Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can you get back and have a successful relationship with an ex? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Quite simply what the title says: Do you think its possible to get back and have a successful relationship with an ex?

Obviously there are a few factors to consider here, for example why did you break up and you would need to define "successful" as well, so lets say when you answer this question, you can use your own definition of a successful relationship.

Regarding the break up, let's assume it wasn't a bad break up and so again, you can think for yourself what you would consider a bad break up. We'll also say that is been around 8 months or so since you two have broken up (if that helps in anyway).

What do you guys think?

I wanted to try and make a general thread which I could then try to adapt to my own situation, but if it's easier to tell you details then let me know

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the reason you broke up and also if things have changed. If you broke up and then it goes back to the same way as before then no. You'll break up again because soon enough it'll get too much.

I think it is possible though to have a successful relationship with an ex, but I suppose people break up for a reason and they can either get stronger if they're reunited or it can just become a huge mess.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, probably not as there must have been some issues in the first place for the break up (incompatibility most often).

However, i have heard of real-life stories where there was a break up (say for 6-12 months) and then the couple got back together married, lived (relatively) happy ever after

Sometimes, time apart does make you realise what your priorities are. It depends on the people. They both have to be open to listening, and change, and not arrogant or egotistical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Quite simply what the title says: Do you think its possible to get back and have a successful relationship with an ex?

Obviously there are a few factors to consider here, for example why did you break up and you would need to define "successful" as well, so lets say when you answer this question, you can use your own definition of a successful relationship.

Regarding the break up, let's assume it wasn't a bad break up and so again, you can think for yourself what you would consider a bad break up. We'll also say that is been around 8 months or so since you two have broken up (if that helps in anyway).

What do you guys think?

I wanted to try and make a general thread which I could then try to adapt to my own situation, but if it's easier to tell you details then let me know
    I broke up with him after being very close for about half a year plus
    Some nasty things were said on both sides and we didn't speak for a few months
    Then I sent him a happy birthday message
    We started talking again and going out and it all sort of fell back into place and apologies were made
    We're still together a year on and are strong enough together that we are actually currently in a long distance relationship!
    So yes, it can work out in some cases - just have faith and go for it
    Life's too short to over analyse relationships just go with what feels right

ReputationRep:
    The thought of "getting back together" is a laughable idea for the ambitious minded

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't. For me, a break up would only happen after a lot of thought and conversation on the part of both people involved, so I'd only break up with someone if I was sure it's what I wanted to do, and I don't think I'd ever change my mind about that.

When I broke up with my ex after months of deciding if it was the right thing to do, I spent a long time regretting it and feeling like I should take him back, but I kept telling myself that I've done it now and it's time to move on. Now, 7 months on, I'm so glad I did it and stuck by my decision!

ReputationRep:
    It depends. I've seen a lot of younger couples break up because of immaturity etc and gotten back together later in life to be very happy together- one of these said couples has been married for 6 years and they have two children together.

However- it does depend on the circumstances. Lies/cowardliness involved, then no. Anything else- well it would be thought about at least.

ReputationRep:
    Prince William did it - presuming it doesn't end up in a messy divorce down the line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    The thought of "getting back together" is a laughable idea for the ambitious minded

Oh. Okay.

Let's just ignore that for plenty of people it works just fine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.