Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Will Torres get his form back? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    You must be joking mate. I distinctly remember Torres being absolute garbage in the 2010 world cup, and I mean terrible. In his last half season at LFC he managed 9 goals in 23 games, and having a look at the tail end of 2009/10, he managed just 6 after xmas.

Give it a rest, Torres was never even close to being the best striker in the world. I could name at least 5 others who were in front of him at any given stage. You should be chuffed to have robbed Chelsea for £50m for him.
    You're entitled to your opinion and all but are you trolling? Torres imo was the best striker in the world between 07 and 09. Of course, David Villa was not far behind. But no other striker came close to Torres. Not only did he score important goals but many of his goals were world class. He could score goals out of nothing. His ball control was generally good, his dribbling was generally good, his pace was insane, he was good at heading, he could finish from close range or smash it into the back of the net from long range. He was nearly everything you wanted in a striker.

I'm not saying you have to agree that Torres was the best striker in the world between 07 and 09 but to claim that he was nowhere near being the best striker in the world makes me suspect you're trolling or trying to be a WUM.

I almost cry when I think of Torres at his peak and see the donkey he is today. I've been a fan of him since he was at A.Madrid. His decline has been very depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Well tbh aren't they the same people who think that marcelo is a better full back than ashley cole or phillipe lahm. Or that dani alves is better than phillip lahm. Or pique is better than chiellini?
    Well yeah, there's a massive spanish club bias, but that doesn't include Torres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    You're entitled to your opinion and all but are you trolling? Torres imo was the best striker in the world between 07 and 09. Of course, David Villa was not far behind. But no other striker came close to Torres. Not only did he score important goals but many of his goals were world class. He could score goals out of nothing. His ball control was generally good, his dribbling was generally good, his pace was insane, he was good at heading, he could finish from close range or smash it into the back of the net from long range. He was nearly everything you wanted in a striker.

I'm not saying you have to agree that Torres was the best striker in the world between 07 and 09 but to claim that he was nowhere near being the best striker in the world makes me suspect you're trolling or trying to be a WUM.

I almost cry when I think of Torres at his peak and see the donkey he is today. I've been a fan of him since he was at A.Madrid. His decline has been very depressing.
    He's not a troll, he just has a massive bias towards Arsenal, hence bringing Adebayor into the debate :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)

Maybe I exaggerated by saying that he was 'nowhere near' the best striker in the world but at no stage was he the best for me.

Just cant understand the revisionism in saying that Torres became **** at CFC. He was brutal at the world cup and his form at LFC was patchy for a good year before he left. He went downhill pretty rapidly from 2009 in all honesty. Quite what possessed Roman.A to part with £50m for him I'll never know.

(Original post by manchesterunited15)
    He's not a troll, he just has a massive bias towards Arsenal, hence bringing Adebayor into the debate :lol:
    eh? hate the sight of Adebayor and think he was always an average striker. Just brought him up as he matched Torres for goals in Torres' best season which kind of implies that he was barely even the best striker in England when Adebayor is matching him goal for goal.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind Torres at Arsenal for 9 million

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    If we say that:
    A) at Atletico he was 'only' a promising player, waiting to make the step up to prove himself as exceptional, and...
    B) fitness issues around the 2010 World Cup marked the turning point in his career

Then we can summarise his career as:
    1) showing promise at Atletico, but with a sense he was still a bit unproven
    2) 3 exceptional seasons at Liverpool (07-08, 08-09 and 09-10)
    3) 3 atrocious seasons (10-11, 11-12 and the current one)

So I don't think it's unfair to say 3 exceptional seasons and 3 atrocious ones. 'Atrocious' is probably too strong a word to describe his half season (10-11) at Liverpool, but it's closer to the truth that 'great', because at least from what I remember he was a shadow of his former self. And regardless the 2nd half of 10-11 after the Chelsea move was atrocious by pretty much any definition.
    I'd say that 03-04, where he was third top scorer in the league behind Ronaldo and ahead of David Villa, despite playing for a midtable team, was exceptional. And I wouldn't call 75 goals in 174 games in his 5 La Liga seasons unproven.

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    I wouldn't mind Torres at Arsenal for 9 million
    I honestly wouldnt take him for £3m. His performances on the pitch have been comical for 2 years. No point buying him because he was once a good player. May as well sign Adriano.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I exaggerated by saying that he was 'nowhere near' the best striker in the world but at no stage was he the best for me.

