friends and eventually you'll meet a new partner too, and it won't matter. Most likely you're just still hurt/have lingering feelings, but that will pass. You just have to rid the idea of friendship with your ex entirely, and not consider it missing out. A "friendship" is no solution to the heartache - it makes it worse.

ReputationRep:
    I hope your exadurating saying it should be a rule or even expected. whether a couple become friends after breaking up is a very personal decision/process and saying that all people should or noone should is just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I would want to have remaind friends with some of the people who's private parts I have seen...

People change. Some people come to the end of the honeymoon stage and struggle to settle into the relationship - you see that a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Because people change all the time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    I can't say I would want to have remaind friends with some of the people who's private parts I have seen...

People change. Some people come to the end of the honeymoon stage and struggle to settle into the relationship - you see that a lot.
    Guess I agree. Mind you, people that have seen ones private parts tend to be a select club, so deserve a place in some form of hall of fame..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Guess I agree. Mind you, people that have seen ones private parts tend to be a select club, so deserve a place in some form of hall of fame..
    If seeing my ex's privates puts me in some kind of hall of fame I dread to think who's in the hall of shame.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.