The Student Room Group

First time driving since passing...REALLY NERVOUS! Tips?

So, I passed my test way back in July. (yay!) And now after ages of waiting, i'm finally getting a car!.....however I am very, very nervous.

I'm getting the car through work, and as it's a lease car I never exactly knew the date I was getting it - I found out last week I'd be getting it this Wednesday. I'd ideally hoped to get in a few lessons before getting my car, but it was too short notice for my instructor.

As it's been 8 months since I passed, I'm VERY nervous. I passed first time and so know I am competent, it's just trying to remember everything :eek3: They will be delivering it to work, which means I will be driving it home (down the blimmin A23!)! My sister say she will come and meet me so at least I will have her in the car (she's been driving about a year), but I'm worried I will make a total fool of myself.

At the moment we are thinking I will drive around the car park a bit to get used to the clutch and stuff before journeying home, and the I'll drive around Brighton (where I live) to get even more used to the car. I'm also considering P plates so if I screw up at a roundabout people will understand. (yay? Nay?)

Does anyone have any other confidence boosting tips?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Main thing is to just take a deep breath and relax. Try some relaxing music if you think it'll help. Remember - don't go any faster than you feel comfortable with. If you piss off anyone behind, sod em - let them be ****ers if they must.

P plates are ill-advised since it's just asking for abuse from other drivers, much like L plates. They'll try to take liberties, thinking they're better than you.

Try just scooting around some residential estate areas since they'll give you plenty of turns, and a relatively traffic free area in which to practice clutch control. It'll soon become muscle memory so don't worry - practice makes perfect. :smile:)

In said estate areas, if you find a clear straight, take the opportunity to constantly shift gears to practice. You won't wear the clutch down since you're not putting much load on it when you're moving so don't worry about it. That said, don't do it more than 5 or 10 times in one stretch (difficult to give a number tbh) It's also a great time to practice rev-matching (that is, upping the revs to match the lower gear so you don't jolt the car when using the clutch), so make use of it. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Go somewhere quiet and practice before you take it on the motorway if you can just to get used to finding the bite and changing gears!

I know how you feel though I passed in December (first time as well) and I should have my first car by the end of the week, even though I don't need drive far to get it home all the roads are quite short so it means a lot of stopping and, most likely, a lot of stalling!

I'm trying not to think about it too much, hopefully we both get in the cars and it comes back to us naturally haha good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Flibble22
Main thing is to just take a deep breath and relax. Try some relaxing music if you think it'll help. Remember - don't go any faster than you feel comfortable with. If you piss off anyone behind, sod em - let them be ****ers if they must.

P plates are ill-advised since it's just asking for abuse from other drivers, much like L plates. They'll try to take liberties, thinking they're better than you.

Try just scooting around some residential estate areas since they'll give you plenty of turns, and a relatively traffic free area in which to practice clutch control. It'll soon become muscle memory so don't worry - practice makes perfect. :smile:)

In said estate areas, if you find a clear straight, take the opportunity to constantly shift gears to practice. You won't wear the clutch down since you're not putting much load on it when you're moving so don't worry about it. That said, don't do it more than 5 or 10 times in one stretch (difficult to give a number tbh) It's also a great time to practice rev-matching (that is, upping the revs to match the lower gear so you don't jolt the car when using the clutch), so make use of it. :smile:

Original post by morganalex
Go somewhere quiet and practice before you take it on the motorway if you can just to get used to finding the bite and changing gears!

I know how you feel though I passed in December (first time as well) and I should have my first car by the end of the week, even though I don't need drive far to get it home all the roads are quite short so it means a lot of stopping and, most likely, a lot of stalling!

I'm trying not to think about it too much, hopefully we both get in the cars and it comes back to us naturally haha good luck! :smile:

Thank you both! I think I will have a go in the little housing estates :smile: and, good luck to you too morganalex! we will have to let each other know how we get on :tongue:
I've been driving for a little under a month and I didn't have p plates at first but, personally, I've noticed the difference in using p plates. I'm not tailgated as much and people are generally more patient with me when I stall (less beeping). However, generally, as someone said, people do have bad experiences with their p plates, I for one haven't. Good luck, and follow the advice from those above, they will prove to be hopeful. Once you drive around and get a feel of the car, you will feel more confident!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by nadiah
So, I passed my test way back in July. (yay!) And now after ages of waiting, i'm finally getting a car!.....however I am very, very nervous.

I'm getting the car through work, and as it's a lease car I never exactly knew the date I was getting it - I found out last week I'd be getting it this Wednesday. I'd ideally hoped to get in a few lessons before getting my car, but it was too short notice for my instructor.

As it's been 8 months since I passed, I'm VERY nervous. I passed first time and so know I am competent, it's just trying to remember everything :eek3: They will be delivering it to work, which means I will be driving it home (down the blimmin A23!)! My sister say she will come and meet me so at least I will have her in the car (she's been driving about a year), but I'm worried I will make a total fool of myself.

At the moment we are thinking I will drive around the car park a bit to get used to the clutch and stuff before journeying home, and the I'll drive around Brighton (where I live) to get even more used to the car. I'm also considering P plates so if I screw up at a roundabout people will understand. (yay? Nay?)

Nay for the p plates :tongue: in my experience this basically makes everyone try to overtake you no matter where/how/if its safe or not - I ended up throwing my p plates away... You may feel safer with them on though, just in my experience they don't help!!
As you said though, main thing is to get used to the clutch/changing gears so I'd try go practice somewhere quiet before going onto the main roads :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by nadiah

Look up the AA Drive Confidence course. Its aimed at those who have passed and want extra tuition, whether it be guidance on maneuvers, general driving or having simply not driven for a while. Whilst you are not guarranteed to get it, it is free and worth applying for. I did it last month after 4 years off driving and it was thoroughly worth it.
Reply 7
I made it back without crashing, hooray! It was so scary though!
Reply 8
Original post by nadiah
I made it back without crashing, hooray! It was so scary though!

Well done :smile: How was it? Do tell :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Mukhabarat
Well done :smile: How was it? Do tell :smile:

It went surprisingly well! A couple of stalls here and there but nothing major, and I actually managed a parallel park!!!!!!

However this junction totally stumped me! Where/when do I indicate? Where do I wait? The road markings are poop! The red line is where I was going. If I indicate right straight away everyone will think I'm going down Preston Drove...I got beeped haha and I know I messed up but I don't know how not to mess this one up!
Reply 10
If Ditchling Road is one way I probably wouldn't have indicated at all to go down Stanford Avenue, as you'd have no other choice once past Preston Drove. That's my immediate interpretation of it anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending