Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Michael Owen retiring.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Exactly. And even though the fat Spanish waiter fluked a CL I'm sure the majority of English players would rather win the league. It's the bread and butter.

Creasehead should have left for Chelsea after 2005 as well.
    LOOOL!!!
    Best wum I've seen in a while. Creasehead ****.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite Owen memory is him scoring vs Brazil for England in the World Cup. I remember the Argentina goal in '98 but for some reason I just prefer the one against Brazil, I remember watching it in bed before school. England winning against Brazil in the World Cup sounds much more attractive than achieving parity with Argentina or scoring a hat trick in a qualifier vs Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1qJnV-YYXs

ReputationRep:
    So disappointing he ruined his career by going newcastle/united/stoke. He was literally englands greatest striker IMO but all I remember now is the joke of ending he had to his career. If only he never left madrid people would be talking about him in the same breath as gazza

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Was there ever a better 17/18 year old than him?

But the sight of him arriving at Ascot in a horse drawn carriage behind the Queen pretty muvch summed up his prioirties. And this was a few years ago.
    Yes. Plenty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historicity)
    He's leaving?

More like Michael Go-en....

I'd like to apologise now for how bad that was.
    You're taking the Michael if you think that was a good pun....

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm...I'm so sorry...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    Think I'd rather be Michael Owen to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Hate when people who signed up to serve for their country use it as an excuse to throw that statement around. They volunteered to join the armed forces... anyone can do it. Not everyone can become a professional footballer.

(don't misinterpret this as an insult to the armed forces, I greatly appreciate what they do but I hate when they make it out as WWII-martyrdom when it just isn't).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)

Also, he was well liked by Toon fans...

No. No he's not well liked by Toon fans. We hate the little ****. Money grabbing ********. He Couldn't give two tiny ****s about Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage)
    No. No he's not well liked by Toon fans. We hate the little ****. Money grabbing ********. He Couldn't give two tiny ****s about Newcastle.
    Sorry I completely forgot you are the voice of every Newcastle fan on the planet.

I know many who think he's a quality striker and performed well for you when without injury. If you think allegiances count for **** in football you've read and absorbed far too much hyperbole. It's a job, that is all.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like this, though. Owen really doesn't need to respond to trolls like this. It almost appears at times like he's simply doing it to reiterate to himself how good he was - he must be visited by nostalgia more than any of us regarding his early feats; that's totally understandable. However, anyone who is at all intelligent or perceptive will remember Owen as a very good player, regardless of those 'bleak' late years (years that still yielded a Premier League title and a Champions League hat-trick); it's only trolls and fools who use 2008-2013 as the definitive indicator of Owen's career.

ReputationRep:
    Hate when people who signed up to serve for their country use it as an excuse to throw that statement around. They volunteered to join the armed forces... anyone can do it. Not everyone can become a professional footballer.

(don't misinterpret this as an insult to the armed forces, I greatly appreciate what they do but I hate when they make it out as WWII-martyrdom when it just isn't).
    You think just anyone can be a soldier in the British Army? :lolwut:

That's like saying 'anyone' can be a doctor or firefighter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    You think just anyone can be a soldier in the British Army? :lolwut:

That's like saying 'anyone' can be a doctor or firefighter.
    I expected a post like yours. I'm clearly talking potential here -- you need to have the correct mindset.

In terms of physical restriction there is little limiting anyone to join the armed forces other than fitness, which can be improved. Footballing talent, you'll find, is much harder to develop.

Anyone can become a doctor or firefighter so long as their frame of mind is open to it (i.e. handling fear and stress). There are no physical restrictions. The same is not true of football...

ReputationRep:
    Hated Owen.

Even when he was at Liverpool, I hated him. A good player 1997-2002 but was never the same after his hamstring troubles.

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    I expected a post like yours. I'm clearly talking potential here -- you need to have the correct mindset.

In terms of physical restriction there is little limiting anyone to join the armed forces other than fitness, which can be improved. Footballing talent, you'll find, is much harder to develop.

Anyone can become a doctor or firefighter so long as their frame of mind is open to it (i.e. handling fear and stress). There are no physical restrictions. The same is not true of football...
    You're incorrect to be honest, there's a ton of things that limit you joining, fitness, medical issues, incorrect mindset etc

And are you honestly making the statement 'anyone can be a doctor', really? You seem to think football talent is some magical thing, when you yourself have listed characteristics for other jobs that are just as needed as 'talent' in football. Arguably anyone can be trained to be a half decent footballer, the Premiership is like the SAS of football if we want to use a crude analogy.

