Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Friends with Benefits.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does the whole friends with benefits thing actually work? Basically I've just split up with a girl who I was with for a couple of years, reason being I'm off travelling to either Canada or Australia next year and I figured it was best to just end it now.

So in an ideal world, from now until when I go next year I'd like to just meet some girls, hang out a bit and obviously do the whole benefits thing now and again. Is it actually possible to do this though without the girls wanting more? Or should I just come clean to start with and say what I'm after?

Surely someone on here has got some sort of experience of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.M.182)
    Does the whole friends with benefits thing actually work? Basically I've just split up with a girl who I was with for a couple of years, reason being I'm off travelling to either Canada or Australia next year and I figured it was best to just end it now.

So in an ideal world, from now until when I go next year I'd like to just meet some girls, hang out a bit and obviously do the whole benefits thing now and again. Is it actually possible to do this though without the girls wanting more? Or should I just come clean to start with and say what I'm after?

Surely someone on here has got some sort of experience of this?
    As a girl I would say it doesn't work. I used to think it could then I tried it and the poor guy is still stuck with me a year down the line lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by professortobe)
    As a girl I would say it doesn't work. I used to think it could then I tried it and the poor guy is still stuck with me a year down the line lol
    Haha, well at least you managed to get a relationship out of it though.

I'm texting this one girl now, she wants to meet up and go out for drinks etc, but I'm really not interested in the whole going out on dates stuff. She's a good looking girl, but should I just state my intentions now? Or just avoid going out on dates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.M.182)
    Haha, well at least you managed to get a relationship out of it though.

I'm texting this one girl now, she wants to meet up and go out for drinks etc, but I'm really not interested in the whole going out on dates stuff. She's a good looking girl, but should I just state my intentions now? Or just avoid going out on dates?
    That depends, if you go out on a date you may end up getting what you want out of it. However if you want to avoid a situation where you have slept with someone and they want more and you don't it may be best to explain from the start that you are basically just after something casual and uncommitted. If she then wants to be in a relationship at least you warned her from the start.I would avoid saying you are after fwb as that is generally off putting to most girls. Good luck

i have a lot of friends where i would like to exercise this!

ReputationRep:
    ive a lot of friends where i would like to exercise the whole 'friends with benefits' thing

ReputationRep:
    I would say state your intentions from the beginning. I was FWB with a guy who never really made his intentions clear to me, even when I asked him straight up and it ended in quite a lot of hurt for me. If he'd have been straight from the beginning I wouldn't have slept with him in the first place, BUT that's me from the point of view of someone who was looking for a relationship. There are plenty of girls out there up for FWB, but if you don't state your intentions I can guarantee it will come back to bite you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl and don't mind friends with benefits, however this doesn't mean sex once or twice, it means a kind of relationship but without the label/rules. I know most girls would agree with this, so if you make it clear you don't want a relationship but don't rush the sex, they're more likely to know you'll stick around even if it is casual. Don't do the thing where guys try really hard to sleep with you then lose interest after, it's mean!

ReputationRep:
    It depends, it can work and sometimes it doesn't.

I've had/have one situation that is working for me with an ex. Both parties have got to know what's going on, and keep it at that level. But have only had this one FWB experience, so I couldn't really comment on any other way of starting it or making it work.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a FWB relationship for about 3 months, it doesn't really work, I think it takes an incredibly thick skinned person not to become very fond of someone you sleep with regularly.

ReputationRep:
    I hate how 'FWB' is the latest trend. Its sending a poor message to the kids these days. They never work without someone getting hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Best thing will be to state what you want from the beginning tbh. Make sure she's not fresh out of a relationship too, as she'll probably use you for a fall back guy.
    Never spend too much time together either. Just the "benefits" and that's all. As I said it should be clearly stated that it's nothing more than FWB.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.