Just cant understand the revisionism in saying that Torres became **** at CFC. He was brutal at the world cup and his form at LFC was patchy for a good year before he left. He went downhill pretty rapidly from 2009 in all honesty.#

eh? hate the sight of Adebayor and think he was always an average striker. Just brought him up as he matched Torres for goals in Torres' best season which kind of implies that he was barely even the best striker in England when Adebayor is matching him goal for goal.
    Well if you're just going by goals, only Ronaldo got more than Torres and he wasn't a striker. Torres played less games than Adebayor and for a worse team so yeah, he's still the best striker in England. And Adebayor wasn't always average and certainly wasn't in 07-08. I remember him having an amazing season, and he was joint second top scorer and in the team of the year, you just seem bitter at him for leaving and the way he acted afterwards.

I don't see how you can argue Torres being best striker in the world in 2008. He came third in both the Ballon d'Or and WPOTY, behind Messi and Ronaldo who aren't/weren't strikers.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're just going by goals, only Ronaldo got more than Torres and he wasn't a striker. Torres played less games than Adebayor and for a worse team so yeah, he's still the best striker in England. And Adebayor wasn't always average and certainly wasn't in 07-08. I remember him having an amazing season, and he was joint second top scorer and in the team of the year, you just seem bitter at him for leaving and the way he acted afterwards.

I don't see how you can argue Torres being best striker in the world in 2008. He came third in both the Ballon d'Or and WPOTY, behind Messi and Ronaldo who aren't/weren't strikers.
    Hang about, so you said I was bigging up Adebayor because of my Arsenal bias and now I'm not giving him enough credit? I was delighted to see Adebayor gone for £25m. He was worth around £15m tops.

Sure Torres was up there in 2008 but I would still have fancied Henry, Villa, Ibra at the time. It a matter of opinion.

What is 100% true is that Torres became a shadow of his former self long before he pulled on a blue shirt. If it wasnt for Villa taking over in the 2010WC Spain would have been in huge trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Hang about, so you said I was bigging up Adebayor because of my Arsenal bias and now I'm not giving him enough credit? I was delighted to see Adebayor gone for £25m. He was worth around £15m tops.

Sure Torres was up there in 2008 but I would still have fancied Henry, Villa, Ibra at the time. It a matter of opinion.

What is 100% true is that Torres became a shadow of his former self long before he pulled on a blue shirt. If it wasnt for Villa taking over in the 2010WC Spain would have been in huge trouble.
    I think Adebayor was a good striker. I don't think he was anywhere near the best in the world as I thought you were saying at first (you explained you were actually just bringing him up because he scored as many as torres) but i also dont think he was "average" as you said.

It is a matter of opinion but judging by the two world player of the year awards, the team of the year poll, and the 6 negs on your post, yours is a very unpopular opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think Adebayor was a good striker. I don't think he was anywhere near the best in the world as I thought you were saying at first (you explained you were actually just bringing him up because he scored as many as torres) but i also dont think he was "average" as you said.

It is a matter of opinion but judging by the two world player of the year awards, the team of the year poll, and the 6 negs on your post, yours is a very unpopular opinion.
    well the people negging me are probably the same people who said that Torres was amazing up to the second he left Liverpool...

ReputationRep:
    Useless for Chelsea for 2 years under 4 different managers
    Useless for Liverpool for a year before leaving under 3 different managers
    Useless for Spain with the best midfield ever behind him

Many strikers' careers end suddenly. Michael Owen is another so it's not unprecedented. Safe to say he'll never be a top striker again though. Only Chelsea would have parted with £50m for him.
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Love the way people forget the Fernando Torres of between 2004 and 2009. There is no doubt he was one of the best strikers in the world then for club or country.

Quite simply, I don't think he has recovered long term from the knee injury that nearly made him miss the 2010 World Cup. And when he was in that tournament it was plain for all to see that he was not fully fit and despite getting a winners medal he really did zip all in SA 2010. And so, the fatigue made him more injury prone and had an average first half of season at Liverpool. And maybe that £50 million transfer didn't help the pressure on him.

But of course he is only 28, and late 20s are the peak ages for a footballer so in theory he should have another 4 or 5 years at the top provided he is injury free and I am not sure injuries have been what has hampered him at Chelsea.

To answer the question in the thread title - will he get his form back? His value has certainly dropped and the best move for him would be to leave Chelsea this summer and maybe a Bundesliga or Serie A team could be the right answer at this stage in his career - but who would afford to gamble on him? Or go to PSG.

ReputationRep:

Torres on form. And he'll never get back to that level.

ReputationRep:
    Torres is finished.

ReputationRep:
    I think he should move back to Spain, to at least try and get himself enjoying the game again. His aim should be to try and get back into the national side, but I just cannot see him returning to the form of around 2008

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.