ReputationRep:
    You're incorrect to be honest, there's a ton of things that limit you joining, fitness, medical issues, incorrect mindset etc
    I said if you were of the correct mindset. You can improve fitness. Medical issues apply to both and are obviously exempt from discusion...

And are you honestly making the statement 'anyone can be a doctor', really?
    Sure, go to college and study hard and get your grades? It's not rocket science. Just because not every does get the required grades doesn't meant they couldn't. Again, subject to the correct mindset.

You seem to think football talent is some magical thing, when you yourself have listed characteristics for other jobs that are just as needed as 'talent' in football. Arguably anyone can be trained to be a half decent footballer, the Premiership is like the SAS of football if we want to use a crude analogy.
    How many professional footballers are there? How many soldiers or nurses or doctors or lawyers or businessmen are there?

You can't just develop footballing talent, you either have the potential or you don't really. Anyone can buckle down and study to become a doctor or lawyer with sufficient effort, and the only limiting factors for the army are fitness and mindset.

ReputationRep:
    I said if you were of the correct mindset. You can improve fitness. Medical issues apply to both and are obviously exempt from discusion...

Sure, go to college and study hard and get your grades? It's not rocket science. Just because not every does get the required grades doesn't meant they couldn't. Again, subject to the correct mindset.

How many professional footballers are there? How many soldiers or nurses or doctors or lawyers or businessmen are there?

You can't just develop footballing talent, you either have the potential or you don't really. Anyone can buckle down and study to become a doctor or lawyer with sufficient effort, and the only limiting factors for the army are fitness and mindset.
    Are you utterly mad? Do you not think it takes a little natural intelligence to be a doctor? I can't believe you're actually trying to differentiate the intelligence needed to be a doctor and the 'talent' needed to be a footballer, they are exactly the same things. If your doctor argument holds true then anyone can train to be a great footballer, just not everyone does :facepalm:

The mind boggles at what you are saying.

ReputationRep:
    Are you utterly mad? Do you not think it takes a little natural intelligence to be a doctor? I can't believe you're actually trying to differentiate the intelligence needed to be a doctor and the 'talent' needed to be a footballer, they are exactly the same things. If your doctor argument holds true then anyone can train to be a great footballer, just not everyone does :facepalm:

The mind boggles at what you are saying.
    Please present your evidence for natural intelligence. Natural intelligence doesn't exist -- anybody has the ability to increase their intelligence through hard work. The reason we have smart and dumb people is because of the workload each put into their mental development. It doesn't exclude stupid people from getting clever if they work at it.

Football is not the same. Many people are born but only a few have the physical attributes to become a professional footballer, and fewer yet combined with the vision that, yes, could be developed.

ReputationRep:
    Please present your evidence for natural intelligence. Natural intelligence doesn't exist -- anybody has the ability to increase their intelligence through hard work. The reason we have smart and dumb people is because of the workload each put into their mental development. It doesn't exclude stupid people from getting clever if they work at it.

Football is not the same. Many people are born but only a few have the physical attributes to become a professional footballer, and fewer yet combined with the vision that, yes, could be developed.
    Excuse me? You honestly think there is no such thing as natural intelligence? Everyone has equal ability? How then do you explain people that try hard at school and still attain perfectly average results? Because I've known plenty of them.

You say anyone can be a doctor, but I imagine anyone could be a professional football player if they devoted 48 hour weeks to training for 7 years as doctors do.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me? You honestly think there is no such thing as natural intelligence?
    Yep, you heard correct.

Everyone has equal ability?
    Hold on there fella, equal potential. Bar a few exceptions which I'll leave you to ponder on yourself, there's little reason to believe everyone isn't born with equal plasticity and potential to learn.

How then do you explain people that try hard at school and still attain perfectly average results? Because I've known plenty of them.
    Often linked to wrong methods of learning and insufficient support to correct such learning methods. Not down to 'natural intelligence'. Can you even tell me what that actually means from a biological standpoint?

You say anyone can be a doctor, but I imagine anyone could be a professional football player if they devoted 48 hour weeks to training for 7 years as doctors do.
    5 years, sometimes 4. How many footballers have come through to professional football without training throughout their youth?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 21, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.