Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

I need a dark theme for my story. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this story I made has all the small details such as characters and themes.

I just need an idea for a plot.

For inspirations I've used The Lord of The Flies, Heart of Darkness and the film with Tom Hanks in when he talks to the basketball a long with Taken.

I've looked on Wikipedia into crimes against Humanity and ideas such as kidnap and sold into sexual slavery, organ trafficking, slave labor, forced prostitution and genocide.

I'm looking for something perhaps more sinister but I like the idea of Organ trafficking and forced to be involved in an ongoing genocide so they won't be killed themselves.

The basic plot is really 4 British exchange students who end up kidnapped and are nearly forced into this, but obviously escaping. But to survive and get away, they need to join their captors which I'm still thinking if they are a crime ring, pirates etc to not be seen as suspicious.

So I really want to get into how just typical students/average people deal with their situation, the crimes against Humanity they commit just to survive and how it affects them and that they become just as bad or even worse than their captors.

A location idea would be great but I could be looking into Africa as a possible setting. Either way, the location itself needs to be lawless, they are alone and no help is coming. A sense of helplessness is required in the location like an island or something. Maybe a lesser known country.

Something that strikes fear into anyone, no monsters are needed. Mexico drug war for example, people being beheaded for minor things, massacre's, being a drug mule or family threatened with death. I want something like that, true adult fear.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I think stuff like that is going to be pretty hard to write about if you haven't lived it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    I dunno, I think stuff like that is going to be pretty hard to write about if you haven't lived it
    The internet is a vast world. I'm bound to find some experiences. And use a bit of....artistic license and imagination. Do I really need experience in themes like this? I doubt many writers do. And besides, it's just for personal enjoyment. Not doing anything else with it. I doubt JK Rowling went to magic school, Tolkien wasn't involved in the war for Middle Earth etc.

And obviously It won't be realistic down to the finer details.

But I want to focus on the guys descent into brutality and savagery really and whats going on through their minds.

ReputationRep:
    If you want true adult fear, tell a story about being hog tied to a bed by Susan Boyle.

ReputationRep:
    Why not Eastern Europe?

And you don't have to narrow it down to one crime, a criminal gang/underworld would be involved in more than one. As for harowing things, why not have the students having to do something to the other students in order to please their captors? One pretty terrible story I remember hearing that came out of congo is that they'd make fathers rape their daughters or they'd kill the entire family, that sort of thing fitted to the situation, take a look at how far people are willing to go to survive, and what happens when their limit is further than someone elses, how the group relationship may break down etc.

ReputationRep:
    An African Tribe obsessed with Human flesh especially the new aliens. They make the students eat and eat and eat (dead human flesh) and with a grand festival they cook them and eat them.
    Some of the captives would have to get corrupted with the practices of the tribe and join the cannibals too. At the end he should eat his friends. But suddenly get that nostalgia blah blah and hatch a plot to stop this practice.
    He fails but escapes. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to plumb the depths of human cruelty, read the testimony of Soon Ok Lee, an escapee from a North Korean prison, before a US Senate committee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Why not Eastern Europe?

And you don't have to narrow it down to one crime, a criminal gang/underworld would be involved in more than one. As for harowing things, why not have the students having to do something to the other students in order to please their captors? One pretty terrible story I remember hearing that came out of congo is that they'd make fathers rape their daughters or they'd kill the entire family, that sort of thing fitted to the situation, take a look at how far people are willing to go to survive, and what happens when their limit is further than someone elses, how the group relationship may break down etc.
    Sounds too much like Taken really. But that is what I want, how far are my characters willing to go to survive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    An African Tribe obsessed with Human flesh especially the new aliens. They make the students eat and eat and eat (dead human flesh) and with a grand festival they cook them and eat them.
    Some of the captives would have to get corrupted with the practices of the tribe and join the cannibals too. At the end he should eat his friends. But suddenly get that nostalgia blah blah and hatch a plot to stop this practice.
    He fails but escapes. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds too...barbaric. I want to focus on Humans that chose to this, not those who do it due to culture. Also they are trying to 'please' but more of a showing their 'allegiance' to them and that they should be kept around, not killed instantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    If you want true adult fear, tell a story about being hog tied to a bed by Susan Boyle.
    Don't insult the hairy angel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    If you want to plumb the depths of human cruelty, read the testimony of Soon Ok Lee, an escapee from a North Korean prison, before a US Senate committee.
    Will read, I heard of this guy before. Could give me ideas but I want the main enemies to be pirates, slavers etc. Something a parent would fear the most about letting their child go somewhere abroad.

