Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Will Torres get his form back? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    Total ****ing nonsense. He was still circa 1 in 2 before we sold him playing under a desolete liverpool squad and roy ****ing hodgson

No one foresaw the drop in his form. When we sold him he was still the best striker in the world.
    You must be joking mate. I distinctly remember Torres being absolute garbage in the 2010 world cup, and I mean terrible. In his last half season at LFC he managed 9 goals in 23 games, and having a look at the tail end of 2009/10, he managed just 6 after xmas.

Give it a rest, Torres was never even close to being the best striker in the world. I could name at least 5 others who were in front of him at any given stage. You should be chuffed to have robbed Chelsea for £50m for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    Total ****ing nonsense. He was still circa 1 in 2 before we sold him playing under a desolete liverpool squad and roy ****ing hodgson

No one foresaw the drop in his form. When we sold him he was still the best striker in the world.
    You seem to have a short memory, he was dire in that half a season under Woy and scored about 5 goals by Christmas. He only had a little flourish under Dalglish. He was nowhere near the best striker in the world in 2010/early 2011.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    You must be joking mate. I distinctly remember Torres being absolute garbage in the 2010 world cup, and I mean terrible. In his last half season at LFC he managed 9 goals in 23 games, and having a look at the tail end of 2009/10, he managed just 6 after xmas.

Give it a rest, Torres was never even close to being the best striker in the world. I could name at least 5 others who were in front of him at any given stage. You should be chuffed to have robbed Chelsea for £50m for him.
    Torres was damn close in 07/08.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Torres doesn't play Chelsea's football, and vice-versa.
    Torres was Liverpool's star player, so they built the squad to his advantage.
    Putting down the red shirt was arguably the biggest mistake of his career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    he's still a quality player and a good finisher. he showed that in the euros and in glimpses this season. he's lost his pace forever though, so no, he will never reach the level he was at in his time at liverpool. he is capable of more than what he's doing now. i also think he should be starting ahead of demba ba when fit.

ReputationRep:
    Torres when he first played in Liverpool was best striker in the world. Bar none if you say you could name 5 better then 07/08 Torres your spouting ****.

He will never get that form back again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a dip in form for Torres, it's a steady decline of ability.

In his last season at Liverpool he was showing signs of decline (that's not to say I wanted him to leave!) but we did well to get 50 million for him... although we went on to waste that money.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, no, Torres has gone into a permanent slump from which he will never arise.

It was really funny, I remember when he scored his first goal for Chelsea after such a long time and so many people were saying things like he's going to start scoring regularly now, the floodgates have opened, he's going to get his form back, etc.

Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Torres when he first played in Liverpool was best striker in the world. Bar none if you say you could name 5 better then 07/08 Torres your spouting ****.

He will never get that form back again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Adebayor scored exactly the same number of goals as Torres in 2007/08...

And if Adebayor was in the same bracket, how do you think Eto'o, Henry, David Villa, Ibrahimović, Rooney would compare for starters?

ReputationRep:

And if Adebayor was in the same bracket, how do you think Eto'o, Henry, David Villa, Ibrahimović, Rooney would compare for starters?
    Adebayor wasnt in the same bracket, Torres showed up in nearly all the big games whereas Adebayor is a choker who needs a dozen chances to finish one. And he scored 3 less in 2 more games in a better team.

And Rooney, Ibra, Henry and Eto'o werent as good as him in 07/08, Villa is debatable.

ReputationRep:
    Lol adebayor all I need to say...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Adebayor better than Torres at his peak...just no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Adebayor better than Torres at his peak...just no.
    not the point i was making.

Torres at his best couldnt even outscore Adebayor. And its not like Torres all round play made him best of the world is it?

So how does he end up being labelled best in the world? load of cobblers.

ReputationRep:
    not the point i was making.

Torres at his best couldnt even outscore Adebayor. And its not like Torres all round play made him best of the world is it?

So how does he end up being labelled best in the world? load of cobblers.
    Goals is obviously the most important factor when comparing strikers but there's definitely other factors. His all round play definitely factored into it, he made the entire team play better, especially Gerrard. Him and Gerrard were unstoppable between 07-09. The quality of the goals he scored. Who he scored them against. When he scored them (i.e. winners). Just by watching them both play in that season I'd find it hard to believe that many people would say Adebayor was better or on par.

If I was being pedantic I'd say that Torres got 33 in 46 appearances that season and Adebayor got 30 in 48, so yeah.

ReputationRep:

Then how do you explain him being voted into the Uefa team of the year in 2008 which is voted for by over 4 million people? But no, you know better than all them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Form :lol: this is his form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    No he hasn't. 3 years of being bad. 4 great years at Liverpool. 5 good years at Atletico.
    If we say that:
    A) at Atletico he was 'only' a promising player, waiting to make the step up to prove himself as exceptional, and...
    B) fitness issues around the 2010 World Cup marked the turning point in his career

Then we can summarise his career as:
    1) showing promise at Atletico, but with a sense he was still a bit unproven
    2) 3 exceptional seasons at Liverpool (07-08, 08-09 and 09-10)
    3) 3 atrocious seasons (10-11, 11-12 and the current one)

So I don't think it's unfair to say 3 exceptional seasons and 3 atrocious ones. 'Atrocious' is probably too strong a word to describe his half season (10-11) at Liverpool, but it's closer to the truth that 'great', because at least from what I remember he was a shadow of his former self. And regardless the 2nd half of 10-11 after the Chelsea move was atrocious by pretty much any definition.

ReputationRep:
    Holy **** adebayor's name is being mentioned ****ing hell :lol: I know he did well at the time but he just makes me laugh. So swag it's unbelievable.

Ibra, villa, henry hadn't declined yet, drogba and then I'd put torres in. Great player but there were better or arguably better strikers.

Oh and it's hard to say that liverpool were better than arsenal at the time, in fact I remember the next year liverpool coming 2nd and the year before liverpool coming above arsenal so they were similar strength teams. Add to that liverpool got to a CL semi final in 07/08 and arsenal didn't. Adebayor obviously isn't better but he did do well that season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Then how do you explain him being voted into the Uefa team of the year in 2008 which is voted for by over 4 million people? But no, you know better than all them :rolleyes:
    Well tbh aren't they the same people who think that marcelo is a better full back than ashley cole or phillipe lahm. Or that dani alves is better than phillip lahm. Or pique is better than chiellini?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, some of you guys have really short memories.

Between 2007 and 2009, the only strikers I'd say that were on Torres' level was Villa and Eto'o. Ibrahimovic lacked the big match performances (outside of his own domestic league, mind you), while Torres was tearing it up in the Champions League, Euros and domestically. Drogba had a relatively poor 2008/2009, while Rooney wasn't a standout because he wasn't the star of the Man Utd side from that time. Henry wasn't even close to Torres, I'm stunned that he has come up.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.