Turn on thread page Beta

Unplanned Travel? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After an unplanned gap year and some serious working and saving, and a bit of fun, I have the chance to go to Peru for a month in June with a friend, to meet up with some other friends who by that time will have been in South America for two months. THe thing is that I will basically be unable to plan anything at all, as it will up to the guys out there already what we do, not me and my mate. This means that with the exception of maybe a first nite, Im gonna be unable to plan anything about what Im gonna do before I go. The rough idea is to go through Bolivia to Rio, but even that is probably too specific! Do you think it would be stupid to go without any plans at all? I know sum people do this all the time, I also know that sum people plan their time meticulously and have every night planned out. Im quite a cautious person so the whole idea makes me nervous. The friend i'll be with is not worried about doing this, but he's quite different to me in that respect. Any advice at all would be appreciated, as parents are a no go, if they had any idea that I had so little idea theyd freak.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert traveller, or anything remotely close to that.. But I imagine that the friends you'll be meeting out there will be a dab hand at travelling by the point you get there - I mean, they'll be used to it and will have heard what's worth going to see and what's not.

From what I gather (lots of friends are on gap years) it's not a good idea to have everything planned out meticulously, as when you get there you meet other travellers who'll have recommendations of things to do / places to see. So i'd say the best thing is to have some major things you want to do (for my friend, it was seeing great white sharks in SA) and make sure you let everyone know early on that you want to be able to do that.. you & your friend could always spend a couple of days doing your own thing and then meeting up with the others?

Seeing as you'll be doing it all with people you know & I presume trust, I'd say you should be fine. Be adventurous I say !

ReputationRep:
    But if you're not comfortable with the idea you could try to arrange something with just your friend - and plan it out a little better? You will inevitably meet other people on your travels so it wouldn't be just you and him/her the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i think you right, its just theres a worry that everything could go wrong. they are trustworthy mates, but still 19 year old blokes and therefore inherently unorganised and not always the most forwardthinking!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.