Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me123456789)
    So would I use

s = 1/2(u+v)t

where t=2.7, s=35.7 (my answer to part b) and u=0 ?
    I'm not really sure where you got t=2.7 or s=35.7 from?

solving vertically: u=0 a=3 (from part b) and t=0.9 so now you can find v for vertical component of v

solving horizontally: u=0.52 a=0 and t=0.9 so you can find v for horizontal motion.

Then use Pythagros to find resultant of two velocities to find speed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username_valid)
    I'm not really sure where you got t=2.7 or s=35.7 from?

solving vertically: u=0 a=3 (from part b) and t=0.9 so now you can find v for vertical component of v

solving horizontally: u=0.52 a=0 and t=0.9 so you can find v for horizontal motion.

Then use Pythagros to find resultant of two velocities to find speed
    Oh no sorry, I'm talking about part c of the question in the attached image?
    Name:  2013-03-20 22.17.08.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  266.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Oh no sorry, I'm talking about part c of the question in the attached image?
    Name:  2013-03-20 22.17.08.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  266.8 KB
    Oh right sorry, in that case yes I think you're right. But then you need to find the resultant of that answer and you're answer from part a to find the speed

ReputationRep:
    Oh right sorry, in that case yes I think you're right. But then you need to find the resultant of that answer and you're answer from part a to find the speed
    For part a my answer is 21.5 ms and for part b it is 35.7 m, knowing that t=2.7 what would be the simplest equation for me to use?

ReputationRep:
    For part a my answer is 21.5 ms and for part b it is 35.7 m, knowing that t=2.7 what would be the simplest equation for me to use?
    What you said previously was correct:

So would I use

s = 1/2(u+v)t

where t=2.7, s=35.7 (my answer to part b) and u=0 ?
    Solving vertically a=9.8 m.s^-2 so you could of also used v=u+at to give you v=0+ 9.8*2.7 and this would give you the same answer as above.

This gives you the vertical component of v. For the horizontal component you could simply use your answer from part a (21.48m.s^-1) because a=0 so applying the formula v=u+at you yould get V=21.48 + (0*2.7).

So now you have the final velocity for the vertical and horizontal components which is sides a and b on the image Name:  pythagoras-theorem.gif
Views: 26
Size:  1.8 KB

To find speed, you have to find the resultant of the two components, so find side c. Quote me for any more help and is this for M1?

ReputationRep:
    What you said previously was correct:

Solving vertically a=9.8 m.s^-2 so you could of also used v=u+at to give you v=0+ 9.8*2.7 and this would give you the same answer as above.

This gives you the vertical component of v. For the horizontal component you could simply use your answer from part a (21.48m.s^-1) because a=0 so applying the formula v=u+at you yould get V=21.48 + (0*2.7).

So now you have the final velocity for the vertical and horizontal components which is sides a and b on the image Name:  pythagoras-theorem.gif
Views: 26
Size:  1.8 KB

To find speed, you have to find the resultant of the two components, so find side c. Quote me for any more help and is this for M1?
    Thank you!

No, it's unit 2 physics.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

No, it's unit 2 physics.
    Ah OK, no problem. All the best

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.