The Student Room Group

I applied for the third year. Now i'm not sure.

Hi! I'm 19 and currently on a foundation degree course. I'm in the second year (final year). I've really enjoyed it, I've got something out of it, but I applied for the third year.

It's a slightly different course/different name, but the same sort of layout. By doing it, i'd get a full degree.

Thing is, I got an email today saying about an interview later this week. I've been thinking about it all evening, and I just don't feel sure about it anymore.

I've learned a lot from the course i'm on currently, and I just feel like I want to get out there now really. I've not got anything against going to University at all, but I just feel i'm not sure if I really want to do it. I think it'd be the £9,000 fees too, and even if it was free for another year, I'd be feeling the same way.

It's just it's apparently very similar to the second year (what i'm in now). I've learnt a lot, and have gained experience in things, and have gotten out there a bit more with projects so i'd be doing things I wouldn't be doing if I wasn't at University.

But, I just feel like I want to get a job now, or learn more about my profession in a working environment.

What do you think? Go with my feelings, or go for the interview and see what happens. I only applied as a kind of back-up, and I needed more time to think, but if there was a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being I don't want to go for it, and 10 being I do want to go for it, I'd be at about a 2 or a 3 now.
Original post by timmy-scott
Hi! I'm 19 and currently on a foundation degree course. I'm in the second year (final year). I've really enjoyed it, I've got something out of it, but I applied for the third year.

It's a slightly different course/different name, but the same sort of layout. By doing it, i'd get a full degree.

Thing is, I got an email today saying about an interview later this week. I've been thinking about it all evening, and I just don't feel sure about it anymore.

I've learned a lot from the course i'm on currently, and I just feel like I want to get out there now really. I've not got anything against going to University at all, but I just feel i'm not sure if I really want to do it. I think it'd be the £9,000 fees too, and even if it was free for another year, I'd be feeling the same way.

It's just it's apparently very similar to the second year (what i'm in now). I've learnt a lot, and have gained experience in things, and have gotten out there a bit more with projects so i'd be doing things I wouldn't be doing if I wasn't at University.

But, I just feel like I want to get a job now, or learn more about my profession in a working environment.

What do you think? Go with my feelings, or go for the interview and see what happens. I only applied as a kind of back-up, and I needed more time to think, but if there was a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being I don't want to go for it, and 10 being I do want to go for it, I'd be at about a 2 or a 3 now.

If you don't want to go for it - then don't. Although you'll open more doors if you gain a full degree, rather than just a foundation degree. If you look on UCAS you only need to do a 'top up' degree, which is one year too. You'd be more likely to be able to pick modules etc too.

You could always top it up to a degree by studying part time, whilst working in industry.
Reply 2

Maybe take a step back. In the current climate, how likely is it that you will get a job? Many people who graduated with me in 2011 are still struggling to find meaningful work - some are working in call centres and supermarkets, and some have been unemployed (not through choice) since we finished. It's not a good job market to throw yourself into on spec. Ask yourself how you'd feel if you saw your colleagues graduating next year, whilst you were knocking on doors in all weathers for a charity collection agency?

At least the additional year at uni would be constructive and would give you a qualification which will last you for life. One you graduate with your degree, you'll have plenty of time to look for entry-level jobs and build up a base of work experience. And there's always the chance that the job market would have picked up a bit in the meantime (although I wouldn't be too optimistic).
Reply 3
Go to the interview and see what happens.

You can always change your mind and withdraw later, but if you miss the interview you cannot change your mind and un-withdraw.
Original post by Juno
Go to the interview and see what happens.

You can always change your mind and withdraw later, but if you miss the interview you cannot change your mind and un-withdraw.

I'm really worried now and wondering what to do about this. I was given 3 days notice about this interview. Day 1... I've been ill all-day - a bad aura migraine. I still have a bit of a headache and was sick today. I'm on my phone at the moment but feel really unwell. Day 2... I don't think i'll be going in for lessons tomorrow because whenever i've got one of these migraines in the past (that start with flashing lights), I've not really ever felt 100% the next day and the thing I need is rest.

Day 3... Interview day. How am I supposed to get out, buy a portfolio, print off work to go in it - professionally at a printers, and get most of my deadline done for Friday...?!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :'(
Reply 5

I'm really worried now and wondering what to do about this. I was given 3 days notice about this interview. Day 1... I've been ill all-day - a bad aura migraine. I still have a bit of a headache and was sick today. I'm on my phone at the moment but feel really unwell. Day 2... I don't think i'll be going in for lessons tomorrow because whenever i've got one of these migraines in the past (that start with flashing lights), I've not really ever felt 100% the next day and the thing I need is rest.

Day 3... Interview day. How am I supposed to get out, buy a portfolio, print off work to go in it - professionally at a printers, and get most of my deadline done for Friday...?!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :'(

Ask if they can change the interview date. You have a good reason - especially if you have seen a doctor about this before, or if your school have experience of you being off with this before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending