The Student Room Group

Can I do Physics at Uni?

Hi guys, I hope this is the right place to post.

So after my January AS results, i've started to doubt my potential for going to university.
I do Maths, Further Maths, Phyics, and Chemistry. I also do Level One Latin (basically an ASSET).
In January, I sat C1, C2, D1, AQA Physics Unit 1, OR Chemistry Unit 1
And i scored
ABBBC, respectively.
the ABB in the three maths modules had a total ums of 244/300, so I definitely have an A in AS maths.
The B in Physics was pretty much JUST a B, but I decided not to resit, since I am resitting Chemistry. It was an awful exam, too, and I was pretty surprised that I got a B, I just don't click with Electricity.
And I was disappointed with the C in Chemistry, I'm just resitting that because I know I can do a lot better than a C. It was a low C, too.

So yeah, ABBBC in January AS exams.
Is there potential for me to do Physics at a Russell Group uni? Do universities other than Cambridge look at UMS scores?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Yes you're fine. Just focus on getting good results in the summer. Hell even if your summer results matched your current ones you wouldn't be in too much trouble. I find summer exams go better than January ones too.
Reply 2
Original post by Chumpster
Yes you're fine. Just focus on getting good results in the summer. Hell even if your summer results matched your current ones you wouldn't be in too much trouble. I find summer exams go better than January ones too.

Thanks for the reply, haha! I'm so worried because the university of manchester ask for A*A*A as entry requirements for their Physics course. It's all a bit daunting, I don't feel that's attainable for me...
Oh well, we'll see!

Thanks again.
Reply 3
DUDE those are the same subjects i do! *high five* ( i dont do latin though)

im doing Edxel maths and further, and OCR chem and physics. (my chem sucks)

:P i screwed up D1 this spring.... and S1 and S2 and FP1 and C4 (resit) and Chemistry unit 4 but thats another story....

i got B in my phisics first time round, but im predicted an A/A* now. dont worry about it, doing mechanics in maths is a big help, as well. if you do M1 and M2 (im sure you will) then you will understand all the maths required for physics, its just a case of learning definitions and exam technique...

I have offers from Strathclyde for marine enigineering of B,B,B including maths and physics.... I got in contact with them,. and they lowered the grades from my original offer (AAB or ABB)

tbh even if if you get BBB in maths, physics and further maths then you should have no problem doing physics at least somewhere :biggrin: a friend of mine is thinking of going to manchester for physics, they offered him AAA (maths, physics and History), a really good personal statement really helps though.

Yes, other unis look at ums, but as long as you get A's in the other physics modules they will assume the B was just a bad day.

To summarise, Yes.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest