Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Michael Owen retiring.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    The fact that there's not a thread on it yet just shows how irrelevant he has become. Can't think of any sets of fans that will miss him, if he had stayed at Liverpool he could be going out a legend like Carragher. Was a great player in his younger days and would have easily beaten England's goalscoring record, if only......

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the scrote retires from breathing too. Horrible little ****.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly. He was clearly plagued by injury after he left Liverpool but there's no doubt in my mind that ticking time bomb would have been set off if he'd had stayed. Remains a Liverpool legend in my eyes, regardless of the Old Trafford move. At that stage he was hardly inundated with offers and any footballer would have taken the no-brainer move.

Genuinely one of England's best ever poachers. Good luck to him.

ReputationRep:
    He'll forever be a hero in my mind.

Man Utd 4 - 3 Man City

ReputationRep:
    That goal against Argentina.
    That hat-trick against Germany.
    That goal in the friendly against Brazil.

Other players will score more, but not many will score better. Great player.

ReputationRep:
    Funny that he has played for the biggest club in Spain and the two biggest in England and yet his career can be defined as unfulfilled potential. I wonder just how good he would have been if his fitness was managed properly early in his career.

I have quite fond memories of him though, the winner against City of course, but also I grew up watching him lead the line for England. Being young, naive and hopeful I actually believed in the team back then, and the Argentina goal and the Germany hat-trick will always stick in my mind. Goal against Brazil in 2002 too actually, watched it at school and everyone was so happy.

I suppose in some strange way his career reflects my support/faith in the national team. So much promise fading away into nothingness.

ReputationRep:
    He was class before all the injuries. One of the few British players to win the Balon-da-or. He was definitely a real talent.

For a good period of my child-hood was my favourite player.

I personally think he has done more in the first 4-5 years in his career than what most do in their entire career. And he never gave up , even with injury he kept playing.

I hope he becomes a pundit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Funny that he has played for the biggest club in Spain and the two biggest in England and yet his career can be defined as unfulfilled potential. I wonder just how good he would have been if his fitness was managed properly early in his career.

I have quite fond memories of him though, the winner against City of course, but also I grew up watching him lead the line for England. Being young, naive and hopeful I actually believed in the team back then, and the Argentina goal and the Germany hat-trick will always stick in my mind. Goal against Brazil in 2002 too actually, watched it at school and everyone was so happy.

I suppose in some strange way his career reflects my support/faith in the national team. So much promise fading away into nothingness.
    I remember watching that! Woke up early in the morning, was like five years old, got to watch the first half before school i think!

ReputationRep:
    Good player before he got injured, bit obvious this was going to happen, He has spent more time on the match of the day sofa this season than he has done for Stoke on the football field.. I hope BBC sign him up for match of the day permanently next season they need a change from the boring and predictable Lawrenson, Shearer and Hansen come out with the same old recycled comments every week..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    Hardly. He was clearly plagued by injury after he left Liverpool but there's no doubt in my mind that ticking time bomb would have been set off if he'd had stayed. Remains a Liverpool legend in my eyes, regardless of the Old Trafford move. At that stage he was hardly inundated with offers and any footballer would have taken the no-brainer move.

Genuinely one of England's best ever poachers. Good luck to him.
    Your one of the few. I used to idolize him as a kid (which Liverpool fan my age didn't?) but I can't stand him now, and haven't been able to for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Great player who peaked very early into his career and was ruined by injuries, being pushed too hard to recover from them, and bad decisions all round.

He's not a very likable guy at all, but he was phenomenal at his best. He seemed to peak far too soon into his career and it's almost like he got burnt out when he was supposed to be at the top of his career.

ReputationRep:
    Great player back in the day, who knows how significant a figure he would have become if he hadn't been plagued by injuries.

ReputationRep:
    Sad he didn't go out in a blaze of Glory he should have worked harder to stay at Man U, barely getting a game for Stoke

ReputationRep:
    he was a useless footballer to England anyway
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    He's leaving?

More like Michael Go-en....

I'd like to apologise now for how bad that was.

ReputationRep:
    It does make me laugh that he only won his first Premier League when he was with United, towards the very end of his career. Still one-upped Steven Gerrard...

ReputationRep:
    Good player for England, as for Liverpool and United, well I'll let those fans do the praising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    It does make me laugh that he only won his first Premier League when he was with United, towards the very end of his career. Still one-upped Steven Gerrard...
    Exactly. And even though the fat Spanish waiter fluked a CL I'm sure the majority of English players would rather win the league. It's the bread and butter.

Creasehead should have left for Chelsea after 2005 as well.

ReputationRep:
    My problem with Owen is that he only cared for himself and what the history books would show of him.

- He told Liverpool that he would sign a new contract, only to tell the club that he changed his mind in the summer that he only had one year left - forcing him to be sold for a fraction of his true worth at 8mil to Real Madrid

- He picked Real Madrid for the money and potential for trophies despite knowing that he was not going to get much of a look in in terms of match time (Madrid had just spent huge sums on players and only bought Owen because he commanded a cheap fee and Raul was still going to continue playing regularly)

- He left Madrid only because he feared his England spot might be under threat and moved to Newcastle just for his England spot and not because he wanted to be at the club. He got paid obscene money and was just injured for most of the time and wasn't very pleasant to Newcastle fans

- He joined Utd because again he wanted more trophies despite knowing he wouldn't actually have much involvement of winning the trophies

- He declared himself too good for a number of clubs despite having sent out pretty brochures about how great he is before signing for Stoke

- He talks about his stupid horses far too much

That's not to say plenty of other players haven't done the same or should be critisied for it per say but that's my personal take on it. He rushed himself back for the 2006 WC only to leave England with a squad with a man short and to screw Newcastle over in his own pursuit for England glory.

He does plenty of other classless things like post his trophy cabinet to make a point etc.

ReputationRep:
    Too many if, buts and maybes with michael owen Class act though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 21, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.