Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I love the idea of helping others and I think I can get my point across. And I want to because I love my subject a lot: Maths. I want to do it as a middle aged person though, I'll probably change my mind when I graduate though :lol:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJoshwha)
    Actual lesson time is less than 25 hours a week, surely. So the spare time spent there can be spent on marking, to reduce time on marking over weekend.

Obviously essay subjects ad science subjects would have different hours amounts. Maths teachers are paid the most (allegedly) for secondary teachers, and do barely any hours a week! Even my old teachers admit that they do not do that much in extra time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Marking adds up to a phenomenal amount of work, some subjects more than others. Plus there's planning, meetings, catch up sessions, interventions, CPD, marking coursework. The list goes on and on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    I wish the money was good enough to be in it only for the money!

I don't understand why this has been negged!

ReputationRep:
    Marking adds up to a phenomenal amount of work, some subjects more than others. Plus there's planning, meetings, catch up sessions, interventions, CPD, marking coursework. The list goes on and on.

I've not worked out how to plan one lesson that includes all the 'must do's' in less than a couple of hours Hoping it gets a little easier now that I see the same class more often.

Surely if kids start at 9 and finish at 3 there can't possibly any more work for teachers to do outside of those hours?? :rolleyes:

I don't think you can know any job until you've done it tbf. But there's no poiont this thread turning into a 'what teachers do and don't do'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I don't think you can know any job until you've done it tbf
    Was this aimed directly at me or just a general comment?

ReputationRep:
    Was this aimed directly at me or just a general comment?

General, given how this thread is going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    General, given how this thread is going
    Fair enough. I agree. Far too many assume what teaching is like based on their experiences as a pupil.

ReputationRep:
    I think I want to be a teacher, I really enjoy my course, I enjoy teaching and helping others and I think it's a stable job. I think I'd rather be a lecturer but go into teaching first then consider a masters and a PhD (If I'm good enough in the first place). I know I couldn't be a teacher until I retire but I don't see that as a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    I think I want to be a teacher, I really enjoy my course, I enjoy teaching and helping others and I think it's a stable job. I think I'd rather be a lecturer but go into teaching first then consider a masters and a PhD (If I'm good enough in the first place). I know I couldn't be a teacher until I retire but I don't see that as a bad thing.
    That's precisely what I would like to do. I graduated last year and everyone asked 'why don't you do a masters?' I reply later on in life after I've done a bit of teaching, travelled and lived abroad, assuming that I live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why this has been negged!
    Don't worry I've given you some positive rep somewhere since you are one of the few people talking sense in here (clearly actually have experience of teaching).

So much ignorance in this thread about teaching. Can I clear some things up:

1. No-one...I mean no-one becomes a teacher "just for the money". Anyone who says that will either...
    a) quit not long into their training year
    b) not pass their training year
    c) realise that teaching is what they love because of reasons other than money, and stay as a teacher

2. Yes the holidays are nice but who said "good working hours"?!?!? Ha! I'm on my Easter holidays now and over the Easter weekend (Sat, Sun, Mon) I spent those days marking GCSE coursework. I'm now planning GCSE lessons and next week I need to plan KS3 lessons. Whilst in term time, I work 7.30am - 7pm (ooh except Fridays where I leave at 6pm). Some days I don't really get "a break" as you have detentions, catch up sessions, revision sessions, meetings etc. And yes I work many weekends.
    Anyone who has teacher friends who do things during the weekends means that they must work very long hours during the week and work in an excellent school; the majority of schools are not this good!

3. Read recent news stories. Teachers work more unpaid overtime than any other profession (including nursing) (http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6322154). Suicide rates for teachers are 30-40% higher than the national average (http://www.channel4.com/news/teacher...uble-in-a-year) ...it's NOT an easy job yet people seem to think that all we do is complain?

We're not looking for sympathy, but seriously do some research before you spout stuff like "oh you get loads of holidays and good working hours" :rolleyes: It's quite insulting for people in a profession which is regularly degraded by the government, Ofsted, and (various parts of) the media.

Sorry for the rant!

I got into teaching because I love being able to help teenagers develop from bright eyed little Year 7s with not much knowledge of the world into more mature young adults with a good understanding of issues in the world (I'm a geography teacher)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Don't worry I've given you some positive rep somewhere since you are one of the few people talking sense in here (clearly actually have experience of teaching).

1. No-one...I mean no-one becomes a teacher "just for the money". Anyone who says that will either...
    c) realise that teaching is what they love because of reasons other than money, and stay as a teacher

2. Yes the holidays are nice but who said "good working hours"?!?!? Ha! I'm on my Easter holidays now and over the Easter weekend (Sat, Sun, Mon) I spent those days marking GCSE coursework. I'm now planning GCSE lessons and next week I need to plan KS3 lessons. Whilst in term time, I work 7.30am - 7pm (ooh except Fridays where I leave at 6pm). Some days I don't really get "a break" as you have detentions, catch up sessions, revision sessions, meetings etc. And yes I work many weekends.
    Anyone who has teacher friends who do things during the weekends means that they must work very long hours during the week and work in an excellent school; the majority of schools are not this good!

3. Read recent news stories. Teachers work more unpaid overtime than any other profession (including nursing) (http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6322154). Suicide rates for teachers are 30-40% higher than the national average (http://www.channel4.com/news/teacher...uble-in-a-year) ...it's NOT an easy job yet people seem to think that all we do is complain?

We're not looking for sympathy, but seriously do some research before you spout stuff like "oh you get loads of holidays and good working hours" :rolleyes: It's quite insulting for people in a profession which is regularly degraded by the government, Ofsted, and (various parts of) the media.

Sorry for the rant!

I got into teaching because I love being able to help teenagers develop from bright eyed little Year 7s with not much knowledge of the world into more mature young adults with a good understanding of issues in the world (I'm a geography teacher)
    I agree with everything you have said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)

Sorry for the rant!

Hear hear! I'm trying to convince my current employer that teaching isn't a holiday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.