Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Will I ever get a girlfriend? Watch

Hi, I'm 17 and have yet to have a girlfriend although I do have many female friends my age. The problem is that I'm too shy to get really close to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and didn't have a girlfriend before until very recently. There's no set age for a relationship. Make friends with both boys and girls and do things together. The rest works itself out.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry - your only 17. Plenty of time to meet someone

ReputationRep:
    It'll happen, likely when you least expect it!

ReputationRep:
    What you on? I'm almost 25 and in the same position. I'm F****d!

ReputationRep:
    Teenage problems. You wait until you grow up you'll see how much life sucks you'll wish you had the luxury of complaining about trivial things. Get some real problems!

ReputationRep:
    If you are trying to tell me that ONLY you out of hundreds of people in your school/college/whatever don't have a girlfriend I find that hard to believe.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it'll happen one day mate! Just be yourself, I know it can be hard coming out of the shell that seems so warm and cozy, but it's the only way to learn who you really are. Peace out and happy hunting

ReputationRep:
    Relax, this is normal. Most young men your age are shy, I know I was and still am a little!
    Here's a secret: so are many girls!
    Just live your life, be yourself, stay positive, build your confidence slowly. Hang out with anyone as friends, male or female, and just keep it casual. Friendships are just as important and it sounds like you've got a lot of them. When you find someone you'll know because you both gel. If you feel like it's going somewhere, then it might be worth asking them if they want to go out at the weekend or anything, not necessarily on a date but just out together

But until then, it's not worth dwelling on, seriously. A girlfriend is someone to share your life with, not fill a void with.

ReputationRep:
    i am 23 and i never even have any girls shown interest on me, leave alone kissing ,girlfriend , not even date.

(Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Teenage problems. You wait until you grow up you'll see how much life sucks you'll wish you had the luxury of complaining about trivial things. Get some real problems!
    How can you be so forgetful? Were you not once a teenager, at a time where every problem was the biggest one you'd ever had to face?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnomeMage)
    i am 23 and i never even have any girls shown interest on me, leave alone kissing ,girlfriend , not even date.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshineF4)
    why?
    how do i know :confused: go ask the girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnomeMage)
    how do i know :confused: go ask the girls
    Girl here :-)
    Not speaking for all of us, but girls do tend to be shy as well, if not more.
    traditionally the guy always makes the first move, and girls will be reluctant to show any interest unless they're sure the guy is interested in them too, in case they get shot down.
    I know it's difficult to talk to people, I m ridiculously shy myself, but when you meet the right sort of person, you can click, and talk really easily.
    So just hold on really, you'll fine someone worth the wait :-)

ReputationRep:
    In the same boat as OP. Everyone says don't go looking because it'll happen when you least expect it.

I've never had a boyfriend before but there are other things more important. Your eduction, friendships and health...to name a few. It'll happen sometime

ReputationRep:
    Shy girls think guys will approach them. Shy guys think girls will approach them. Forces at balance. Nothing happens. Someone must show initiative.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The answer is probably. If you want to improve the odds, then if you work on building attractive qualities, sooner or later you will be seen as attractive. Example attractive qualities: confidence, self-esteem, ambition, status, achievements, charisma, fashion sense, etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.