Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently thinking about doing a computer networking degree in university and need some help finding suitable uni's for me. I've already looked at Staffordshire and Birmingham city, and they seem perfect for me, but i'll need 2-3 more for backup in case i don't get in.

The uni's need to be able to give me the chance to acquire CCNA/CCNP certifications and be accredited, plus a year in industry is preferable.

If it helps, i'm choosing networking as I prefer the hardware/connections of computing (don't like programming very much) and would love to work in cloud computing in the future.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey staffordshire uni could be a good choice. I am currently have a foundation year course in stoke college and planning to go for full degree computer networks and security course at staffs uni. They gives you cisco networking academy classes for ccna and ccnp certifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Birmingham City and have Staffordshire as back up, going this September. Going to be doing Computer Games Technology which is in the same place.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, what grades do you have - I imagine many CompSci degrees will have modules in computer networking, and if you can get on those they're, I think, better degrees to have on your CV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Just wondering, what grades do you have - I imagine many CompSci degrees will have modules in computer networking, and if you can get on those they're, I think, better degrees to have on your CV
    I've only got a C in maths and science at GCSE level (issues in school) i've looked at CompSci but from what i've read theres loads of theory/programming involved which doesn't really interest me, plus alot of CompSci degrees don't include CCNA certificates which is something that I defeinitely want to come away with. from what i've been told and researched, the certificates are highly respected by employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welshbum)
    Hi, i'm currently thinking about doing a computer networking degree in university and need some help finding suitable uni's for me. I've already looked at Staffordshire and Birmingham city, and they seem perfect for me, but i'll need 2-3 more for backup in case i don't get in.

The uni's need to be able to give me the chance to acquire CCNA/CCNP certifications and be accredited, plus a year in industry is preferable.

If it helps, i'm choosing networking as I prefer the hardware/connections of computing (don't like programming very much) and would love to work in cloud computing in the future.

Thanks.
    This has been a long time. Oh well. I was in the same boat. It was BCU vs Staffs. All the other unis just didn't cut it. I mean at Coventry for example, they don't even teach the CCNA as compulsory. It's an optional. At our uni, you don't have to take the CCNA exam, but you do have to go through the syllabus (Bit pointless if you don't go for the exam imo)

I go to Staffs. Main reasons, being tutor recommendation, because at the start of my course (might have changed now), it seemed a lot more challenging than BCU's course structure. It seemed that in BCU, you only get to do CCNP at postgrad (may have changed). I also read this:
    http://www.staffs.ac.uk/undergraduat...orks/#inspired

BCU is the main Cisco academy in the UK, have a big cisco room, but I've been told that we (Staffs) have more equipment than them? And apparently we have the most pagent routers in the entire world.... (They're just used for traffic generation, but still)

Both uni's do placements afaik. Of course placements are not guaranteed, so you have to remember that. That's the same wherever you go. Let's say that as part of my sandwich year, I'll be on placement at a very large multinational, and I know people who also have roles at large multinationals

(Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    This is true perhaps. I know of a CompSci guy doing a networking placement

(Original post by CodeJack)
    I'm going to Birmingham City and have Staffordshire as back up, going this September. Going to be doing Computer Games Technology which is in the same place.
    Hmm interestingly I had them the other way around

(Original post by Welshbum)
    I've only got a C in maths and science at GCSE level (issues in school) i've looked at CompSci but from what i've read theres loads of theory/programming involved which doesn't really interest me, plus alot of CompSci degrees don't include CCNA certificates which is something that I defeinitely want to come away with. from what i've been told and researched, the certificates are highly respected by employers.
    A c is fine. Staffs are kinda annoying in the first year, because there is some programming involved in some of the modules, but come second year, I absolutely loved it! Cos there was far, far more networking! With regards to the CCNA certificates, I'd best be honest and say it's not just "given to you" What you are given is a discounted voucher to go and take the test for real

Of course, they do also do the academy connection tests, but you have to go to a vue centre, for the actual stuff

ReputationRep:
    You could look at Bournemouth, they offer a computer networking degree and offer you the opportunity to get CCNA certified. The course content is based heavily around the CCNA syllabus but taking the qualification itself is optional.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)

Hmm interestingly I had them the other way around
    I put BCU first because they have many more facilities and the course they teach was more relevant to what I wanted to do. Also, staff doesn't look very nice. It just seems like a school with all brickwork on the inside and the accommodation isn't very clean. Plus they all live with an adult on campus.. I'd hate that, takes away freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    I put BCU first because they have many more facilities and the course they teach was more relevant to what I wanted to do. Also, staff doesn't look very nice. It just seems like a school with all brickwork on the inside and the accommodation isn't very clean. Plus they all live with an adult on campus.. I'd hate that, takes away freedom.
    Hmm fair enoughs I guess. I preferred the course structure at staffs. I'm not so fussed about how a uni looks. Accom I found pretty standard, as well as BCU? Might have been what you saw I guess. Sorry? There are wardens for houses, but that's common for most unis. You just live with some random people generally. I mean you can live outside of halls as well

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.