EDIT: Ah, wrong person person (the Korean). I thought you were on about a North Korean guy who lived in a slave encampment but managed to escape.

ReputationRep:
    four students are kidnapped by the forces of evil and forced to attend a Labour Party Conference ... the horror, the horror

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    Will read, I heard of this guy before. Could give me ideas but I want the main enemies to be pirates, slavers etc. Something a parent would fear the most about letting their child go somewhere abroad.

EDIT: Ah, wrong person person (the Korean). I thought you were on about a North Korean guy who lived in a slave encampment but managed to escape.
    Jesus christ that story is horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    four students are kidnapped by the forces of evil and forced to attend a Labour Party Conference ... the horror, the horror
    You totally should have re-used the one you came up with on my thread last week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kk_15)
    You totally should have re-used the one you came up with on my thread last week.
    ermm i've forgotten the exact details
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The internet is a vast world. I'm bound to find some experiences. And use a bit of....artistic license and imagination. Do I really need experience in themes like this? I doubt many writers do. And besides, it's just for personal enjoyment. Not doing anything else with it. I doubt JK Rowling went to magic school, Tolkien wasn't involved in the war for Middle Earth etc.

And obviously It won't be realistic down to the finer details.

But I want to focus on the guys descent into brutality and savagery really and whats going on through their minds.

And yet Tolkien experienced war, and Rowling experienced school. You're making a jump from absolutely nothing, and the fact that you find yourself here asking for someone else to write your story proves it.

I agree that you would've been better basing your story on something you know. You say you have themes and motifs ready, but those should be added in afterwards to add to the plot.

Still, I know you'll ignore my advice. So maybe play some video games and watch some films about this sort of thing and steal from them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    And yet Tolkien experienced war, and Rowling experienced school. You're making a jump from absolutely nothing, and the fact that you find yourself here asking for someone else to write your story proves it.

I agree that you would've been better basing your story on something you know. You say you have themes and motifs ready, but those should be added in afterwards to add to the plot.

Still, I know you'll ignore my advice. So maybe play some video games and watch some films about this sort of thing and steal from them
    Understood. Not asking for plot ideas, I just want an idea for the enemies. A motive really and I already suggested ideas such as organ harvesting.

No such thing as stealing plot ideas, nothing is original now. No matter what type of plot it is, it will always have comparisons and/tropes/inspirations.

I'm all for advice. Like I said, it's just for personal enjoyment, I'll probably delete the story afterwards once I'm done.

You recommend me to play video games and learn their stories when it is more possible that they too, the writers have not experienced such things.

ReputationRep:
    The basic plot is really 4 British exchange students who end up kidnapped and are nearly forced into this, but obviously escaping. But to survive and get away, they need to join their captors which I'm still thinking if they are a crime ring, pirates etc to not be seen as suspicious.
    Sounds like the plot to Farcry 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Sounds like the plot to Farcry 3
    Sounds similar doesn't it? Been playing Max Payne 3 instead and Lord of The Flies

Hence where the organ harvesting and crime ring came from and also the characters personality changes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to sound overly harsh but hasn't this basic plot-line been done many times before? I can think of Hostel, Taken and Farcry of the top of my head.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.